Unimogadventures - Our build and travel thread

Jostt

Adventurer
Hello Ian , very Lucky whit the history....which cain of springs You have in your truck? King? Because of yellow, maybe I found space ok the flycases to bring me a set when I go to Australia in october:sneaky:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
They are custom made King Springs - as my truck weighs 8tons, I needed stiffer springs for the rear - my rear axle is around 4.5tons, so I had some made to give me the right ride height at full load.

Jostt

Adventurer
Ok , that's a good business...I have It in my Toyota and I love this brand , i Will ask, thanks for the info

pairospam

Observer
Hi Iain:

Good to see you getting through all the troubles with your usual good sense and skills. Good indeed that you were not under the truck when it slipped.

At the very beginning I had too a few episodes involving the jacks, and actually I was under the frame when the truck slipped off the jack and the trunks it was on. Fortunatelly I was able to quickly move in between both rear axles so nothing happened... but it was quite a close call. I pay much more attention when lifting the truck since then.

You can see the third axle lying on the floor after that incident, adding more sadness to this pretty old pictures. They remind me that we are dealing with many tons here, and that you should always be very aware of that fact.

Greetings from Chile.

121.JPG4447_122_3.jpg

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Yes, unless you have had a close call you tend to forget how dangerous some of the things we do when working on our trucks.

Sitec

Adventurer
Good to hear from you Pairospam... Was wandering how your project is going. You're very lucky you managed to get between the axles! Too close I think. That said I wouldn't have wanted a Mog on top of me either!!!

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Been a while since I update this thread, and I have made a few modifications to the truck.

First off we fitted new seats, BMW seats with a lot of extra padding, which Trish covered in Alcantara. They are really comfortable, a lot smaller and lighter than the all electric Range Rover seats. They were leather, and just to uncomfortable for wearing shorts on a hot day. The Alcantara is great, shows the dirt a bit more, but very nice to sit on. I made a cover to hide all the mechanisms.

Trish---Denim-Shorts-02039.jpg

They work great, and held us nicely in place when we got airborne when I didn;t see a series of big bumps on the beach - I think I might hold the Camper Mog Triple jump record.

jump.jpg

We did a 3500km trip and the seats are really comfortable. It was great to get some warm weather for a change.

2018-12-01 13.39.19.jpg

This weekend I started on a long list of projects for the truck. Since the new seats are smaller, I made a new console - it is bigger than the old one, so we can lose even more stuff inside it.

2018-12-09 17.19.10.jpg

I also redid the sound insulation whilst the console was out - 7 layers in total - and it makes a big difference to the transmission noise at idle, still have to take it for a drive but I think it will improve it even more.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Your new seats look really nice. We just finished putting in new seat a few weeks ago as well. I was curious how you mounted your seat belts. Are they attached to the seats or the threaded holes at the base of the rear wall? Our seats came with seat mounted belts, but we also have the original mounted belts, too.

I like your console. I'm considering doing something like that at the base of our pass-through door. What did you make it out of?

Thanks,
Michael
finished-cab-interior.jpg

Jostt

Adventurer
Its amazing how your truck is quite...thats the first thing I felt when you show me the truck, I must do something similar, I have some good info from Graig to take some ideas

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Your new seats look really nice. We just finished putting in new seat a few weeks ago as well. I was curious how you mounted your seat belts. Are they attached to the seats or the threaded holes at the base of the rear wall? Our seats came with seat mounted belts, but we also have the original mounted belts, too.

I like your console. I'm considering doing something like that at the base of our pass-through door. What did you make it out of?

Thanks,
Michael

The seatbelts are attached to the seat bases, but I had to reinforce the whole seat base and floor to ensure they are strong enough. Here in Australia, we need an Engineers certificate for changing seat belt mounts and seat mounts. Luckily for me these bolt onto the same bases as the old ones. The seat bases are bolted to the floor with M10 Gr12.8 bolts, with 75x50x5m plate to reinforce the floor. The corner where the seat belt attachment is gets two bolts and a 100x50x5mm plate.

The console is made from 10mm marine ply, covered in carpet inside and out. We had some leather left over from covering the dash, so used that for the lid.

Wow bunny hopping ...hope you both had seatbelts on ...great pictures

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Yes, always have our seatbelts on, they held us nicely in place, we tied everything down on the bed when driving, so apart from the pillows, and coconut we had left on the bed which ended up on the floor, everything else stayed put.

Its amazing how your truck is quite...thats the first thing I felt when you show me the truck, I must do something similar, I have some good info from Graig to take some ideas

It is a lot quieter now with the new insulation, Trish was amazed at the difference when she got in the truck. Still have to see what it is like on the road, might do some measurements again, as I still have the results from the first sound tests we did.

Last edited:

BjarniThor

Sorry if slightly offtopic, but I wonder how it will work to have tree seperate
seats in the cab of the Unimog? (Middle seat instead of a centre console) Can it be made to fit properly, with enough space for the gear levers? Maybe to tight ?
The centre seat could maybe have enough room for a child, teenager or a small adult?

I wonder how a secure approved 3-point seat could be installed for this
middle seat. This can probably be solved though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne