Unimog U1300L 435 1986 - Restore to former glory & add custom camper

Simon dix

Hello to Unimog enthusiasts, owners and others who take interest. It has taken me a while to become a member but I was waiting until I owned a Unimog otherwise I would have loitered in a way. Instead I have gone through or followed various threads and one that stands out in my mind was by Iain in Australia who converted his U1250 into a precision camper in and out. Another stand out was a guy in the US (Hodakaguy) who did his Mog up with his dad and sold it......serious craftsmanship!!

I have recently bought an ex-army 1986 U1300L. I am now living and working in Singapore where I stumbled across the beautiful machine. Axle ratio fast, 5 ton hydraulic rear mounted Werner winch, 8 forward, 8 reverse (2 crawler gears), OM366A, Turbo charged engine, Body type no. 2, Ringfeder trailer hitch. Not sure really what else to say about her as I am no expert on these off-road machines. I just know from what others have said that the engine and fast axles will be a big advantage?

I left school in Zimbabwe in 1998 and went to UK for 10 years. The grey clouds forced me to get a 1-year holiday visa in Australia and that’s where I call home now. My goal is to make sure Mogone (My name for my Unimog), Bushbaby (this is what my wife calls her) is done up as a unique camper so that she is compliant with Queensland rego.

This Unimog has literally sat around doing nothing and getting serviced for 33 years. This may come with its own problems. Oils etc were pristine when I bought her however I have changed all the oils and filters and she drives very nicely. Infact I was pleasantly surprised with how comfortable she drives. I have always wanted a Mog and now I have one..........the work and the learning curve begins in a serious way. I am fortunate that I have a bit of time where I can wait for cheaper parts and the like. This project does not need to be completed in 6 months’ time however I don’t intend to drag in on as I do want to make weekly progress even if some weeks are just on the computer and planning. The challenge is finding the right places to purchase spare parts ……not easy unless I go directly through Mercedes and thus re-mortgage my house ?.

I have already designed and fabricated a roof rack, side stairs, upgraded fuel tanks to 2x190l and also put an auxiliary battery box (Jack has been helping me throughout). The roof rack and side stairs are over engineered however I wanted the chunkiness to follow the curves of this shape Mog.

Although she does not exhibit any rust on the chassis I will be stripping the 33 year old rust proofing as it is rather brittle in places and with much use will quickly peel off. In the odd place it has already peeled off with the odd spanner handle knock etc. I have already stripped the cab internally and need to send her to the spray booth where we will remove the engine as well. She has a little rust under the cab towards the rear on the drivers and passenger side (the rust is pretty much symmetrical). I have put a deposit on another Mog 1987 which has identical rust and is also in impeccable form (its visual is definitely far from perfect in its current state, dirty, dusty with perished rubbers and a big dent in the passenger door) with 17,000km’s on the clock. I suppose I will keep saving, limit holidays and expenditure, pay the difference when I can)…….for the prices I could not knock this back. That’s all I am saying about Mogtwo. For Mogone the rust is nothing major but must be done properly and whilst I have her stripped the chassis will be treated and resprayed.

I have already started documenting the works on a PPP which I intend to put a link up so I can share with those who are interested. I will find a way to share or I will just post direct.
I plan to install aircon but using a 24volt compressor, auxiliary 24volt compressor and auxiliary alternator (same as current) running off the front pulley system. I am hoping to incorporate a 400ah system into what I hope will be a low COG pop up camper. I still have not decided if I want to make this a 3 berth or 6 berth machine? 6 berths would be ideal for when the folks and like visit but how often will this be? 6 berths just means a much smarter design to reflect COST SAVING, WEIGHT, COMPLIANCE, CAMPING VERSATILITY and ON-ROAD/OFF-ROAD VERSATILLITY. 1st world problems at this stage.

I would much appreciate any advice from the gurus out there for where I can obtain a part number manual or catalogue and the like. I have had to work out quite a bit on this vehicle but it’s a lot to take in when you don’t have a proper workshop manual for her. I am sure many mistakes to come my way. There are a number of things I have questions regarding Mogone but I will leave this for another time. Feel free to add comments or ask questions. I am new to the Mog scene so rather expect me to ask the enthusiasts and gurus than the other way round ?. I look forward to this journey very much.

I can’t wait until my first test drive when she is painted silver with gloss black bumpers, roof racks etc. For now I have to focus on completing Mogone and then travelling the Asian region north of Singapore and perhaps even as far as Mongolia? I will cherish the moment when I take her to one of my best places in the world, Fraser Island in Australia…………….need I say more for those that have experienced Fraser on their own journey. FREEDOM and TRANQULLITY!! If I have the funds one day maybe I’ll find myself travelling across the US and Canada. Ill keep working, dreaming about travel and educating myself about this particular Unimog.

Regards
Simon

P.s. When I recently bought Mogone I had no idea how to fix her or what she was really about. What I did know is that I have yearned over one of these for a while. I did not buy Mogone to turn heads but I bought this beaut because of its pure brutal awesomeness and the places she can take me where others might fall short. It may only be 2-5% of the time (geographically dependant) but who cares as this vehicle oozes an abundance of 4x4 off-road prowess and in my view, you are either going to find a reason to get a Mog or a reason not to? I am not in a rush when I am travelling (so 55-60mph down the motorway is fine with me) but if you are in a rush to get to the best camping spot………..please overtake me and wave, or if I am overtaking you I’ll offer to haul you out of the crap whichever comes first. If I am in the crap, I suppose I’ll dig for 2-5 days and then get out. You dig what you dig………and then all vehicles have their pro’s and con’s!!!

I am assuming Mogone will do 100km/hr (I am happy with 90km/hr) on a highway and I am also assuming she will use between 18-22litres/100km’s. I am not too keen to interfere with the drive train etc as I am a believer that this machine has been tried and tested and if left alone will work just fine. It’s the ultimate workhorse and I appreciate it already for what it was designed for and for what it is and what it can do.

Attachments

• Unimog Parts - Windshield rubber seal etc.pdf
    803.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1065.jpg
    IMG_1065.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 133
  • Original 1.jpg
    Original 1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Original 2.jpg
    Original 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Original 3.jpg
    Original 3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Simon dix

Some more Pics

Attachments

• IMG_0985.jpg
    IMG_0985.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 64

Simon dix

So as of today we have done quite a bit of work already to Mogone or Bushbaby as my wife calls her. Jack and I have stripped the cab to a bare state and also stripped many engine components to ensure easy lifting of cab at spray booth. All air tanks, hydraulic tanks and main hydraulic hose and return hose have been stripped among other items. From here on in I will try to update atleast weekly on the progress of this project. The PPP was way too big so had to transfer and create PDF but these docs at this point will give you a rough idea of what we have achieved.
I hope you like what you see. Happy reading. I have tried to keep the documentation of this project short and informative without too much blab!! I think the pictures tell most of the story.
I have certainly learnt along the way and certain things i would change slightly but overall I am really happy with everything. If you notice any poor welding or bird ********, that is my welding and the good welds are more likely Jack :cool:.
Christian thanks for the like earlier and thanks in advance for those that appreciate this. Much time and effort has gone into this project already. Documenting it is another timely job but I am not complaining as it is the start of a journey that is not part of the wheel rolling journey.

Attachments

• Mogone - page 1-5.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
  • Mogone - page 6-10.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Mogone - page 11-15.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • Mogone - page 16-20.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • Mogone - page 21-23.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Mogone - page 24-26 Work complete todate 30-08-2019.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

Wazak

Great stuff Simon one of my dream machines I'll be following your progress with interest.

Barry

Simon dix

Great stuff Simon one of my dream machines I'll be following your progress with interest.

Barry
Hi Barry, thanks........hopefully I can pull off a great job. Patience and persistence and a few dollars should pay off

Simon dix

Looks like you have found a great truck as a basis for your build.
The best source I have come across for manuals is: https://www.buchundbild.de/en/Unimog/MBtrac-literature-english/Unimog-Workshop-Manuals
Another great source of information that is more specific to Unimogs is the Benzworld forum: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/

I'll be following your build with interest.
Many thanks Greg, I have been in touch with the guys from Buchunbild. I really need that comprehensive manual as I don’t want to screw up the rebuild although I have marked absolutely everything. The manuals will give me a much better understanding of the beast

Sitec

Adventurer
Great find! I wouldn't think there are too many Mogs available in Singapore! Liking those wheels too! Already has decent tyres! See you in Oz one day!

Simon dix

Great find! I wouldn't think there are too many Mogs available in Singapore! Liking those wheels too! Already has decent tires! See you in Oz one day!
Hello Sitec Adventurer, for sure Mogs do not decorate the roads here in any way or form. I believe that the Mog's that are made redundant from the Military after x or y years and then get auctioned off (to only specific companies with specific licenses but i am not 100% sure). They cannot be registered in Singapore. Think I just got bloody lucky as I was looking for a Defender (site vehicle for the construction site) and in front of me sat this dusty dirty Mog.
BTW, Singapore is the most expensive place in the world to own a car....well, one that you can legally use on the road.

Wyuna

Observer
Nice find, and RHD for when u head home,

I’m not sure about trying to fit 6 in a mog camper, it’s tight with 2 people when on decent trips, just allow some room for swags on the roof and make them sleep on the ground.

Looking forwards to seeing how your build comes along, Iain’s thread inspired me to build my camper, there is some great info on his thread

Simon dix

Barry
Cheers Wazak, am currently in research and planning hence nothing much happening physically to the beast. More so she is quite bare and requires a little more stripping before being towed away to the spray booth. I have to admit the professional down the road does exceptional work. Its not that I can’t do it but more so that he will do a much much better job than me. His competence level is a 10 and mine probably a 6 without a hangover

Simon dix

Nice find, and RHD for when u head home,

I’m not sure about trying to fit 6 in a mog camper, it’s tight with 2 people when on decent trips, just allow some room for swags on the roof and make them sleep on the ground.

Looking forwards to seeing how your build comes along, Iain’s thread inspired me to build my camper, there is some great info on his thread
Hi Wyuna, agree about space and swags. If I want to license as a camper it has to have seats for 6 and beds for 6 (or what ever the number) and cannot be a slide on camper as this will be deemed commercial and then the annual vehicle tax is charged accordingly. However if I do go with 6 berth there will be a double bed above where rear 3 are seated, a fold down side on the rh side and a fold down at the rear so no space is lost in the space. I am also toying with the idea of it being a quick slide off (can’t be obvious though ?) as this will suit my camping needs at Fraser Island or double island point where you can choose your spot, slide off the camper and head off for a joy ride, surfing or what ever takes the fancy that day. Come back to your house by the seaside with the auxiliary bank of batteries fully charged by the secondary (back up) alternator and the battery bank on the camper being charged by solar. Camper must work the same either on or off the truck if I choose to go down this more complicated route......I seem to be driven by certain challenges.
Taking weight and compliance into account the design will have to be very well thought of if I do go down the path of a 6 berth. Still drawing on CAD to assess workable space pros and cons. Would love to get my hands on the latest cad and solid works.
I went down the road today on the way to work and had a look at an electronic modular regulator to use as a custom build semi automatic tire system for inflation/deflation. I plan to either use a monitor screen to adjust the milliamps which in turn determines the pressure (inflate or deflate) of each tyre. Another option I think will be great is a bank of switches with predetermined mill amp setting to determine pressure for sand, main road, dirt road corrugations etc. I wiill probably fit a secondary 24volt compressor or just take the stock standard single cylinder Mog spare (not cheap)? Not gonna find an air compressor in the middle of the Simpson desert ? but straight forward to change.
Iain did an exceptional job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles