Unimog 435 1700L 10 stud rims info (ex Australian ADF)

Oldgrey52

Can anyone help with the following info:
PCD and offset

Recommend a supplier in the US for ex military rims and tyres particularly the Hutchinson 2 piece aluminium to suit the mog.
Are the MRAP rims suitable?
Thanks
oldgrey52

Iain_U1250

Explorer
You will probably find it is cheaper to get them from Mog Central or Unidan here in Australia, they buy them with the 395/85R20s by the container load, so the transport costs are shared over 40 or 50 wheels. No matter what, you will still be up for the import duties, GST, port fees, etc etc.

You also need the longer wheel studs, as the stock Oz-military wheel studs are too short for the Hutchinsons.

You will probably find it is cheaper to get them from Mog Central or Unidan here in Australia, they buy them with the 395/85R20s by the container load, so the transport costs are shared over 40 or 50 wheels. No matter what, you will still be up for the import duties, GST, port fees, etc etc.

You also need the longer wheel studs, as the stock Oz-military wheel studs are too short for the Hutchinsons.
Regarding the studs, I am using the original ones on my U500 with Hutchinsons. 3 threads are showing inside the nut, but I am using sleeved lug nuts that have about 4 threads below the level of the wheel face to "compensate". They maintained their torque of 600 N-m over a 45000 km trip last and this year.
I have 5 stock steel Lemmerz wheels with 161mm offset, 335mm bolt circle and 281mm hole in the center that you can have for free, but they weigh 53kg each and shipping from Alaska would be $$$$$. And I like Hutchinsons a lot better, they are better balanced and lighter and mine have an offset of 90 or 100mm which gives me better stability.
If you get the military Hutchinson-395 combination they will probably have very heavy run-flats inside (with messy grease) that you will want to remove and replace with bead-locks.

Charlie

Charlie

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The ex-ADF Unimog wheels studs are shorter than the normal Unimog wheel studs. Not sure why, maybe weight saving :)

Jason F1

Hutchinson alloys are ~30mm thick. Standard Australian military U1700L steel rims are ~11mm thick. Longer studs are absolutely needed, don't risk short studs. Common name truck studs of similar size go for ~$2 each, same price as the two piece wheel nuts. Mercedes longer studs for Unimog seem about $25 each here in Australia. I am assured by the importer that its a fair price, as there may be no other option.
395 tyre with Hutchinson run-flat and alloy two piece rim from USA weights >200kg. I know, as I just brought brand new wheels into the country (and almost injured myself moving them). I am planning to bring in more brand newies for my use, but yes, the freight and duty etc far exceeds cost of wheel. I only do this as I want new wheels (not slightly used wheels) but not at a new wheel local price (downside risk is; 2008 year made). See my site: myexpeditions.info if you want more info on these wheels.

Jason F1

Hutchinson ex military USA wheels usually have the run-flats. They are a combined run-flat bead-lock. The wheels can weight a lot but there are some advantages in retaining them. If you decide to leave them in, the lubricant is a consideration, see my web site for more info: myexpeditions.info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94