Ultra low sulfur diesel in other countries, experiences or modifications way to get around it.

Ninja Truck

R.O.A.D OVERLAND
Good day everyone I'm looking at heading down to Baja this winter to test out some of the mods / equipment on the truck. So far what I have read there is little to no ULSD once I pass the border. Has anyone had experience running regular diesel in ULSD FUSO trucks?

Has anyone heard or have had experience with mods, chips to get around the DEF systems for other countries?

dlh62c

Explorer
Come on down. After December of 2018 ULSD will be plentiful in Mexico. Its now available in the major traffic corridors.

Sadly station signage will probably never show it, even when ULSD is available country wide.

The Geritol crowd have been running later model diesels in and around Mexico for years.

I’ve personally seen DEF and engine oil that meets Low Ash Specification CJ-4 on shelves at AutoZones. Not sure if in country Walmart’s stock either. I always forget to check.

Attachments

• 77391E13-6B41-43FA-BBC8-B705F08F13A9.jpeg
    77391E13-6B41-43FA-BBC8-B705F08F13A9.jpeg
    617.7 KB · Views: 12

Ninja Truck

R.O.A.D OVERLAND
Come on down. After December of 2018 ULSD will be plentiful in Mexico. Its now available in the major traffic corridors.

Sadly station signage will probably never show it, even when ULSD is available country wide.

The Geritol crowd have been running later model diesels in and around Mexico for years.

I’ve personally seen DEF and engine oil that meets Low Ash Specification CJ-4 on shelves at AutoZones. Not sure if in country Walmart’s stock either. I always forget to check.
Thanks for the reply, 2010 FG doesn't use DEF fluid just has the big filter /burn off tube / muffler which i believe just gets diesel shot into it to burn it clean when needed but will get clogged up by the excess sulfur is my understanding.

dlh62c

Explorer
What you’re referring too is called a Diesel Particulate Filter.

It’s not the clogging by sulfur in the DPF that you need to worry about, but the ash built up from burning additives added to the fuel and from not using low ash engine oil. Check the owners manual, there’s a limit on the grade of biodiesel you can burn.

During a regen cycle the soot is completely burned off, no soot is left behind. The ash comes from the combustion of additives in the fuel and oil. The ash isn’t burnt off during a regen cycle and accumulates over time and mileage.

If you’ve purchased the truck used, there’s no telling what’s been put in the fuel tank or the type of oil used.

Keep in mind you’re running a CRD engine and everything that goes with it. Fuel sulfur content aside, one needs to have trust in their fuel source. Water separators and fuel filters will do a great job of protecting things but neither will protect against cross contamination of diesel fuel with other fluids such as gasoline.

In the US diesel pump nozzles are green and gasoline nozzles are black, in Mexico the colors are swapped.

Spotted what looked like a 2015 Fuso FG in San Felipe when I was in Baja Norte last December. There seemed to be Sprinters everywhere.

Attachments

• E3F263FD-A874-45CE-AE5D-13F5F262EF03.jpeg
    E3F263FD-A874-45CE-AE5D-13F5F262EF03.jpeg
    776.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Ninja Truck

R.O.A.D OVERLAND
Thanks for all the technical info. Will remember to make sure I grab the right colour pump when I fill down there.

Cheers

devonojas

What you’re referring too is called a Diesel Particulate Filter.

It’s not the clogging by sulfur in the DPF that you need to worry about, but the ash built up from burning additives added to the fuel and from not using low ash engine oil. Check the owners manual, there’s a limit on the grade of biodiesel you can burn.

During a regen cycle the soot is completely burned off, no soot is left behind. The ash comes from the combustion of additives in the fuel and oil. The ash isn’t burnt off during a regen cycle and accumulates over time and mileage.

If you’ve purchased the truck used, there’s no telling what’s been put in the fuel tank or the type of oil used.

Keep in mind you’re running a CRD engine and everything that goes with it. Fuel sulfur content aside, one needs to have trust in their fuel source. Water separators and fuel filters will do a great job of protecting things but neither will protect against cross contamination of diesel fuel with other fluids such as gasoline.

In the US diesel pump nozzles are green and gasoline nozzles are black, in Mexico the colors are swapped.

Spotted what looked like a 2015 Fuso FG in San Felipe when I was in Baja Norte last December. There seemed to be Sprinters everywhere.

@Ninja Truck - Did you make it down? I'm considering a 2012 Fuso and this is my main concern, since I plan on using it extensively in Baja. I haven't found anyone with ULSD era Fuso's writing about their travels in Baja.

@dlh62c - San Felipe is probably within round trip range of the Cali boarder?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
In the past ULSD was only available north or Guerrero Negro, South was LSD from the mainland.
I don't know if Pemex has the expertise to refine ULSD. The US supplied it.

dlh62c

Explorer
@dlh62c - San Felipe is probably within round trip range of the Cali boarder?
[/QUOTE]

Depends where you cross. I’m entering from the Midwest and cross at Lukeville Az. But it’s a long travel day to San Felipe If you take in account the border crossing and check points.

ULSD is available country wide. Station signage will probably never show it. It’s wise to carry extra DEF if you require it. Source it when you can, use your stash when you can’t.

If your travel plans have you driving MEX1, be careful. The highway is narrow. Consider swinging the drivers side mirror inward to reduce the risk of mirror slap.

Speaking for myself I haven’t found a need to travel over 50mph in Mexico, local traffic will ebb and flow around you. The road to San Felipe will spoil you. One can straddle the shoulder line, if there is a shoulder, to let traffic overtake and pass you.

These guys are traveling Baja in a Fuso as I type this.

For your viewing pleasure.

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
Looks like the author below has been traveling in Mexico for several months. The author makes a good point at the end regarding plugged DPF's and the usage of the incorrect engine oil. As I posted above, I've seen engine oil that meets low ash specification CJ-4 on shelves at AutoZones in Mexico.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier