Unicat Unimogs for China..

skysix

Adventurer
Complete with CTIS and what might be hydraulic extension lines at the rear - perhaps will tow a powered trailer like the MaxiMog...must be some reason to have it that aggressively bobtailed...

haven

Expedition Leader
With that big air conditioning unit on the roof, maybe this conversion adds extra seats to create a bus. Use it to transport climbers and eco-tourists from the Lhasa Gonggar Airport to the north side of Mt. Everest.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
My bet is they're extreme all-terrain/all weather mobile extermination set-ups... Don't laugh, they alredy have a bus that does that...

Cheers

Dave

With that big air conditioning unit on the roof, maybe this conversion adds extra seats to create a bus. Use it to transport climbers and eco-tourists from the Lhasa Gonggar Airport to the north side of Mt. Everest.

The China travel agency that I have been in contact with, Diethelm Travel, made an itinerary for me that included that side trip. They said the road is pretty rough.

Charlie

Kindof a big little rig

I'd love to know the reason for choosing the heaviest platform for a rig that looks like it only has enough room for carrying one 1/3 of it's avail payload.
I've worked w/ 2450's in harsh conditions all over the world and if we didn't need the payload capacity the lighter 1650 or even a 1550 that is a bit lighter and smaller to get around in the nasty stuff is definitely preferred
If its a power thing,we've ran the 1600 @ 220hp in the fields w/ no issuesfor years.

As long as the weight for traction isn't there when putting full big torque #'s to the axles etc. the medium series Mogs handle the extra power very well.

That is truly a sharp rig!!!

We just finished a 6 door build on an old 406 that all the stops were pulled out for. See it in action on you tube,search Magpul Unimog. It's really impressive to watch.

Jay.
couchoffroad.com

U 500 frontend protection

First of all that is one beauty of a rig you have!

We have a 06 U500 coming in for a lite expedition build in a couple weeks.
We are probably going to set him up w/ a very aesthetically pleasing as well as functional bull bar housing an 18K hydraulic winch.
Our armor work is very exceptional so I'd like to ask you what things you find important and also what may be lacking in the unit that is on your U500.
Our design will be very different than yours or any others I've seen out there.
Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Jay w/ couchoffroad.com

We are probably going to set him up w/ a very aesthetically pleasing as well as functional bull bar housing an 18K hydraulic winch.
Our armor work is very exceptional so I'd like to ask you what things you find important and also what may be lacking in the unit that is on your U500.

My front end bar now has a 20K DP hydraulic winch on it. Very important but not visible in the pictures is a massive pin type device for attaching tow straps, mounted in the center between the two mounting s for the plate, with 4 X 20mm 10.9 screws. The winch/bull bar plate is generally made out of 16mm steel plate.
To put the weight and tow strap thing in perspective, I have
40' 2" Masterpull Super Yanker 134K breaking strength
45' 40mm Marlow KERR 66K breaking strength
30' 1.125 nylon rope with hardware at both ends left over from F350 days

The truck with camper, with full tanks and full of recovery gear, tools, spare parts and supplies weighs about 27.5K lb.

So you need good attachments to the frame:
4 x 16mm 10.9 bolts on the bottom on each side, 8 total
2 x 24mm 10.9 bolts on top

You'd hate to have 900 lb of bull bar and winch flying through the air!
Speaking of the weight, if a camper is contemplated in the rear it needs all the wieght it can get in the front.

Charlie

dzzz

To put the weight and tow strap thing in perspective, I have
40' 2" Masterpull Super Yanker 134K breaking strength

Charlie

Are you concerned that the 135K Super Yanker won't stretch adequately?

I'm getting a bridle for one end of the super yanker to try and not destroy the other vehicle. What I don't like about a bridle is the use of metal between it and the super yanker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94