Ultimate camp shoe?

SBSYNCRO

All my life I’ve been looking for the ultimate camp shoe. Still haven’t found it. What are your favorites? Let’s limit the choices a bit:

Vehicle-based camping
Summer and fall conditions

Criteria:
1. Easy to slip on when climbing down from the RTT in the middle of the night to take a leak. Collapsible heel seems like a good feature.

2. No “mesh” so that dirt and dust doesn’t come right through the fabric

3. Withstand walking through damp leaves or low grass without soaking through.

4. Sturdy enough to walk to the latrine and back or to gather firewood near camp.

5. Comfortable enough that you get that “ahhhhhh…” feeling when changing out of your tall, heavy hunting boots.

For winter conditions I’ve found a pair of low-rise muck boots are my favorite but I have not found the ideal summer-in-the-Sierras or winter-in-the-desert pair of camp shoes.

The Teva Ember Moc is close but too delicate (see criterion #4) and I don’t need insulation (Western summer and early fall)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roving1

I sort of gave up on finding one perfect shoe so I settled on three. All the collapsible heal stuff I tried just fell apart too quickly. But admittedly I am hard on shoes.

Unbelievably, after low key making fun of them for years, I settled on crocs for sand wet water things. They actually fit me and wear well unlike every other sandle thing the ability to slip them on easily and then also flip the heel thing over for more stability/swimming if I need it is kind of amazing.

For light weight breathable boots these turned out to work really well and are super easy to put on.

Bates Men's 8" Ultralite Tactical...

Then just a Vasque sundowner for hiking.

I hate having 3 pairs of shoes except all three work so much better for different things then one all around shoe.

Having said that the boots come on and off easy enough that I could use them as my only shoe if I didn't need beach type wet shoes.

SBSYNCRO

Thanks. I have a pair of those same bates boots and actually use them for upland hunting sometimes. They are very light. But I still want to get them off my feet after 15 miles in them at the end of the day. I may end up some some crocs if I can find some without holes (criterion #2). I hate dirt or gravel in my shoes while around camp!

jadmt

ignore button user
Oofos are so freaking comfortable you won't care that they are not really shoes. They stay on your feet climbing down the ladder, they don't hold dirt on the soles, they weigh nothing, they don't soak up water per se, they are comfortable enough to walk several miles in.

SBSYNCRO

Sperry boat shoes.

hmm... closer but a pain to get over your heel (at least the ones I've owned have been).

Oofos are so freaking comfortable you won't care that they are not really shoes. They stay on your feet climbing down the ladder, they don't hold dirt on the soles, they weigh nothing, they don't soak up water per se, they are comfortable enough to walk several miles in.

I camp in rocky/dusty areas a lot. Flip flops just don't really do it for me because my feet get filthy

86scotty

Cynic
3 pairs of shoes go with me on all trips.

Crocs.....because Real Men Wear Crocs. Crocs, IMO are the greatest driving and puttering around shoes ever made.
Flops.....because, shower shoes and swimming, etc.
Hikers (good low top hiking shoes/trail runners)......because for me they cover a lot of ground (heh heh). They run the gamut from hiking 15 miles a day to casual at a restaurant to the depths of winter or the heat of summer and I always buy waterproof ones (Keen/North Face/Salomon/Columbia).

86scotty

Cynic
I think if I can find a pair of crocs without holes, that might be the solution.

That being said, these look interesting... https://huckberry.com/store/greys/category/p/64351-the-camp-slipper-boot

I like those because they are slip on but I like Crocs better because they are slip 'in', or slip on without hands needed. This helps since we are 'shoes off at the door' folks, including camper. I haven't seen them in awhile but they do make them without holes. I prefer the holes in summer, no holes in winter. YMMV.

Here are some of the solid ones:

ChasingOurTrunks

I swear by my Blundstone slip-on boots; I'm a fairly recent convert though. Prior to owning these I would bring the "Crockoffs" as others have identified, but the holes mean my feet get full of dirt and sand depending on the campsite. The Blundstone boot has replaced heavy hikers and a camp shoe, so now I only need these and a pair of flip-flops (which pack super small) and I'm set.
5036066-BRN16.jpg

These are super easy to slip on and off (stiff for a few days when first wearing but they do get better). They are plenty sturdy to go hiking in with a daypack, but lightweight enough to wear all day long in the car while driving, with enough flex to stay comfortable on the gas/brake. I think a pair of these boots will be a permanent fixture for me unless I find something better.

Reactions: Daz

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have to wear steel toes for work. But, I get a new pair every year. So my old pair just becomes my camping shoes. I use lock laces on my shoes so they are all pretty easy to get on / off...

0A4NKCBLK-SIDE-1500.jpg
IB3501_2_large.gif

jadmt

ignore button user
I swear by my Blundstone slip-on boots; I'm a fairly recent convert though. Prior to owning these I would bring the "Crockoffs" as others have identified, but the holes mean my feet get full of dirt and sand depending on the campsite. The Blundstone boot has replaced heavy hikers and a camp shoe, so now I only need these and a pair of flip-flops (which pack super small) and I'm set.
View attachment 679641

These are super easy to slip on and off (stiff for a few days when first wearing but they do get better). They are plenty sturdy to go hiking in with a daypack, but lightweight enough to wear all day long in the car while driving, with enough flex to stay comfortable on the gas/brake. I think a pair of these boots will be a permanent fixture for me unless I find something better.
I like my Blundstones, but 95% of the time when I am camping I am wearing shorts and they look goofy as heck with shorts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles