UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Lots to update here!

AlphaVan top is back from paint
10325340_1149434931742400_6473767448227334475_n.jpg

5.4 from MD is ready for exhaust. 4" on 33's.

10294401_1151807461505147_2855281952895556287_n.jpg

The Bigfoot has arrived! We've been planning this build for a while, this customer will soon have 2 UJ vans in his stable! Super cool rig.

10463000_1151812788171281_7222532317937287022_n.jpg

The big lift is finally free so we can yank the body on this SMB and replace the 6.0.

1560409_1151841494835077_6667499856578583893_n.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
LOL
It's a doomed motor unless the owner is extremely lucky or has put the time and money into it to make it last, so most likely had the normal failure points...

...time and money to make it last, you mean as in "bulletproofing?"

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
What happened to the 6.0?

This one is interesting, I blame it on multiple dealers not addressing the real problem or mis diagnosing. Who knows really but the oil has a ton of metal in it, the engine has gone thru several HPOPs (not very common on 6.0s) and at least 2 turbos. I think it only has ~80k on it. So, I recommended to replace it instead of taking it down to the heads/etc and inspecting. Some other things have been changed but I won't bore with every detail.

DzlToy

Explorer
Chris, this may be a bit off course, but curious to hear if you have any info from the owners of RV's such as the one right above this post on the effects of off - roading. Most of the Class C's that I have seen are "sticks & staples" - not to be critical, but a Prevost bus, they are not.

So, a 4WD conversion allows travel down a rough dirt road to get away from the RV park, but that coach was never designed to drive 6 hours on dirt to reach The Maze District, for example.

The idea is quite appealing, i.e. buy a coach you like, convert to 4WD and go; this is opposed to a 4WD Sprinter, a traditional van with no RV body or a cab & chassis with a composite box (Earthroamer, Earthcruiser, etc), none of which will fall apart going up and down dirt roads.

Just curious to hear what the owners are doing with them after the conversion (time, distance, terrain) and how they are holding up.

Apologies for the long question.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, this may be a bit off course, but curious to hear if you have any info from the owners of RV's such as the one right above this post on the effects of off - roading. Most of the Class C's that I have seen are "sticks & staples" - not to be critical, but a Prevost bus, they are not.

So, a 4WD conversion allows travel down a rough dirt road to get away from the RV park, but that coach was never designed to drive 6 hours on dirt to reach The Maze District, for example.

The idea is quite appealing, i.e. buy a coach you like, convert to 4WD and go; this is opposed to a 4WD Sprinter, a traditional van with no RV body or a cab & chassis with a composite box (Earthroamer, Earthcruiser, etc), none of which will fall apart going up and down dirt roads.

Just curious to hear what the owners are doing with them after the conversion (time, distance, terrain) and how they are holding up.

Apologies for the long question.

True, they're not built with long term high quality in mind let alone any amount of off roading. All of the C's we've done have been for beach use. This one will see that plus some dirt road and creek crossings to access some property. With anything long term these things would just rattle themselves apart.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Nice

What front axle? Super 60?

What does the entire rig weigh?

What kind of weight is on the front end?

Front axle is a D60 with a Spyntec hub conversion and SSBC brakes. 4.56, True Trac, DRW adapters. Rig was 13,700 before conversion. When we're done it will have gained ~800-1000 lbs. 4400 over the front axle.

dinobody

Observer
Looking awesome Doug!!! :26_7_2:
Thanks!!
I am super happy with the way it came out!! It drives amazing. I have had a Advanced Fourwheel Drive Systems 1999 e250 with a 5.4 w/33's. And a Quigley 2003 with a 7.3 w/35's. This van is on 37's and drives fantastic on rough dirt ,groved up pavement and at highway speed. Chris did his home work. PERFECT!!!!!!! The other vans I have had didn't drive even close to this. It also has one of his fuel tank's GREAT piece of kit. Looking forward to wheeling it. It also got a Sterling 10.5 in the rear w/limited slip front and rear and 4.56 gears.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Hey Doug, I am glad you got on here. Which windows are those on the side of your van? It looks awesome and I would love to add some like that to my van. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior