Uber lightweight RTT camper trailer - Metro Detroit

whitenoise

Adventurer
Hi all,

As they say, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry! My family is expanding and so my travel/camping plans for the next couple of years are on hold. I'd rather sell this trailer than have it gather dust in my garage. It is in amazing shape given its age. The previous owner said it has been garaged all its life and seldom used. We used it for two trips last year as-is and happy with how it performed. The plan was to make it off-road worthy with a new frame but refer to the first sentence above.

Here are the highlights:
1) Clean Michigan title in hand, you won't have issues registering this likely in any state.

2) Has original 1993 VIN plate from the manufacturer, Bunkhouse Camper Trailers, who is still making almost exactly the same trailer today. Many parts are still available.

3) Not exaggerating when I say it is uber lightweight (weighed in at 357lbs empty). The fiberglass is super thick and heavy-duty so the Al-Ko torsion axle and tongue are bolted directly to it with a tiny sub-frame.

4) The bed is king-sized and can sleep a family of 3 in good comfort. The mattress is 3-4" thick foam and we had no issues with it. The manufacturer sells a new mattress for $200 if you feel the need for a new one.

5) The tent functions very similar to a soft-shell RTT, take off the travel cover and unfold. It is in very good shape especially given its age. The roof appears to be a very heavy duty material similar to the travel cover. All zippers are heavy-duty YKK. We camped in pouring rain last year and the inside of the tent was bone-dry. There is a small tear at one of the seams between the sides and roof.

6) There is an additional awning and changing room section which zips on to the main tent. I haven't used it so can't comment on that. I remember there being a 3" tear on one of the sides of the changing room.

Other Info:
1) The tent and fiberglass body along with all lights etc. weighs only 214lbs. Making this off-road worthy will be a cinch, just mount the fiberglass body and tent onto a new frame and big tires. Should still come in well under 5-600lbs.
2) Hubs were re-packed and have only one 900 mile trip on them. Spare tire is brand new. Tires are in good shape but old. Gas struts were replaced last year.
3) I made a 2ft tongue extension so I could mount my bike rack and still turn safely. It is all TIG welded and is removable.
4) Converted the 5-pin motorcycle plug to a standard 7-way blade RV style plug (Toyota compatible).

How it looks behind a standard pickup, comical I know, but with the right tires and frame??
IMG_20170417_111151.jpg

Torsion Axle and sub-frame mount directly to the fiberglass. As you can see there is only a bit of surface rust on the axle after 25 years:
IMG_20170417_210118.jpg

2ft tongue extension and bike rack shown. Bike rack is not included. The camper can be moved around easily with one hand, tongue weight is around 40-50 lbs 20-30lbs empty.
IMG_20170808_210607.jpg

Load box fits 4 of these 12 gallon flip-top totes. Spare tire is in a cubby underneath the main cargo area. Easy access to all camping gear even when the tent is setup.
IMG_20170810_190124.jpg

Left bottom of the pic shows the tent side-profile, very similar to a RTT.
pano1.jpg

Interior showing king-size bed. The middle bottom of the pic shows the removable section which props up as a table to sit around. We haven't used it.
IMG_20170417_203630.jpg

Changing room and awning zips on to main section. We haven't used it.

IMG_20170417_194448mod.jpg

Asking Price $1250
Please PM in case of further questions, or call 231-715-1505 and leave a message. Located in Metro Detroit area.

Last edited:
Reactions: FMF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior