Ujoint Offroad Colorado van build thread!

willywalderbeast

Master of None
Some of you might recognize this rig (willywalderbeast). He had the dreaded spark plug blow out not to far from me, so we decided to fix it properly once and for all
qs5ommuh.jpg

We opted to just yank the engine as this rig has higher mileage, and we wanted to go through and fix all the common issues. Got all new timing chains and guides, new exhaust manifolds, new water pump and two rebuilt head from clearwater cylinder head. These guys are the best in the business. They put new steel inserts into the head and pin them in place so they dont ever come back out.
HqkEJ5xh.jpg

Going back together ! Their original plan was to try and run the pan ameican, but covid had other plans unfortunately
h7F9sxwh.jpg

We also did 6 new tires on this rig before they hit the road!

???

UjointoffroadCO

Here 's another customer project we wrapped up a few weeks ago, '95 7.3 born free motorhome. Got a 6" U joint conversion with 33" tires. We also did the Ujoint on board air setup and a Chinese diesel heater!

All torn down! Spring hangers drilled in
A5lVUn7h.jpg

Axle built up while waiting on powder coating. This one got a spyntec hub conversion so we could have serviceable bearings and also so we could still run 8x6.5 bolt pattern wheels. On the duallys we run the stock rear wheels, so if the front is also 8x6.5, you can just carry one dually wheel as a spare.
nZO425Dh.jpg

Working on the rear springs. Started to get worried it wouldn't fit back out our 12' door when we were done!
Hv8P1PAh.jpg

Starting to come together!
OZjUGzah.jpg

Trans and T case in!
2qIeSKFh.jpg

My pal took some website photos while I was wrapping up
QKm8YWGh.jpg

jkmVD6bh.jpg

Guy has a great license plate
kEX2ohmh.jpg

Installed the OBA on the pass. side on this one.
Uxtykr9h.jpg

Hid the OBA port in the battery compartment. Also wired up 2 6v house batteries
qHrziZHh.jpg

Diesel heater under the bed in back
V3hSNx2h.jpg

All done! We also did bush wacker flares in the front
1RSiBtsh.jpg

Put some shake down miles on it, and returned it to the customer!
5sVqIhEh.jpg

Lilnuts

Justin, so cool to see a Ford van geek/tech in the Denver area. Hopefully I'll (after the Covid crap) I'll drop in to your shop and talk van crap for a bit. Keep up the great work. In Lakewood, CO

UjointoffroadCO

Next project was a super clean 2000 v10 chateau that came to me with a pretty half assed install on a MG kit under it. Had 3.55 gears in the axles, loose bolts everywhere, it was a mess. He wanted to run 35s, so we decided to go with 4.56 gears and a OX locker in the rear. We also ordered him up some cool method wheels (Which I fell in love with) and did a air bag setup in the rear with day star disconnect cups. Turned out awesome!!

UjointoffroadCO

Hey look, now I have method 701s!

Just had to have my own. Its so hard to find wheels in the right back pacing for these vans that aren't covered in stupid fake bolts and dumb fake bead locks. I think these suit the vans perfectly.
I also got some hand me down 2008 seats and pass. swivel seat!

Went up the to the hills for baby Emma's first christmas tree cut! Wound up spending the day pull ing people out of ditches with another guy in a jeep!

Buddy heater not cutting it. Time to scheme on a diesel heater

UjointoffroadCO

This was a fun project, 1978 Volvo c303 (TGB11) in for a complete scheduled maintenance, portal axle re-seal, added fuel mixture adjusters to the carbs for altitude, breakerless ignition, fabbed up some sides steps to make it easier to get into and alse extended the spare mount for the larger tires.

Fun stuff in the shop lately

Not a van, but too cool not to share. We've been doing wheel and tire work for the guys at Boulder vehicle outfitters and they brought this 2020 prospector by with a new overland explorer camper on the back. very cool setup

Took a trip out to Lake mcconaughy in Nebraska with some pals for a weekend. Cold, but very fun. Did not launch the boat. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz