UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Fun weekend so far in the snow. Led a group of 7 rigs up into the mountains, we stopped when we got to 12" and got word that 2 of the rigs with us were stuck. We also met some guys on the way down that informed us of a disabled truck a little further up and it wasn't worth continuing. One of our rigs dug put before I got back down, the other had to be pulled. Then we cam e across some kids stuck in an F150. I tried to pull them from each end and almost got myself stuck, finally broke out the winch to get them out.

12552626_1115667505119143_1013180296603661601_n.jpg

Got home late, had to make it up to the wife so we picked up some friends and went out for dinner & drinks! Very few places open, our town shuts down when the snow comes.

12523104_1116366345049259_6159567266497740736_n.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
Chris, have you guys looked at doing a full link suspension, possibly with air system?

Leafs are simple and dead reliable, but links do offer more options for tuning, air bags, coils and/or coil overs, pinion angle adjustment with larger lift or suspension travel, etc.

It certainly would not be an inexpensive development process, just curious.

May be a case of, "If it's not broken, don't try to fix it"

Looks like good times in the snow....

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, have you guys looked at doing a full link suspension, possibly with air system?

Leafs are simple and dead reliable, but links do offer more options for tuning, air bags, coils and/or coil overs, pinion angle adjustment with larger lift or suspension travel, etc.

It certainly would not be an inexpensive development process, just curious.

May be a case of, "If it's not broken, don't try to fix it"

Looks like good times in the snow....

Sure, I've thought about it many times. There are things that I like & dislike about them and yes, if it ain't broke....

V4 is going to be transformed fairly soon, going to link it front & rear.

Chris, now you've got to wash TWO vans! :(

Exactly. Going to be a while before I can keep them clean. Looks like most of this white stuff should be gone by the end of the week and we have some rain coming to help clean up.

How did the r/t 's work in the snow?

Good. I aired down to 30 in V7, running around today in 2wd with no locker and they're doing well. Hit a few spots to see how it would do in this scenario. Had some wheel spin of course but nothing crazy. so I'll give them the thumbs up for snow.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Oh yah, that's the one! I see, the large would extend to the bend in the hood and the louver would have to make the bend as well as cutting some of the hood structure. Thanks!

edit to add: do you think the hi flow louvers let in less water because the vents are smaller (even though there are more) than the low flow which have 9 louvers? Looks to me like everyone goes with the high flow version anyway.

Exactly. I had originally ordered Large but my body shop said they couldn't easily make the downward slope at the front of the hood. So I went with Medium instead.

That may be. I want as much flow as possible so thus I went with High vs Low. :D

PS--Looking great on the Large Phil, good to know they can fit!

stormlover

Adventurer
Exactly. I had originally ordered Large but my body shop said they couldn't easily make the downward slope at the front of the hood. So I went with Medium instead.

That may be. I want as much flow as possible so thus I went with High vs Low. :D

PS--Looking great on the Large Phil, good to know they can fit!

Both of your guys install's look tight. Well-played!

On an unrelated note, anyone have a Mag-Hytec tranny pan and feels like it hangs too low?

Last edited:

IPB

What is involved in de-quiglyfying a van and what are the benefits?

I am trying to go look at one this weekend as well as a stock 01 with the 7.3 and want to make an "educaqted" decision :wings:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Oo! Oo! Let me take an arm-chair quarterback shot at this one. Some of the benefits....Much greater wheel travel, at least in the up-travel department. Better steering, and by better I mean it tends to keep going the direction you've pointed it instead of where it has an urge to go. A better ride out of the box. All axle parts are 100% off the shelf available Ford axle parts instead of funky groovy proprietary parts you have only one place in the world to purchase. Almost instant access to the owner/designer of your system practically 24/7. The meanest put-er on-er of barbecued pork product buffets in the off-road community.

I'm sure there's more but typing the last bit made me hungry so it's off to the fridge. :)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Oo! Oo! Let me take an arm-chair quarterback shot at this one. Some of the benefits....Much greater wheel travel, at least in the up-travel department. Better steering, and by better I mean it tends to keep going the direction you've pointed it instead of where it has an urge to go. A better ride out of the box. All axle parts are 100% off the shelf available Ford axle parts instead of funky groovy proprietary parts you have only one place in the world to purchase. Almost instant access to the owner/designer of your system practically 24/7. The meanest put-er on-er of barbecued pork product buffets in the off-road community.

I'm sure there's more but typing the last bit made me hungry so it's off to the fridge. :)

Ha ha, what he said! Better handling, steering, travel, etc. The year of the van will depend on how much we need to replace, there are many variables thru the years. What year is the Q?

ert01

Adventurer
A properly maintained Quigley is a fine setup as-is. The problems that people have with the quigley's are pretty much due to wear and tear more than anything else. The way I see it, people de-quiglify their vans because they're too lazy to fix the things that are worn out and they'd rather spend big $ on a whole different system.

I just think it's a waste to buy a quigley'd van, then throw out all the parts that made it worth the extra money over a 2wd van. Just buy a 2wd and go Ujoint if you really have a hankering for a UJOR kit. You'd save yourself money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online