Ultimate camp shoe?

SBSYNCRO

Haha. Man there are a lot of great ideas in this thread.

So I started wearing a pair of nurses’s crocs (ones without holes). MAN do my feet get sweaty after about 20 minutes! They are great for middle of the night pee excursions or making coffee and walking to the top of a boulder to watch the sun rise. (the soles are super gripping on rock!)

But starting the day back in the boots with sweaty feet ain’t great.

I’m thinking the ultimate would be a pair of Danish leather or canvas clogs (træsko) but with Croc soles instead of wood. That way they would breathe but be light and comfy and easy to put on.

The search continues!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SBSYNCRO

Anyone tried these? I just saw a promo for them in one of the other forums I frequent...

Looks like they check a lot of the boxes.... (except for being water resistant, based on reading reviews). I suppose some DWR spray could remedy that.

No mention of cowboy boots. I wear mine everyday. Comfy, easy to take off and put on, great protection for your feet, I think they are the perfect camping wear.

I'd advise to look inside of the boots previous to putting on, never know what could climb in them what you're not looking.

ITTOG

No mention of cowboy boots. I wear mine everyday. Comfy, easy to take off and put on, great protection for your feet, I think they are the perfect camping wear.

I'd advise to look inside of the boots previous to putting on, never know what could climb in them what you're not looking.
This is what I have been wearing the past couple years. Love them.

SBSYNCRO

I wear “cowboy” boots all the time but for a camp shoe they don’t meet criteria #1 and 5 in my OP. (At least not for me, and I’m including a pair of custom made Luchese boots that are like glove leather in that assessment)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Anyone tried these? I just saw a promo for them in one of the other forums I frequent...

Looks like they check a lot of the boxes.... (except for being water resistant, based on reading reviews). I suppose some DWR spray could remedy that.
$95 is a lotta cheez for a pair of slippers though.
My Crokoffs were $8 I think.

I have a pair of Uggs that I got for $45. Yeah, like Tom Brady; so what? They're friggin comfortable and warm. Not waterproof though.

huntsonora

Explorer
These are all I wear. Year round. A few years ago I saw a big bull elk I wanted video of, ended up over a mile from the truck wearing these ?

I wear them like clogs, just step in and the heel flattens down. Super comfortable and a perfect camp/driving shoe

SBSYNCRO

Hmmm. Link doesn’t seem to work (phone app issue)

Last edited:

billiebob

Camp shoes for me are my oldest shoes that are not falling apart. They are so familiar they almost put themselves on and they fall off when I wiggle my toes. They breathe.... but are not mesh..... They have zero plastic or rubber..... just lots of well worn leather. They love to be abused and neglected and if it snows being all natural leather they excell at keeping my feet comfortable. Having already earned their keep they are virtually free.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Camp shoes for me are my oldest shoes that are not falling apart. They are so familiar they almost put themselves on and they fall off when I wiggle my toes. They breathe.... but are not mesh..... They have zero plastic or rubber..... just lots of well worn leather. They love to be abused and neglected and if it snows being all natural leather they excell at keeping my feet comfortable. Having already earned their keep they are virtually free.
Yep. Pretty much same thing I said. I guess we're cheap.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have to wear steel toes for work. But, I get a new pair every year. So my old pair just becomes my camping shoes. I use lock laces on my shoes so they are all pretty easy to get on / off...

View attachment 679644

Another potentially unpopular pick, but hear me out...

I have bad feet(not particularly ugly, stinky or anything- just pain issues). I have a couple sets of custom orthotics I keep in my work shoes(I also am required to wear steel toes). The Birkenstock brand was recommended by my podiatrist and after reluctantly spending the money on my first pair I'm convinced!

I recommend the Boston for a camp shoe. It's toe box is fully covered and by not having a heel you can easily slide them on/off. I wear mine everyday and the magic is in the cork footbed. It molds around the shape of YOUR foot! Yeah, you'll get some hippie-jokes, but your feet will thank you.

I only pack 3 shoes on my camping trips: a water shoe(Teva sandal), a mud-shoe(whatever the oldest shoe I've got that will take an insole), and the Boston. I hike easy/moderate trails in them and if it gets too cold just throw on some wool socks! Finally, if you get a pair do it through Birkenstock's official site as there are lots of counterfeits floating around on sites like Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier