Ultimate (For me) Tacoma Platform and/or Drawer System

40tude

Adventurer
None of the options on the market thrilled me, especially for the price.

I had a checklist I wanted to mark for all of the things I expected of the system, and after much thought and way more work than I had planned...I got it all successfully accomplished.

Light Weight: Check- Significantly less weight than other market offerings.

Modular: Check- I can run with or without the bins installed. I can run without the entire middle section, which enables me to do much more without taking out entire system. I could run a single side as well if I decided.

Nearly endless tie down options: check

Carries Hi Lift: Check- Rock solid mounts, and it's out of the way.

No modifications to truck bed: Check- bolts in with factory bolts.

Easy removal and install: 6 bolts total (Rock Solid)

Off the shelf parts: almost check... Everything is available from 8020 (some parts were modified) except the panels, I ended up doing those out of marine ply (best thing for the job). The bins are Euro boxes, available in a few places, I have 6 bins that all nest snugly into space. The price point overall was a bit more than I was hoping, but significantly less than the other market offerings (which didn't thrill me anyhow.)

Attachments

• qhhJmQVCRC2d1hQOyIn0Rg.jpg
    qhhJmQVCRC2d1hQOyIn0Rg.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 290
  • pOrJnvPhS96Ay%h+5n43Xw.jpg
    pOrJnvPhS96Ay%h+5n43Xw.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 276
  • 6M36OML%T+GU2h3fA7dSbg.jpg
    6M36OML%T+GU2h3fA7dSbg.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 270
  • wDInFHA+Qze1y1B0vzngGw.jpg
    wDInFHA+Qze1y1B0vzngGw.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 258
  • MtBb9ugdTh63Gfi%hPwBhA.jpg
    MtBb9ugdTh63Gfi%hPwBhA.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 244
Last edited:

shade

Looks great. T-slot construction offers a lot of flexibility, especially for a creative mind. What thickness of plywood did you use for the deck?

I did something more basic for my truck (3/4" marine plywood deck on two cross pieces in the bed pockets), but like you, I found sliding bins to be an effective way to cut cost and still have good access. I used Ziplock Weathertight bins. They aren't as rugged as Euro boxes, but the latches and seals are definitely weathertight. To reach bins at the front of the bed, I used a piece of stainless steel rod, with a hook bent at the end to snag the bins.

That system worked ok for me, but any time I had someone else along, I always had to stop whatever I was doing to access the bins for them. I eventually decided to remove it all and installed a Decked system. It has some drawbacks that wouldn't earn high marks on your checklist (cost & weight), but it works well for what I do.

40tude

Adventurer
Looks great. T-slot construction offers a lot of flexibility, especially for a creative mind. What thickness of plywood did you use for the deck?

I did something more basic for my truck (3/4" marine plywood deck on two cross pieces in the bed pockets), but like you, I found sliding bins to be an effective way to cut cost and still have good access. I used Ziplock Weathertight bins. They aren't as rugged as Euro boxes, but the latches and seals are definitely weathertight. To reach bins at the front of the bed, I used a piece of stainless steel rod, with a hook bent at the end to snag the bins.

That system worked ok for me, but any time I had someone else along, I always had to stop whatever I was doing to access the bins for them. I eventually decided to remove it all and installed a Decked system. It has some drawbacks that wouldn't earn high marks on your checklist (cost & weight), but it works well for what I do.

3/8 ply

I put the seldom accessed item towards the front. I can actually access all bins with my reach.

Thanks

djm68

Observer
Nice setup. Considering something similar for my '12 Tacoma. Can you post a pic(s) showing how you secure the platform to the bed?

Thanks!
DJM

40tude

Adventurer
Here ya go

Attachments

• AQKWcZTMRmmW14iFnNbOpg.jpg
    AQKWcZTMRmmW14iFnNbOpg.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 131
  • AuwGsejHRZa3erLBevXUEg.jpg
    AuwGsejHRZa3erLBevXUEg.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 126
  • vGBnlN3ORUyQj6IRq%+AOA.jpg
    vGBnlN3ORUyQj6IRq%+AOA.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Is anyone else upset there aren't more pics?

This is awesome!! My last sleeping platform was heavy and kind of ugly. About where did you end up as far as price?

nucktaco

Adventurer
Did you build the fridge slide? if so any more pics or info on that? wanting to build something similar for my tacoma.

ziplocman

How did you anchor the frame to the bed? Also, it looks like you're using some soft of bearing pad between the aluminum and the bed. What's the reasoning?

Awesome build!

40tude

Adventurer
Mounting points are shown in post #5, I used rubber in strategic points to to deal with expected movement and vibration dampening.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier