ultra compact slide in / sleeper

Gunner207

Observer
When panels are joined I squeeze epoxy into and onto the mating honeycomb surface and then clamp together or otherwise assemble. I find that 3 inch cabinet screws effectively draw the panel into the dado. I'll add some pictures tomorrow.

Work keeps getting in the way.....

Gunner207

Observer
IMG_20170127_163826.jpg. Starting to find unbonded sections of panels. I have never seen this on the wet laminated panels. This will probably be the last time I use the ply laminated panels.

rruff

Explorer
Yikes! 3 out of the 3 people I know have had this problem. Definitely not an isolated incident.

Is the debonding always only on one side?

Gunner207

Observer
So far always on one side. I will reinforce all the openings with either epoxy or inserted wood splines so I can get through this build on time. I have always used their wet laminated panels or vacuum bagged my own on their core. So much for trying to save some time.......

rruff

Explorer
Have you ever used their foam sheets to make panels? Interested in PVC and PE. I can't use the honeycomb because I'm at altitude.

Last edited:

Gunner207

Observer
I use foam panels occasionally, but have not tried their foams yet. Their specifications are good. I've used PVC foams for years but am interested in trying their PE foam.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Cool project, if you can find your way around the problem panels. :ylsmoke:

View attachment 384119

The edges of each panel are eased with a sander to make insertion into dados easier

Do you always dado so shallow into the panel?

I thought with honeycomb core panels, the dado for intersecting panels like that must be full depth to maintain strength?

As shown here:

http://www.carbon-core.com/panels-veneers.htm

View attachment 384218. Starting to find unbonded sections of panels. I have never seen this on the wet laminated panels. This will probably be the last time I use the ply laminated panels.

To be fair, that isnt a problem with the ply (or in this case VERY cheap balsa core veneer) it is a problem with the adhesion between the core and core and the veneer.

Obviously they have some quality control issues, as well as some adhesive compatibility issues.

Still, as I said, that veneer is JUNK. It doesn't even qualify as plywood, and it is certainly not lauan as referred to previously.

rruff

Explorer
Still, as I said, that veneer is JUNK. It doesn't even qualify as plywood, and it is certainly not lauan as referred to previously.

It's nice looking plywood actually. I've only got a small sample, but it looks a lot better than the luan from HD. Plys are equal thickness. It is a soft wood though and very lightweight, comes to < 8lb for a 4x8 sheet, vs 11-12lb for luan.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That shot showing the separation from the core shows the thickness of the plies, and they are not equal thickness.

Maybe I'm not seeing it well in that photo?

What I see is a very thin layer on both sides, with a thick filler center.

Gunner207

Observer
I have found that the shallow dado (half the panel thickness) keeps the main panel just a little stronger and more stable during assembly. If the cells in the main panel are filled with thickened epoxy before the intersecting panel is bonded in place the depth of the dado is inconsequential. Remember that the intersecting skins are properly bonded with a filet of epoxy and the overall structure should be designed with intersecting panels on all three planes such that joints can not be stressed in shear along the main panel.

Gunner207

Observer
IMG_20170128_163421.jpg. A dadoed joint at the intersection of the front wall and interior side wall. Panel is fully inserted in dado and after both sides are filleted the joint gets "triangulated" with a strip of panel. Extreme overkill but it allows the use of lighter weight panels for a build like this.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Cool.

And that is a much better photo showing the actual thickness of the plies.

Still don't like the looks of the center ply from where I'm sitting though.

Have you had any ply separation, or just separation from the core?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94