Ugameiger / "Doug" Build Thread

jbillauer

Hello All!

Been lurking a long time and learning a lot. Had planned originally to build out a 2022 AWD Ecoboost Transit, but plans change and I'm pivoting to doing a custom flatbed camper. I've been teaching digital fabrication and interactive installation at a local university for the last couple of years and felt like this type of project would really test and expand my skills. Based on the things I've learned from watching the build threads of many others I felt compelled to document my process as well.

That said I've just purchased the truck/platform I intend to build on: SRW 2017 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 6'4" bed with the 6.7L Cummins engine.

IMG-8631.jpg

Most likely going to be switching the front porch (I mean bumper) for something with a lower profile but that's more of a finishing touch.

As the title says I'm in the research/planning/testing phase of the build which is comprised of a few different aspects:
I've started the build by making some custom step plates for the running boards as a first step in making the truck mine. I'll have pictures of those laser cut and installed soon.

Now that the school year is over, I'm turning my attention to the first component which is the custom flatbed. I'll be posting some design mockups once I get them to a presentable state, but my general ideas for the flatbed are:
  • 82" to 84" Wide (This is one of the things I have questions on... I'd like to go 84" wide because with 2" composite panels I'll still be able to fit a full queen east/west over the cab. I just don't know what it would be like to have a flatbed with potentially 2" to 4" extending past the rear wheels on each side?)
  • 84" to 90" Long (This potentially means extending the frame, which I'm unsure about doing....????)
  • Proud/Protruding wheel wells to get 4" to 6" more of standing room inside the camper
    • Chomanche 004.jpg
  • Underbed Storage Boxes
  • Ability to have standard underbed spare tire
  • DIY Infinite Tie Down System (SherpTek) via exposed Unistrut Channels
  • Removable Headache Rack (Don't really want to lose the extra inches when the camper is on the truck)
  • Removable sidewalls and tailgate (this will probably added way later)
  • A pivoting or spring bolt mounting system (The spring bolt system seems interesting but some people say not to do this. I don't understand why that is? So any clarification would be great!)
I've already decided to switch up the design for the pop top (to something closer to Hiatus Campers design) but this was an older mockup that I was playing with just so you all get an idea of what I'm envisioning :)

2022-06-23_15h49_00.png

jbillauer

Following up on the custom step plates...

Unfortunately, about 1 month after I purchased the truck I had to, as the vet said, help my dog Doug cross the rainbow bridge. His kidneys failed and he decided that he no longer wanted to eat :cry:. He has and always will be my #1 adventure buddy.

IMG_6475.jpg

I've now named the truck after him and the build and all the adventures that will ensue are in his memory. I converted a picture of him into a vectorized silhouette and integrated it into my step plate design as a simple reminder of him every time I get into the truck. A very good friend of mine had them laser cut from 304 Stainless Steel at his shop and I installed them over the weekend.

IMG_6480.jpgIMG_8652.jpgIMG_8654.jpgIMG_8655.jpg

Side note: carriage bolts look great but man are they annoying o_O

Attachments

• IMG_8650.jpg
    IMG_8650.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 11

ExpoMike

Sorry to hear about the pup. Always hard to lose our travel buddies. Cool idea on the step plate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles