UJOR Build Thread

thescottgivens

Hey Chris for some odd reason my wife has developed a thing for the Nissan NV...I know there were some posts a while back about them potentially being a platform that you would work on...any plans brewing for those? She can have the NV and I'll have the E-series!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hey Chris for some odd reason my wife has developed a thing for the Nissan NV...I know there were some posts a while back about them potentially being a platform that you would work on...any plans brewing for those? She can have the NV and I'll have the E-series!

The NV is a solid platform but we haven't moved forward with anything for them. Still too busy building E series and trying to keep up with production and new development on them.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
3 new arrivals yesterday! Two from Adventure Vans in CLT, sad to see their super nice & clean fleet of Ford vans disappear. This red V10 has been on my radar since they got it, low mileage loaded EB. I was close to buying it but the deal didn't happen. So, now it will be built here and sent to VT! Happy that we get to build it. The white 5.4 EB wagon will be built up and sent to Alaska, both will be fully equipped and spec'd builds.

43053147_2127563637262853_4315060475860615168_o.jpg

This brand new V10 6 speed RV arrived late yesterday and will be sent to ID when its finished. Cool setup.

43083332_2128630153822868_7028750525780721664_n.jpg

Gurvan

Shame those double wheels in the rear otherwise it would nearly be a mini Earthroamer ! Nice looking rig anyway !(y)

torqluvas

Observer
Forgot to post this pic that has been making the rounds on Instagram from our customer Ken in CA. Sick 6.0 van on 37s smokin off that rubber.

42987761_2127339383951945_5909111981175996416_o.jpg

So sweet a picture. Great looking van. I noticed it has dual shocks fox maybe, and dual steering shocks too. Ive read your posts on the forums like here and smb and it seems youre not a fan of the steering shocks, dont feel like theyre needed or make any difference in shocking those big dam tires for things like death wobbel. Why is that> Why does this van have them but your other builds dont? and thats not your roof rack right?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We generally don't install stabilizers but we have if the PS system is an overachiever. Stabilizer adds some resistance. This van was a customer install so he installed it there. Some people think you need them, most actually don't. If our leaf kit gets DW its because something is really really worn out! Steering ends, leaf spring bushings, etc. Its not common like the coil vans that generally have at least one stabilizer.

Weight on the motor homes is all over the place depending on the size/etc. This minnie winnie was spec'd to 12k total, will have too dig up the actual weight before the swap. Our conversion adds ~600lbs w/o the goodies (winch, bumper, OBA, etc)

Drizzt

Free Sarcasm Available
I've a question for you, Chris. I've got some front end squeaks and think I have narrowed it down to the leaf spring shackles. I don't see a way to grease them. Am I missing how to service them? Is there a good way to minimize the squeaking from them?

ogre

We generally don't install stabilizers but we have if the PS system is an overachiever. Stabilizer adds some resistance. This van was a customer install so he installed it there. Some people think you need them, most actually don't. If our leaf kit gets DW its because something is really really worn out! Steering ends, leaf spring bushings, etc. Its not common like the coil vans that generally have at least one stabilizer.

Weight on the motor homes is all over the place depending on the size/etc. This minnie winnie was spec'd to 12k total, will have too dig up the actual weight before the swap. Our conversion adds ~600lbs w/o the goodies (winch, bumper, OBA, etc)

If dw isn’t common on the leaf springs, what causes dw with the coil vans???

I’m just wondering. And I’m sure others are also.

I am looking into your leaf system for my van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've a question for you, Chris. I've got some front end squeaks and think I have narrowed it down to the leaf spring shackles. I don't see a way to grease them. Am I missing how to service them? Is there a good way to minimize the squeaking from them?

You can pull the bushings out and grease them but the most common squeak point is from the sway bar end links. The hiem joints. Have you isolated them?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If dw isn’t common on the leaf springs, what causes dw with the coil vans???

I’m just wondering. And I’m sure others are also.

I am looking into your leaf system for my van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 1000 answers to this question :)

Trac bar & steering angle, worn radius arms bushings, worn control arms, worn steering components, worn trac bar, worn ball joints, flexing trac bar brackets, etc. Any of these things can cause it and diagnosing can be difficult. And, none of things have to be worn to get DW. This is what I've seen in my world, different vehicles have different cures/etc. The keyboard experts will have many answers and/or bandaids for DW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles