Ultimate Expedition To/From Overland Expo - Flagstaff Ariizona

Curly

Adventurer
Wow, great write up. I'm going to have to try some of the Az sections you have posted.

Curly

OCtaconoob

Amazingly detailed write ups, both on here and your website. Definitely will be trying some of these out when I head to Arizona later this year!

mercier@streetsmart.ca

Expedition Scout
Leg 5 Detailed Scout Report Preview

It is always great to receive support from readers, it keeps me going - Thanks. While working on the Anza-Borrego Expedition reports, and in particular the Great Southern Overland Stagecoach Road, I was drawn deeper and deeper into the compelling story behind these historical backcountry stage and wagon train routes that overlanders can continue to enjoy today. I had resolved myself to only doing an expanded 49-photo slideshow of Trek Leg 5: Berlin Side Door to Pony Express and Fort Churchill, but while researching the detailed Scouting Report for Trek Leg 6 I came across such great content I had to share it with enthusiasts who appreciate the significance of the piece of dirt that they are traveling on and of the relics they are encountering, as they explore. A rotting old post surround by a neatly organized circle of rocks takes on a whole new meaning as you follow the dotted line of the old Pony Express on your GPS maps, for the remains of the old posts is all that is left of the telegraph line that followed and replaced the storied Pony Express in 1861. I really enjoyed reading about the heroic efforts of the some of the 15 year old riders during the Indian Wars, and just had to share them, as well as the plight of the natives who were out-placed. Having images of what transpired brings the rock ruins of such sites as Desert Relay Station to life - as do the stories of such colourful legends as Buffalo Bill Cody that used them during the incredible ride, that only lasted 18 months. And I wanted to share old maps and photos that help me piece the stories together.

The following screen shots are from the Scouting Report we have prepared. The quality is much better with our on-line E-reader but I hope these sample pages intrigue you enough to go our site OverlandFrontier.com and see for yourself: Trek Leg 5: Berlin Side Door to Pony Express and Fort Churchill. Even better, we hope it will inspire you to get off the grid and plan your own two or three day remote expedition into Great Basin of Nevada.

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Cover Page by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Page 5 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Page 5 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 6-7 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Page 9 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 10-11 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 12-13 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Page 15 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 18-19 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 20-21 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Page 22 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Page 23 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Page 24 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Page 25 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Page 29 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 26-27 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 30-31 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 32-33 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 34-35 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 36-37 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Pages 38-39 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

Overland Frontier Scouting Report Sample Page 40 by Overland Frontier, on Flickr

To read our Free detailed Scout Report, go to: Trek Leg 5: Berlin Side Door to Pony Express and Fort Churchill.

This Trek Leg is part of the Nevada Ghost Town & Iconic Trails Series. I found so much great stuff for the detailed Scouting Report for Trek Leg 6 that carries on to the incredible living ghost town of Virgina City, that I'm having hard time choosing content.

The Nevada Journey is also part of a Three Nation Expedition which is being featured in this thread. I came into the border-to-border expedition showcase midway on the Mojave Road so I could link it to great trails I discovered on the way to Overland Expo, but in December I started a thread and website showcase for the start of southern US portion of the expedition; Anza-Borrego Iconic Trails & Oasis Journey.

But before I get back to detailed Scout Reports on either of these Journeys, I want to carry on using the Overland Stage Road Coach Route research I am knee-deep in and add a detailed Scout Report for the Trek Leg 8: Apache Pass and The Great Overland Stage Coach of 1861, coming this month. It is part of a [URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/145690-Overland-Frontier-American-Southwest-to-Canadian-Northwest-Expedition"]thread[/URL] and Website showcase for the first Journey in our next border-to-border expedition that starts with; Arizona Territory Wild West Loop or Pass-thru Journey. If your anxious to see where this this Three-Nation Expedition picks up in Canada, we started another thread and website showcase for the British Columbia Kootenay "Silvery Slocan" Journey.

As always your support on these threads is appreciated and please Like us on Facebook.

Last edited:

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
As always thanks for taking the time to share these incredible moments with us. Fascinating history.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tanks

This trip is an amazing inspiration. I really appreciate your attention to detail and your amazing amount of background knowledge about each of these towns. Thanks for your amazing trip reports!

codemunky

Thanks for sharing. We'll be at the Overland Expo as well. But will not be attending Sunday Expo. I'd like to go explore. Maybe we'll meet you there at Grand Canyon area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles