Understanding Wrangler/Gladiator drivetrains.

MTVR

I was just looking at the base model 2021 Gladiator Sport configurator, and it appears that they all come with Dana 44 axles now.

I thought the Wranglers below the Rubicon came with Dana 30 front axles, and I had assumed that Gladiator would be the same, so I was a little confused.

I also saw the Max Tow package, that gets 4.10 gears, a locking rear axle, heavy duty brakes, and heavy duty "wide" Dana 44 axles, among other things. Beyond the 4.10 gears and rear locker, how do those axles compare to the standard Dana 44 axles?

And there appears to be three transmissions, a manual and two automatics. One of the automatics is the only gearbox you can get with the Max Tow option.

Thanks in advance...

Don’t know about the transmissions I thought there was only 2 for gas powered. I think the diesel has a different transmission. I have owned many Jeeps but the recent ones include. A 2008 jkur a 2018 jlur and a 2020 gladiator rubicon Now the thing is yes the max tow on the sport has the same Dana 44 as the rubicon but the transfer case and front axel are different the newer. Dana 44 on the gladiator are beefier than on the jlur I don’t know what the sport gladiator has up front

Jurfie

Adventurer
They are all HD D44s front and rear on the Gladiator. The axles on the Max Tow, Rubicon, Mojave and High Altitude are all 1.5” wider than the Sport, Sport S, and Overland.

@Jeep or Tacoma is right; there is a 6-speed manual and 8-speed auto for the gasser. The diesel has a different 8-speed auto to handle the additional torque. The Max Tow is only available on the gasser Sport S and only with the auto (which increases the towing capacity over the manual, hence “max tow”). The diesel has a lower tow rating, but tows the lower weights better (less effort) than the gas version.

MTVR

They are all HD D44s front and rear on the Gladiator. The axles on the Max Tow, Rubicon, Mojave and High Altitude are all 1.5” wider than the Sport, Sport S, and Overland...

The Max Tow is only available on the gasser Sport S...

Thanks.

It does show the Max Tow package is available as an option on the base-model Sport (non "S") model.

Looks like a cheap way to get the wider HD 44 Rubicon axles, 4.10 gears, and a rear locker on the Gladiator, and if I'm not rock-crawling, I wouldn't need much more than that...

(none)

Adventurer
Thanks.

It does show the Max Tow package is available as an option on the base-model Sport (non "S") model.

Looks like a cheap way to get the wider HD 44 Rubicon axles, 4.10 gears, and a rear locker on the Gladiator, and if I'm not rock-crawling, I wouldn't need much more than that...

Just to muddy the waters a bit more for you. The max tow package comes with a limited slip rear diff, not a locking rear diff. The limited slip is a worm gear design, similar to a Tru-Track or Torsen diff. No clutches to wear out, no electronics needed, reacts immediately. Pretty great for about any situation where you aren't going to lift a tire, at that time it becomes an open diff.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Thanks.

Yes, sorry; we don’t have the non-S Sport here in Canada, so I wasn’t aware the Max Tow was available on that model. Many people go with the Max Tow option for exactly the reason you suggest; I would do that if I didn’t want some of the other “nice to have” options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior