Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB CB Radio - Thoughts?

Gumbeaux

I tried using the forum search and didn't find too much posted. I am considering a Uniden Bearcat 980SSB for installation in my 1994 Isuzu Trooper.

I like the Uniden as it is more modern, and can probably fit in a dash DIN slot with minor modification. Have heard mostly good things about the radio but figured I'd ask the EP community what you guys think, or if any of you have had experiences with it

Thanks!
Z

Finlay

Triarius
I've got the 880, which is largely the same (just SSB and Bluetooth are different). It's been a great CB and it's held up well over the past 5 years. The integrated weather radio has been my favorite feature.

If this is for trail stuff, you won't need the SSB, and to a large extent, it won't work unless your friends are also SSB capable. So you can save a few bucks by getting the 880 instead.

Gumbeaux

Thanks! In addition to overlanding, I'll also be using the Trooper to go from South Louisiana to WA state a fair amount - I figured SSB might give me something to play with on what will otherwise be a very long drive. LOL

PhulesAU

Explorer
SSB is basically a waste, when operating in the 11 mtr. band It might be useful if you have a dedicated contact, but there's damn little general use.

Gumbeaux

Ended up getting the 980 anyway. 100 bucks shipped from Amazon Prime, it seemed foolish not to get it.

Picked up my Francis 4' fiberglass antenna, coax, and a Astatic microphone along with the mounting base from the local CB shop today. Need to get my sPod wired up this week so I can do the install next weekend.

I had it for about a week. Worked fine. I was more bugged by the fact that I wanted the Amber lighting shown on the box which is not possible.
Rumor has it that Uniden photoshopped the Red LED lighting so bad it came out Amber for the box pictures :(

jeep670

Adventurer
I just got a 980. The Clarifier knob on the radio does not look like the one on the box. Not sure what to think about this....

1aa625fc2b474f537b9de67c5c5b65da.jpg

09fec46301a91c9146b96824b6c6beae.jpg

Last edited:

Gumbeaux

Mine also had the larger bottom knob.

2u5524m.jpg

I do know that there have been a couple of revisions to this radio. I know originally, there was a warning beep when making adjustments that was so annoying, folks posted Youtube videos on how to disable it. Uniden made a change at that time to program a function to turn that beep on/off. Possibly when the knob change occurred as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior