Unimogadventures - Our build and travel thread

Sitec

Adventurer
I'd say that's perfect revs to speed. Ours will do 100kph, but the red band starts around 1900rpm from memory! It's on the list of things to address! :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Wow, that's a low revving motor

The bigger older engines are. It's a 10.4 lt V6 long throw engine so in theory huge torque and low rev range. Being a Merc though you wouldn't know it!! A Cummins Signature has it's peak torque at around 1000 rpm, and max RPM at 1900 rpm.

Sitec

Adventurer
You'd have to be happy with that! It'll be interesting to see how the figures change with the new gearbox and different rpm's. Great pic too!! When's your next trip and where too? :)

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Fitted the first tyre to the new beadlock wheels. It has the inserts to hold the tyre on the rim and internal sensors for the tyrep pressure monitoring system.

2022-02-16 15.10.19.jpg

I went with an interal one, as the I didn't think and external sensor would survice long on these wheels. This is a bit of an improvement to the first TPMS, it reads the pressure when you start up, and if it drops by more than 10%, it gives you a warning. You can also set alarms for the low pressure, high pressure and high temperature. The temperature readings inside the wheel should give a good indication of what is going on inside the tyre. The extranal sensor did not change in temperature much.

2022-02-16 16.13.44.jpg

I went for an external aerial as well, mounted under the truck over the transmission.

2022-02-16 16.14.19.jpg
I've bought a new dash cam as well, this one has 4K resolution, and fits nicely up on the overhead console. It will record continuously, so we will capture everything. I'll still use the GoPro for specific things, but this will make sure we don;t miss anything interesting that happens on the road.

2022-02-16 16.14.24.jpg

I experienced a debeading while taking my vehicle on its maiden “debugging” trip to Morocco in July 2006. In a muddy creekbed. Fortunately Thomas Ritter, an additional Unicat mechanic, and 2 other Unicats including a 6x6 MAN were present.
It was then that we discovered Mercedes had mysteriously neglected to install internal beadlocks (option A31) into the 3 piece Lemmerz wheels even though A31 is standard when A30 (CTIS) has been ordered. Installing the outer rim piece and putting the snap ring in place when a beadlock is present requires a massive hydraulic press.
So I quickly got the forgotten beadlocks from Unimog North America but they languished on my front (north) deck to my wife’s chagrin. I was always paranoid about taking full advantage of deflation which in turn led to a couple of (very) bad boggings.
In 2014, a year after Martha died, Wartimefinds put a huge batch of virtually pristine Hutchinsons on sale for $125 each. Correct bolt pattern, offset a bit low at 90mm. Hellgeth has the “best” 120mm Hutchinsons; for ~€1700 each.
Now that I have beadlocks and almost new Hutchinson wheels, no wobble in steering at all, unlike previously. The 5.6” wider track creates no steering issues but to stay legal I got some rubber fender extensions with poprivets. Un-necessary in rear. Tipover angle increased by maybe 2 degrees, good side effect. No wheel bearing issues after 30,000 miles. Eventually located and installed longer European made wheel studs intended for Actros trucks to accommodate 25mm wheel center thickness.
But the very best thing is fear free deflation down to ~24% road pressure. I’ve only used it once “in anger” so far but it paid off that time. I was in Ukraine of all places that day.
Bolttogether Hutchinson wheels with internal beadlocks are “the best thing since sliced bread”.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles