Unimog Camper under construction

LostInTheWorld

Observer
Your new seats look really nice. We just finished putting in new seat a few weeks ago as well. I was curious how you mounted your seat belts. Are they attached to the seats or the threaded holes at the base of the rear wall? Our seats came with seat mounted belts, but we also have the original mounted belts, too.

I like your console. I'm considering doing something like that at the base of our pass-through door. What did you make it out of?

Thanks,
Michael
finished-cab-interior.jpg

Jostt

Adventurer
Its amazing how your truck is quite...thats the first thing I felt when you show me the truck, I must do something similar, I have some good info from Graig to take some ideas

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Your new seats look really nice. We just finished putting in new seat a few weeks ago as well. I was curious how you mounted your seat belts. Are they attached to the seats or the threaded holes at the base of the rear wall? Our seats came with seat mounted belts, but we also have the original mounted belts, too.

I like your console. I'm considering doing something like that at the base of our pass-through door. What did you make it out of?

Thanks,
Michael
The seatbelts are attached to the seat bases, but I had to reinforce the whole seat base and floor to ensure they are strong enough. Here in Australia, we need an Engineers certificate for changing seat belt mounts and seat mounts. Luckily for me these bolt onto the same bases as the old ones. The seat bases are bolted to the floor with M10 Gr12.8 bolts, with 75x50x5m plate to reinforce the floor. The corner where the seat belt attachment is gets two bolts and a 100x50x5mm plate.

The console is made from 10mm marine ply, covered in carpet inside and out. We had some leather left over from covering the dash, so used that for the lid.

Wow bunny hopping ...hope you both had seatbelts on ...great pictures

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Yes, always have our seatbelts on, they held us nicely in place, we tied everything down on the bed when driving, so apart from the pillows, and coconut we had left on the bed which ended up on the floor, everything else stayed put.

Its amazing how your truck is quite...thats the first thing I felt when you show me the truck, I must do something similar, I have some good info from Graig to take some ideas
It is a lot quieter now with the new insulation, Trish was amazed at the difference when she got in the truck. Still have to see what it is like on the road, might do some measurements again, as I still have the results from the first sound tests we did.

Last edited:

BjarniThor

Sorry if slightly offtopic, but I wonder how it will work to have tree seperate
seats in the cab of the Unimog? (Middle seat instead of a centre console) Can it be made to fit properly, with enough space for the gear levers? Maybe to tight ?
The centre seat could maybe have enough room for a child, teenager or a small adult?

I wonder how a secure approved 3-point seat could be installed for this
middle seat. This can probably be solved though.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
We just got back from a 3000km trip around the Outback in our truck. It was very hot, 40-45C most of the time. We saw some great places. We left late in the afternoon, and drove 600km into the night. Our headlights are all pretty good, giving us around 600-800m clear visibility. We had no problems with cows or kangaroos and there was virtually no traffic, I would not recommend driving at night in something smaller, our bull bar is pretty solid, not like that of a car.

There are some great places we still have to visit, like this gorge, it is a bit dry at the moment, it would be spectacular after some rain. This is Copperfield Gorge, the result of a volcano some time in the distance past, the dark rock is all lava, and there are various sheets of it, we took some great photos, and flew our new drone around as well. Spot the Mog :)
Road Trip -0032.jpg

Our solar system is showing it's age - these panels used to put out 6A each, but now all three are only producing about 7A. We got them in Melbourne, and they worked quite well in the begining, but have steadily been reducing in output. It is about time we upgraded our power systems anyway, they are around 6-7 years old as a minimum, and the batteries are also showing their age. Time to look at some new lithium batteries.

Road Trip -0539-1.JPG

One thing we also found was that the fridge ventilation needs an upgrade. It was over 40C, and we had a hot wind blowing on the side of the truck with the fridge vents, and the wind trapped the heat, poor fridges were struggling, but they still kept the freezer at -15C and 0C on the fridge, they just seldom cycled in and out. I think some fan forced ventilation is the go, so I'm going to add a duct and some silent computer fans to help get the heat out of the fridge cabinet. We will also as some extra insualtion to the fridges, as using my thermal heat gun, I measure the fridge out shells at around 28C, and the interior of the fridge cabinet was 48C, so that is a lot of cold leaking out.

It was very hot the whole way, over 45C on the way home and the engine was running at around 98C, quite warm, but then diesels like running hot, too cold is bad for them. The aircon worked great, kept the inside of the truck a pleasant 28C all the time, getting out to stretch our legs and quick photo shoot was shock. It was a very dry heat, the sweat dried instantly, and we were constantly drinking water, we went through at least 7 litres as day each.

Trish - Train Station -04893.jpg

We also gave the truck a bit of a facelift before we left, we added some purple stripes to the truck, which turn pink at night under headlights. This trip was special for us, one of the reasons we went back to Lawn Hill was it was where we went 7 years previously after my wife had completed her cancer treatments and reconstructions. Here's hoping we can go back there time and time again.

Road-Trip--0437.jpg

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Looking good Iain, thanks for the update.

I would love to hear about your power system upgrades as I am just finishing up a few on our truck. If you have the time, please keep posting!

Recommended books for Overlanding

762X39

Explorer
We also gave the truck a bit of a facelift before we left, we added some purple stripes to the truck, which turn pink at night under headlights. This trip was special for us, one of the reasons we went back to Lawn Hill was it was where we went 7 years previously after my wife had completed her cancer treatments and reconstructions. Here's hoping we can go back there time and time again.
I am so happy she made it through. I interrupted my life last year while Katherine had her cancer surgery (she is down to 1/2 of 1 kidney, a tumour took the first one when she was 5). I got really good at giving her sponge baths and changing her dressings when we couldn't get to a hospital up north or had to show the nurse how to do it. I am about 4 years from retirement and am looking forward to working on the Mog as well as spending time in the bush with Katherine.

CragMog

Hi Iain - How do you manage the heat in the camper? I know you have good insulation, but must assume the insides gets warm if it's 45°C outside? How much heat do you get through the windows?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I am so happy she made it through. I interrupted my life last year while Katherine had her cancer surgery (she is down to 1/2 of 1 kidney, a tumour took the first one when she was 5). I got really good at giving her sponge baths and changing her dressings when we couldn't get to a hospital up north or had to show the nurse how to do it. I am about 4 years from retirement and am looking forward to working on the Mog as well as spending time in the bush with Katherine.
Hope all is going well with your wife John, it a difficult thing when the most imnportant person in your life gets sick. It really puts the rest of it in perspective. Wishing you safe travels in the future.

Hi Iain - How do you manage the heat in the camper? I know you have good insulation, but must assume the insides gets warm if it's 45°C outside? How much heat do you get through the windows?
Nothing much you can so other than try and keep the heat out using shade sails and awnings. Inside would be around 3 degrees cooler at best, so we would retreat to the water during the afternoon, swimming or just sitting under a tree. If all else fails, we would just use the outside shower and wet our shirts every 1/2 hour. evaporative cooling works great in dry heat.

It shows how long since we have been camping in hot weather, we made the mistake of choosing the site where were parked almost directly facing east, this mean the back of the truck was facing the afternoon sun. We have the rear window blinds down, but one day forgot and came back to the truck it was 47C inside. What we usually do is park with the side door facing west, then the shade sail keeps that side of the truck in shade during the afternoon. We are looking at making some side extensions to the shade sail, to help when it is really hot.

Jostt

Adventurer
Nice pics Ian, I had this summer the same problem whit the fridge under 40c°...the fan would be the solution

Wyuna

Observer
It’s good to see the mog out and about,

the fans will help the fridge, look for the magnetic lev fans, longer life span, less noise, and can be used with a variable voltage reducer.

I have mine set down at 9 volts as 12 volts is too loud for me.

i also connected up fans for the charger and inverte, to reduce the heat.

i have mine on a switch, but I should have wired up with a thermostat at the time.

what are you thinking for your lithium setup?, from memory you had spiral agm’s in set in the floor?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Thanks, I have a couple of magnetic bearing fans already for cooling over compartments already. They are really quiet, I'll get a couple of the same ones. I will set up a thermostat, I have some spare ones still.

Just starting my research into Lithium, the spiral AGM are coming to the end of their life, and I might as well get some nuew technology, as they will be a lot lighter and should last a bit longer as well. I'll need to upgrade the solar and charging systems, either with Sterling Power systems or something similar.