Unimogadventures - Our build and travel thread

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Been a couple of big weekends working on the truck. First was to take the UG3/40 tranmission out.

2021-10-31 17.58.11.jpg

In order to do that, I had to take the front and rear axles off - to get enough space for the transplant.

2021-10-31 17.58.56.jpg

Then to take out the UG3/100 transmission, which came out quite easily, one I got everything else out.2021-11-07 14.02.28.jpg

Next was to take out the Claas overdrive, which proved to be a lot harder than then transnission to be honest, there is not much space in a U1250 to get it out the bottom, took a lot of twisting and tilting to get it down. It is much easier to take it out the top with the cab raised.
2021-11-07 14.02.23.jpg

Next to to fit the UG3/100.

First was to replace all the transmission mounts, clean up all the gunk from almost 40 years of travel. Then a wire bush and paint the chassis behind the transmission mounts.

It took about half and hour to balance the transmission on the trans jack. Then it was squeezing the transmission up into the frame, it is bigger than the old one, so took a lot of tilting, maneuvering and levering to get it into position. After about an hour or so, it was in, and then it was lining up all the bolts, mounts and then fitting the spacers. Right now the brand new UG100 /8 transmission is sitting nicely in the frame. Next weekend I'll start putting the truck back together.

2021-11-07 19.05.41.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Ian! Looks like massive work!! How's the hand holding up? So did the new gearbox clear the floor locker? I'd not realised the Class Overdrive went between the engine and trans. So I take it you still have the original bellhousing output plate and prop shaft. Is this to give you better overall gearing, as well as saving some weight by removing the overdrive?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
HI Simon, hand survived, probably overused it a bit as was quite sore today, but it's getting better. The new gearbox was taller than the old, but it just clears, I had to push it forward when lifting in, then move it back into position. It has about 70mm of clearance, which is enough I think. 2021-11-08 18.28.49.jpg

It is a tight fit that's for sure,
2021-11-08 18.30.17.jpg

As you can see the bulge on the new gearbox is quite a bit more than the old one, but the shift cylinder is now on the other side, to it gives me a bit more room.
2021-11-08 18.28.17.jpg

This is the old one, I'll re-route the air lines back under the bracket like I had before.

2021-10-31 17.58.16.jpg

The new transfer case has an extra sect of mounting holes, which is a lot deeper than the old on, sticks out the bottom a bit more, so will be the lowest point on the chassis. If it turns out to be a problem, it's nothing an angle grinder can' fix, but for now I'll leave it.

2021-11-08 18.32.40.jpg

The new gearbox is also deeper than the old one, which was flush with the transfer case, only about 25mm or so, 2021-11-08 18.34.33.jpg

Weight wise, I the new UG100 s about 40KG heavier, and the overdrive is around 60kg, so a small saving in weight.

joeblack5

That is an impressive amount of heavy work with lots of potential of crushed fingers and limbs.
I was already sweating putting the transfer case under our small bus.
Great job.

pairospam

Observer
Niiiiice...

It is always a pleasure to see that you are not the only crazy dude that makes all these efforts all by himself, and succeeds. Congratulations, Iain.

Hope the rest of the assembly work goes smoothly and the Mog's driving gets as smooth and sweet as you wanted.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The shed is looking a bit cleaner now, the front and back axles are now on the truck. The silver trolley in the foreground is what I made to be able to move and align the axles, couldn't have done it without it. The hydraulic jacks enable me to lift the toque tubes. This made it pretty easy to line up the prop shaft and then the torque balls.

2021-11-21 17.03.32.jpg

I've cleaned up all the fuel and air lines, along with the wiring. I've given it enough slack to allow for the movement of the camper and chassis, and cab and chassis.

2021-11-21 17.02.36.jpg

I've decided to mount the valve block under the passenger seat. This will protect ti from heat and dirt, and give easy access as well.
2021-11-21 17.01.07.jpg

Getting the rear axle in was relatively easy, only real difficult bit was aligning the panhard rod. Took a bit of jacking and moving, but I got there in the end.

2021-11-21 17.00.42.jpg

I've got a bit more work to sort out the air lines and cable on the passenger side, as I need to ensure everything is clear of the exhaust.

2021-11-21 17.00.52.jpg

Next weekend I'll finish up tidying this up, and get the fuel tank and side storage back on, then all going well, the truck will be ready for a test drive.

BjarniThor

In order to replace (or take out for a repair) the transmission on these Unimogs, is it really neccesary to to pull out both axles ?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
In order to replace (or take out for a repair) the transmission on these Unimogs, is it really necessary to to pull out both axles ?
On a small one like mine, I'd say yes, as the transmission needs to go come out at quite an angle, especially if you want to fit a UG100/8 which is quite a bit bigger. I know that if you have a U1700 then you can take it out by pulling back the axles/torque tubes back away from the the with a ratchet strap, then you can lower the transmission straight down.

Reactions: mog

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The truck is finally mobile again. No big crunching noises and the gearbox changes nice and smooth.

2021-11-28 20.39.47.jpg

The pneumatic gear change works great. The forward/ reverse change is super quick and smooth. The High/low range takes a few seconds to change. The engraving on the buttons came out great I think.

2021-11-28 20.43.16.jpg

2021-11-28 20.40.43.jpg

The valve block fits great under the seat, should be nice and safe.

2021-11-28 20.44.48.jpg

I kept on hitting my head on the fuel filter, so I added a bit of carpet, it worked great, I lost count of the number of time it saved me.

2021-11-28 20.45.23.jpg

The shed is finally a bit cleaner. We have an a/c unit getting fitted this week, just in time for all the work to be finished. I'll fit the fuel tank and the storage locker, and the we will be off for a test drive. I have the annual roadworthy inspection in a week or so, and then hopefully we can get away for a few days.

2021-11-28 20.45.45.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94