Uli. Yet another AWD Chevy Build…

4Fox

Observer
I have officially made the transition. After owning an 07 Jeep Wrangler for about 5 years, I wanted a change. I’m really not that big into rock crawling anyway and even I built up the Jeep nicely, I wanted something a little more utilitarian. I wanted something to haul me and some friends into the mountains for climbing, mountain biking, or snowboarding. I wanted something that would be easy to camp in also, so I naturally looked at trucks. I originally starting looking at Tacomas as they are THE mid-size pick up to have. After some research and deep thinking, I realized a full size would be needed. I wanted room for two separate sleeping pads and a Tacoma was just too small for that. So I was off looking at various full size pickups when it hit me; I needed a van!! It made so much sense to me, but others thought I was absolutely crazy. I knew the plan made sense for my needs and went searching.

After a few months of searching the nation, I was able to find locally a 2008 Chevy Express AWD in Mid-February. I missed out on a similar van a few weeks prior with only 36k on it but settled on this guy with 83k. The van seems to have been well maintained and after a month of daily driving, I’ve no issues come up. The van did come with a strange, file cabinet type center console that I’ll be removing. The previous owner even took time to have a matching pad built onto it. I’ll miss the massive arm rest, but it needs to go! Another odd addition from the previous owner is the red and silver striping and AWD labels on the rear quarters. I’m not too sure how I feel about them, so they’ll stay for now.
attachment.php

Other interior plans include leaving one of the rear passenger seats in place most of the time but will be removed for longer trips. In its plans, I’m thinking some sort or cabinet/ shelf thing for additional storage, maybe a countertop for winter time meal prep. The back will have benches built on each side to accommodate two people sleeping. When it’s my wife and I, I’ll have a panel to drop in for one, large bed. Before all of that starts, I plan on pulling the paneling out to deaden and insulate.
Externally, I want a roof rack to hold an awning and road shower. I’m still not sure if I want a basket or box on top but something for addition storage. I’m leaning towards box as it’s protected from the elements and secured. Eventually, I’d like to upgrade the headlights to Trucklite LEDs. I was sure to find a van with square headlights so I could make this swap. I’ll probably also add a LED light bar behind the grill to add some extra lighting for the mountain roads here. Of course I’m also looking at a lift and will probably to 2” with torsion keys up front and 2500 leafs in the rear.

Oh, so why Uli? Well, it goes something like this…
I decided owning a van is “the ultimate expression of not caring what others think! It’s funny how judgy people get when tell them you drive a van. You get the typical “creeper’ or “pedophile” jokes. At any rate, I just didn’t care and have been laughing about it. Do you know who else doesn’t care? Nihilists. So I named the van after The Dude’s key nihilist foe, Uli Kunkel. A little contrived, yes, but I think it’s kinda funny. My wife? notsomuch.

There’s been a ton of great information found here and some awesome builds where I found inspiration. I hope to do the same with this build!

Over the past month some changes made to the van include:
Oil change (still need to do the rest of the fluids)
New wiper blades
AEM dry air filter
Ventshades installed on front doors.
Tomorrow, I plan on working on insulating the doors (starting small)

Attachments

• 20160302_161948.jpg
    20160302_161948.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 79
  • 20160229_162857.jpg
    20160229_162857.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 76

86cj

Explorer
Jeep to AWD Van, seems like it's catching on here. I like the name but have to admit "The Dude" gets quoted around our place so we are biased, and we are still arguing about a name 3 years later so.........

I have to laugh at peoples reaction when I mentioned a buying Van, they almost all said "what are you going to do with a van" in a startled voice, then went into a story about a past van in the family and got a dreamy look on their face. Most people then went out of their way to ask about the van at a later date, they envy those who blur the line between odd and cool people who don't care.

My milestones for an AWD Van justification were: As a rough on the lot estimate an AWD 1/2 ton Van is shorter than any 1/2 ton pickup except a std cab, is slightly shorter than a suburban and only a little taller than a HD 2500 4x4. A simple test drive will show it drives as good as any of the above and nothing like an Old School Van.

Jeeps went through a phase of shedding weight, I remember when a 6000lb plus CJ laden with spares for everything and the air tools to do it was a common sight. Now Jeep people don't even carry a spare tire with them around here. If you add all the hiking people with lightweight gear maybe the AWD 1/2 ton Van has found a following that can travel light, Jeep people who are tired of tents, like us.

Accrete

Explorer
good for you 4FOX, enjoy your adventures with Uli !

My wife and I have always gotten those wowzer looks and peeps (from young to even as old as 80's) wanting tours.
Don't let the nay-sayers take any of the fun factor out of your decision.

Best wishes on the build.
: ) Thom

FinsUp

Adventurer
Awesome. I have a 2001 Tacoma DBL cab that I love. But for some reason I keep looking at vans like yours. We have 2 girls that are 12 and 11 that love to camp, roadtrip and backpack and I just think something like this would be perfect for the family. I will be following this thread.

4Fox

Observer
So apparently, no one here stocks denim insulation locally so I'm waiting for the Brown Truck to show!

Treenail

Adventurer
Cotton for insulation??? I hear about this denim thing but I haven't read up on it.

In clothing, especially outdoor, performance clothing there is the saying:

Cotton cools
Kotton kills

Does anyone NOT wear wicking, fleece, polyester blends or wool etc. for skiing, hiking water-sports? How does denim pass the test as insulation???

Tom

4Fox

Observer
Denim looks to be a very popular insulator for vans. The concern with fiberglass is the worry over inhaling fiber particles. I guess no matter how well you seal it, it'll leak out.
With denim it looks like you need to put in a vapor barrier to reduce condensation.

Do you know of a better alternative to fiberglass??

4Fox

Observer
Not a whole lot of progress on the interior. I did pull out the crazy, file cabinet-thingy
20160311_151747.jpg

I did get a Thule roof rack set up and an awning on also
DSCN7358.JPG
DSCN7356.JPG

All the insulation material (ended up with Thinsulate) is in, I just haven't found the right combination of time and warmer weather for the work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94