UCO Flatpack grill/firepit

CSG

Explorer
Anyone own and use one of these? I can't carry my Weber Q in my van and this UCO product seems like a well thought out design. I like that it doubles as a small fire pit as well.

iu

bluejeep

just a guy
i have one of those, love how they pack down, great for cooking as long as it's not for a large group due to limited grill space. Also nice for small camp fire

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I have one of those and like it quite a lot. I only use wood in it. It takes some practice to keep a fire going hot---it's a bit hard at first to criss-cross the wood to maintain an air flow because of how narrow it is, and the V shape. I cut kindling to length at home. Once it gets hot it can burn pieces up to about 3" or 4" in diameter. Makes a very nice small fire for ambiance and for grilling food for one or two people. I usually set it on top of the fireplace grill. After using mine about 10 times I noticed that it had warped. I recommend it nonetheless. It uses FAR less wood than a regular fireplace.P1010149.JPG

CSG

Explorer
Part of the interest in this item is that I don't go to campgrounds with their included firepit/grills. I'm always boondocking and I don't like to use or build fire rings hence the appeal of this little grill. I would expect to use briquettes a good part of the time as I suspect I'd use it more for grilling than camp firing.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've used a similar setup (a miniature knock-off of the Snow Peak pack-n-carry grill) on and off. Works great with lump charcoal for cooking, or with small fuel as a mini campfire. My biggest complaint with the design I have is that there's no lip around the grill surface so you have to be careful not to slide your food off into the dirt while flipping/turning things.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Don't drink and grill? ;)
It's more a problem that my grilling spot isn't always level. I always do my best before lighting up, but once the grill is hot, I ain't going to re-level it. If it's at an angle, the dogs keep trying to roll downhill, so I'm like Sisyphus with a set of tongs...

bear100

I use a Bushpig Braai, fantastic bit of kit with black enamel and so easy to clean with a wetwipe, doesn't fold down as flat as the one in the OP though but still not bad :)

CSG

Explorer
It arrived today. While it may be awhile before I actually grill anything on it (no briquettes at home), I have to say that it is a very nicely built unit. The included case is robust as well. Excellent design with one observation - due to how it folds, the sides can be slightly bowed in when you open the grill. Where it *might* be an issue is if you need to put the grill on when the unit is hot. There are some included tongs that seem to be designed to wrangle the grill onto the base if the unit is hot or lift off the grill when both are hot.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
It arrived today.

I forgot to mention that this thing barely fits in the canvas bag, such that over time the bag will tear. I need to find another bag.

Suggestion for lighting this: Diamond Strike-a-Fires https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diamond-Strike-A-Fire-48-Count-4878911025/207113544 $11 for 48 but you only need a half a stick, so 96 fires. I suggest this because it burns for a long time.

Also, it helps to have some shorter pieces of wood that fit cross-wise. If they're all long they tend to fall to the bottom and clump together, smothering the fire due to the V shape of the sides. Once you get it going, this little think can cook, provide some warmth, and provide good ambiance so you don't need to waste wood on a larger fireplace. Let us know how this works out for you.

tenoverthenose

I've had one of these for about three years now. Originally I bought it to use on an extended trip from the US to Central America. I like how small it packs down and it has held up well. We've cooked many a meal on it without issue (using both wood and briquettes ). I do remember using it on a few cold nights at high elevation for a warming fire - with poor airflow to the bottom it was difficult to start, but I used my air compressor to speed things up ;)

Robert Bills

Explorer
I forgot to mention that this thing barely fits in the canvas bag, such that over time the bag will tear. I need to find another bag. . . .

This thread inspired me to purchase my own UCO Flatpack Grill which arrived a few days ago. My first impression was that the unit is well made but the bag is much too tight. I will be sewing one a bit larger so that I can slide the dirty/sooty unit into a plastic bag before putting it into the canvas bag. It will also have a larger velcro flap.

I would recommend this change to the manufacturer but I see that these are designed in the U.S.A./manufactured in China so I doubt that anyone would pay attention to my suggestions even if there is someone working at the company during the pandemic.

CSG

Explorer
I have to agree the bag is too small. At some point, I'll likely get rid of it and find something else to carry it in. I don't sew so making a specific carry bag for it isn't in the cards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles