UHF / GMRS monitoring with a dual band rig

cyclic

Adventurer
I have a Kenwood TH-D7 handheld. I use it for portable and as a base station using an external outside antenna. I am constantly using the dual RX. I normally run the local repeater on main and the local simplex on secondary. Switching between the two is a one button operation. I also monitor the GMRS freq's when the 2m band is quiet.

Biggest suggestion I have is to make sure you get a computer cable and software to go with your radio. Hand programming these new radios is a pain. I can set up my complete preprogramed channel selection on the comp then simply transfer it.

Another radio that might meet your needs is the new Yaesu FTM-10R.
Wicked little rig, multi use, decent power. Check it out.

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yeah, I like the 7800 because the lighting matches the rest of my interior lighting in the Taco.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Yaesu FTM-10R.

From the Yaesu website:

AF Dual Monitor Function: Listen to your favorite AM or FM stereo broadcast station, and monitor an amateur band at the same time. Note: AF Dual Monitor Function does NOT permit monitoring two different amateur bands at the same time. **External audio input is also available to connect your iPod!**

(End of Quote)

This radio is packed with features, but it does take some time to sort it all out. Before purchase. Then, of course, the real fun begins.

Me? Just looking. Looks like a great option for a motorcycle or open top as the removable part is waterproof.

Accrete

Explorer
I have two ADI handhelds that are dual band. Out of the box they are great scanners all the way up through police, air traffic etc. With a simple software (key pad sequence) they will open up the bands to also transmit on the GMRS/FRS bands. A friend of mind did this with his ADI and i can state that at least for that particular radio, the FRS was fine in receive mode, but he was unable to transmit more than about a quarter mile or so. I'm no radio expert but it seemed to me that the rig was just not sensitive enough to be used as a transceiver in the GMRS/FRS bands.

: ) Thom

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
BogusBlake said:
... (Sounds like I need to just sack up, buy the radio, and read the manual!)
How about downloading the manual and doing some reading? - http://www.yaesu.com/

Go to the owners corner link at the top and register. Once registered you can add equipment to your "add products" that will give you access to the brochures and owners manuals. A handy reference to have in .PDF
DaveInDenver said:
I probably wouldn't pay for the kit. ... I think it's also possible to use a stock 6-wire phone cord and a butt-connector to the short little piece that comes with the radio.
It is possible and works great.
gary in ohio said:
While you may have a working head, you may also find your may also have a big problem with RF in the control module. The factory kit is more than a 6 wire phone cable and plug. You have a ground and shield. If your only going a couple of feet your most likley ok, but after that RF into the cable is only a matter of time.
Mine has been working just fine. I installed it Feb, of 2005. I think if any problems were to arise I would have seen them by now. Mine is plenty long mounted in a crew cab. I think I used a 12' long cable.
The short crossover cable that comes with the radio for connection to the head unit, does not appear to be shielded in any way. I have not personally seen the extension that is sold so I can not attest to differences.
I do know more than one that has used six conductor cable and crimped an end. More than that have done as I have and used a phone cable with a line connector to the short factory crossover cable. I would not worry about RF interference in the connection from the head to the transceiver.

radio.jpg

Here is the thread on my install: S-10CREWCAB.COM Forum- Ham Radio Install

Having the head mounted on the console has been great.

console3.jpg

I don't miss the buttons lack of back lighting at all. I rest my arm on the armrest and can operate the buttons by feel.

FJ-Ollie

Adventurer
7800 or 8800

Sorry I got to this so late... this is a great discusiion. I'm going to chime in. I currently own three radios.

1. Yaesu VX-7R HT Tri-Bander (my first purchase)

2. Yaesu VX-170 HT 2M Only

3. Yaesu FT-8800R Mobile (my latest purchase)

The 7800R is an awsome radio. I had it until about two weeks ago. I sold it to my friend and bought the 8800R to replace it. With the 8800 ou can use one frequency and monitor another frequency at the same time and it has volume and squelch control for each individual band. This gives you the ability to monitor two frequencies simultaneously. Priority scan on the 7800 allowed you to do this but not nearly at the same level. Priority scan will scan the priority frequecy every 5 seconds. Not continuously. If someone is heiling you it generally takes less than 5 seconds so they could be missing you on the scan.

SCENARIO:
-During a fest event.
-Four trail runs/groups on one day in different places.
-Each different run/group has their one dedicated simplex frequency their communicating on within the group.
-Before we start the day we plan on one repeater to monitor for group to group communication.

Now, since you have the ability to transmit on one freq and monitor on another, you can be talking simplex within your group and still hear me heil you on the repeater in case of an assistance call or emergency without worrying about me missing or not hearing your heil. GOOD STUFF!!!

As far as the lit buttons go, 90% of what you do on the face plate can be done on the handset on which the lighting can be turned off and on with the flick of your finger. The things that REQUIRE you to use the faceplate buttons shouldn't be done while you're driving anyway. Indiviual volume and squelch nobs for each frequency is handy for quick reach and adjust situations.

As far as mocking up your faceplate relocation cable goes, it is possible to make the wire but the kit comes with the faceplate mounting bracket and hardware. Additionally, it comes with a heavy duty external speaker extention cord about the same length as the faceplate cord.

No matter which radio you go with of these two, you won't be disappointed.:)

Last edited:

FJ-Ollie

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
Seems most hails I hear are done phonetically, never really thought about it until now. But "kilo-delta-zero-alpha-alpha-alpha calling kilo-charlie-zero-bravo-bravo-bravo" said twice is about 4 or 5 seconds if I say it rapidly but what I think is distinctly. Just an observation.

Not a bad observation either... and that is the correct way to hail but 95% of the conversations/hails I hear when I'm monitoring are not done that way anymore. Most of the time people just say the letters and numbers and only voice it "phonetically" when asked to repeat the callsign because it didn't come across clearly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior