UJOR Build Thread

Randall Dee

Huge Member
I've sold over 500 kits and this is the 1st complaint about front driveline vibrations at speed. I'm not sure why you're driving that fast in 4wd?

This is more of a general question with regard to any of the 4 x 4 van conversions, be it UJ, Quigley or Agile, if I have my hubs locked in and I'm driving in high range on a snow covered highway, should I be keeping it under a certain speed? Or is there any reason I shouldn't be using the 4wd system this way?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
This is more of a general question with regard to any of the 4 x 4 van conversions, be it UJ, Quigley or Agile, if I have my hubs locked in and I'm driving in high range on a snow covered highway, should I be keeping it under a certain speed? Or is there any reason I shouldn't be using the 4wd system this way?

I personally don't drive 4wd in snow at anything over 40, maybe some guys that see more white stuff than us can chime in. When we do get snow my hubs are locked and I come in & out of 4wd as needed.

PrisonBreak 7.3 is back from paint. Hight top gets installed next week along with a tuner, gauges, underfloor storage, flares, bumper, light & winch. Then it can finally be used!

28828841_1870336949652191_8382154267615891492_o.jpg

Tribeof5 is here for some headlights and a ck up, not often that we have 2 big box ambos here at the same time!

28828616_1870370826315470_8213750525032306182_o.jpg

Osprey!

Observer
I routinely drive 60+ mph with 4wd engaged in my 4Runner, if we're driving in the snow on the highway. How fast would you recommend as maximum, Chris?

dazdconfsd

Observer
I routinely drive 60+ mph with 4wd engaged in my 4Runner, if we're driving in the snow on the highway. How fast would you recommend as maximum, Chris?

The snow and conditions in general out here are quite different than in the SE. I'm curious what the answer will be, but I know I go a noticeable amount faster in the snw out here than when I lived there.

Smoker

Observer
The snow and conditions in general out here are quite different than in the SE. I'm curious what the answer will be, but I know I go a noticeable amount faster in the snw out here than when I lived there.

In New England it's not unusual to see 4x4 trucks (as well as cars & SUVs with AWD) cruising 70+ in snowy conditions. However, it's also common seeing said vehicles in ditches along the side of the highway or slammed into another's rear-end because it's very hard to stop when you're going that fast. Pretty sure chains are not permitted up here, at least in Mass where I am.

dazdconfsd

Observer
In New England it's not unusual to see 4x4 trucks (as well as cars & SUVs with AWD) cruising 70+ in snowy conditions. However, it's also common seeing said vehicles in ditches along the side of the highway or slammed into another's rear-end because it's very hard to stop when you're going that fast. Pretty sure chains are not permitted up here, at least in Mass where I am.

We can run studded tires here. Just heard them on a neighbors car tonight actually

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

If I'm going that fast its only for a short spurt. For any lobster distance i go back to 2wd because i don't need the traction from the front end.

Probably 50 on a solid axle lifted rig. I don't see any harm in going a bit faster but I've never had the need for 4wd traction at that kind of speed.

Yea thats why I think this topic is subjective. We all live in different areas with different conditions.

Exactly, hauling a*& means you have to stop at some point!

I know Tribe of Five, but who/what is the one parked next to it?

New arrival here for a 6" conversion.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Probably 50 on a solid axle lifted rig. I don't see any harm in going a bit faster but I've never had the need for 4wd traction at that kind of speed.
Quiet north of the border lurker chiming in. All you need above 50 mph in snow is inertia... Not traction. Traction is for slower speed. And inertia is a double edged sword. Because nothing can improve your braking distance in snow and ice other than experience/technique and the quality of your tires. And sometimes, the only solution is going slower.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Quiet north of the border lurker chiming in. All you need above 50 mph in snow is inertia... Not traction. Traction is for slower speed. And inertia is a double edged sword. Because nothing can improve your braking distance in snow and ice other than experience/technique and the quality of your tires. And sometimes, the only solution is going slower.

Good info thanks!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
New arrival from MN, 96 7.3in for a 6" conversion.

29571068_1872389572780262_3882044500595307573_n.jpg

1st trip for the Sherpa/trailer combo, tows nice and we had a good time. Lots of rain, nice to get away for a bit.

28953962_1874623589223527_5170549155014219461_o.jpg

29354952_1874623582556861_8153814924724672657_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles