UK Pajero owners near Manchester? Parts yards?

Gents, are there any expo members in the UK near Manchester?

Looking to spend a day going through what we call salvage yards, junk yards, wrecker, pick-n pull, etc. Where wrecked cars are taken so parts can be sold.

We have two different type here, the kind where the facility pulls the parts for you and the kind where you can walk through the yards yourself with your own tools and remove the parts you need. I'd like to find the latter where I can enjoy the lovely British weather of February....

JamesW

Adventurer
Most places around there won't let you walk around and take bits and bobs off due to insurance and the fact people tend to give themselves the "5 finger discount" on a lot of things. You'll also find the owners of these kind of places really intimidating,rude and generally aggressive. Manchester is pretty rough so these guys tend not to trust anyone. There isn't too many dedicated breakers over there either,a lot of stuff just gets scrapped straight away,rather than sitting in a yard for bits to get taken off it

Where in Manchester are you going to? My grandmother lives over there,so if i'm over there at the same time I'd gladly meet you for a tyre kick,and if i've my pajero over you can have a poke around and a spin :sombrero:

Any bits you're after in particular? The breakers yards here a lot better and full of pajeros due to the Diesel ones giving head trouble,and folk getting frustrated and getting rid of them

So are you going to be visiting there?

Yes, We'll be there for about a week. I've got a day to spend in Manchester before flying out the following morning.

Most places around there won't let you walk around and take bits and bobs off due to insurance and the fact people tend to give themselves the "5 finger discount" on a lot of things. You'll also find the owners of these kind of places really intimidating,rude and generally aggressive. Manchester is pretty rough so these guys tend not to trust anyone. There isn't too many dedicated breakers over there either,a lot of stuff just gets scrapped straight away,rather than sitting in a yard for bits to get taken off it

Where in Manchester are you going to? My grandmother lives over there,so if i'm over there at the same time I'd gladly meet you for a tyre kick,and if i've my pajero over you can have a poke around and a spin :sombrero:

Any bits you're after in particular? The breakers yards here a lot better and full of pajeros due to the Diesel ones giving head trouble,and folk getting frustrated and getting rid of them

Yeah, there are very few here in the US, most require a waiver and a small fee and they inspect tool bags/boxes. But I can see where British safety regs would get in the way! Not to mention the sticky fingers. Yeah, I've seen EuroTrip and how the ManU guys act! :ylsmoke: I Imagine the junk yard thugs would be less than pleasant.

video-vinnie-jones-eurotrip.jpg

I'll only have March 3 available in Manchester, no plans though, so if you're there let me know! Would certainly be interesting to meet up with folks!

You can buy parts from UK dismantlers here http://www.ebay.co.uk/

Yep, but that's less fun.

JamesW

Adventurer
Yes, We'll be there for about a week. I've got a day to spend in Manchester before flying out the following morning.

Yeah, there are very few here in the US, most require a waiver and a small fee and they inspect tool bags/boxes. But I can see where British safety regs would get in the way! Not to mention the sticky fingers. Yeah, I've seen EuroTrip and how the ManU guys act! :ylsmoke: I Imagine the junk yard thugs would be less than pleasant.

I'll only have March 3 available in Manchester, no plans though, so if you're there let me know! Would certainly be interesting to meet up with folks!

Yep, but that's less fun.

These guys in the scrapyards make Vinny Jones look soft!

Where else in the UK are you going to be? There is a guy down south,called fils pajero parts,he might leave you have a bit of a wander around and pull bits off things,he is meant to be fairly friendly too. That isn't exactly close to manchester though.

You might as well go into a mitsubishi dealership and take a 2014 shogun for a spin though,I drove a 2013 one a few months ago and it was lovely,but it lacked some of the charm of my trusty ole 1995.

If anyone on here decides to come to ireland give me a yell,i'll try my best to show ye a fun time and some of the sites. No real "expeditions" to be done here though,The internet has told me that the whole country is smaller than the state of Indiana :)

These guys in the scrapyards make Vinny Jones look soft!

Where else in the UK are you going to be? There is a guy down south,called fils pajero parts,he might leave you have a bit of a wander around and pull bits off things,he is meant to be fairly friendly too. That isn't exactly close to manchester though.

You might as well go into a mitsubishi dealership and take a 2014 shogun for a spin though,I drove a 2013 one a few months ago and it was lovely,but it lacked some of the charm of my trusty ole 1995.

If anyone on here decides to come to ireland give me a yell,i'll try my best to show ye a fun time and some of the sites. No real "expeditions" to be done here though,The internet has told me that the whole country is smaller than the state of Indiana :)

Yeah I'm sure Vinny is a sweetheart.

Actually, I fly in on a Friday, hop in the rental car , pick up the boss lady (She'll be there for a few days before I arrive) then we're headed north to Edinburgh for a long weekend. This is our first trip across the pond, and Scotland has been on my bucket list longer than London... or anywhere else in the south. Getting back to Nantwich on Sunday night and on Monday I'll spend the day checking out Manchester, or maybe someplace cooler? Then grab a hotel or stay at a hostel in MAN before getting the flight out on Tuesday morning.

I looked at riding the ferry from Holyhead or Liverpool to Dublin, but I'll save that for another trip.

I just looked up Fil, yeah, 6 hours round trip isn't quite worth it. I hear the diesel pajeros there have 5.29 ring and pinions and so I was considering grabbing a used set. Also, I'm going to pick up a TDI hood scoop for my truck. A friend is converting an Izuzu Trooper to diesel and was wanting some parts that can be found at most stores there. Is there a good/better chain type parts store in the UK?

Oh and an off topic question, would it be too terribly cliche if I went hiking in Scotland whilst wearing my kilt?

JamesW

Adventurer

Actually, I fly in on a Friday, hop in the rental car , pick up the boss lady (She'll be there for a few days before I arrive) then we're headed north to Edinburgh for a long weekend. This is our first trip across the pond, and Scotland has been on my bucket list longer than London... or anywhere else in the south. Getting back to Nantwich on Sunday night and on Monday I'll spend the day checking out Manchester, or maybe someplace cooler? Then grab a hotel or stay at a hostel in MAN before getting the flight out on Tuesday morning.

I looked at riding the ferry from Holyhead or Liverpool to Dublin, but I'll save that for another trip.

I just looked up Fil, yeah, 6 hours round trip isn't quite worth it. I hear the diesel pajeros there have 5.29 ring and pinions and so I was considering grabbing a used set. Also, I'm going to pick up a TDI hood scoop for my truck. A friend is converting an Izuzu Trooper to diesel and was wanting some parts that can be found at most stores there. Is there a good/better chain type parts store in the UK?

Oh and an off topic question, would it be too terribly cliche if I went hiking in Scotland whilst wearing my kilt?

The 5.29 gears are found in the LWB pajero/shoguns with the 2.5 diesel engine. And the whole bonnet is different on the 2.8 which is the one with the scoop,there is a plastic bit at the front of the scoop,but the rear part is actually pressed out of the skin,your best bet would be to buy the bonnet whole,and actually cut the scoop bit out and just take that with you and get it put on your own truck by a body shop.

There isn't really any chain stores for car parts in the UK,like you would have the likes of summit in the states,theres Halfords,they sell odds and ends like air fresheners and car mats and oil,but nothing vehicle specific. Your best bet would be to set off early and go to milner offroad,which is in a place called Matlock,which is a lovely drive over the peak district from Manchester,and spend the rest of the day in the peak district,which is a great place. My personal opinion is that manchester is a complete dump and you'd be best spend the day in the countryside rather than in the city.

I grew up not too far away from the Scottish border,and in all my times up there I can count on one hand the amount of times i've generally seen people in Kilts,so you may as well,it will makes somebody's day! On your way up get a pic of the angel of the north,it's great and you can see it from the motorway up to Scotland

JamesW

Adventurer

The 5.29 gears are found in the LWB pajero/shoguns with the 2.5 diesel engine. And the whole bonnet is different on the 2.8 which is the one with the scoop,there is a plastic bit at the front of the scoop,but the rear part is actually pressed out of the skin,your best bet would be to buy the bonnet whole,and actually cut the scoop bit out and just take that with you and get it put on your own truck by a body shop.

There isn't really any chain stores for car parts in the UK,like you would have the likes of summit in the states,theres Halfords,they sell odds and ends like air fresheners and car mats and oil,but nothing vehicle specific. Your best bet would be to set off early and go to milner offroad,which is in a place called Matlock,which is a lovely drive over the peak district from Manchester,and spend the rest of the day in the peak district,which is a great place. My personal opinion is that manchester is a complete dump and you'd be best spend the day in the countryside rather than in the city.

I grew up not too far away from the Scottish border,and in all my times up there I can count on one hand the amount of times i've generally seen people in Kilts,so you may as well,it will makes somebody's day! On your way up get a pic of the angel of the north,it's great and you can see it from the motorway up to Scotland

plh

Explorer
I've been to Manchester a few times during my work travels. Skip the wrecking years and hit the pubs. The UK has the best brews ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles