Ubco 2 x 2 thoughts?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I understand they were at OEX West this year.

http://www.ubcobikes.com/products/2x2-2018/

Very interesting bike - I'm reading about it now.

For those that don't know, this is a 2wd (yes!) electric motorcycle out of New Zealand.

With a ~ 50 mile range I don't see it as a "stand alone" adventure bike, but at a weight of < 150lbs (63kg curb weight according to the web site, about 140lbs) it could easily sit on the trailer hitch of a 4 wheeled vehicle or even on the tongue of a trailer to give you a 2 wheel exploration vehicle.

One thing I'd want to know is what options would exist for recharging it. For example, could you recharge the battery off of your vehicle while you drive? That way you could drive all day, charging the battery, then get to a campsite and unload the bike, ride it around and then potentially charge the bike again off of the vehicle's alternator.

Light weight + quiet + 2wd = very capable on trails, I would think.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I saw it OEXW and was impressed. Compared to my mountain bikes it’s pretty heavy but compared to a typical off road m/c it’s quite light. My conclusion if I ever get to where I can no longer pedal my bikes I’d consider this. Here’s a photo I took at the Expo.
9795174bbcde2250cb0cfe3c02d79eed.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I saw it a couple of times. The wife was interested in one for me but that might change after she sees the price.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Somewhere else I saw it called an "electric CT-110" which I think is an apt description.

Used to be, at least, you'd see a CT-110 hanging off the back of a lot of RVs, trailers and campers. The perfect "camp bike."

Modern 200cc+ dirt bikes are too heavy for such use (being between 250 - 300lbs.)

As with other electric vehicles, charging is going to be the make-or-break for this bike. Figure a way to charge while driving (which may require some heavy cable running to the trailer hitch) and I think it could be a winner.

A swappable battery pack could also be a good idea. Drive all day (charging the bike and/or the battery pack while driving) then get to your destination. Set up camp and you've got an electric runabout for a day or two. Then pack up, hook the charger up and drive to your next destination.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
A swappable battery pack could also be a good idea. Drive all day (charging the bike and/or the battery pack while driving) then get to your destination. Set up camp and you've got an electric runabout for a day or two. Then pack up, hook the charger up and drive to your next destination.

Unfortunately their spare battery is 25% of the cost of the bike.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Unfortunately their spare battery is 25% of the cost of the bike.

If this follows the general arc of technology, the prices should start dropping rapidly as the technology matures. If UBCO can't make a go of this, I would hope someone else does.

For example, while the 2x2 aspect is pretty cool, it's not, strictly speaking, necessary for most users. If UBCO could make an equivalent RWD only bike and cut the cost by 25% or more, it could be a real contender.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
There are dozens of electric bikes on the market now. They range from grannies grocery getter to full blown mountain bikes. There were lots of them at the Expo. Both venders and attendees had them.

To me a pedal assist electric fat bike would be ideal. Then if the battery dies you can pedal home. When I no longer can pedal I’ll probably get one.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
There are dozens of electric bikes on the market now. They range from grannies grocery getter to full blown mountain bikes. There were lots of them at the Expo. Both venders and attendees had them.

To me a pedal assist electric fat bike would be ideal. Then if the battery dies you can pedal home. When I no longer can pedal I’ll probably get one.

There's a couple we camp with and they have these:

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radmini-electric-folding-fat-bike?variant=5032656863263

They let us borrow them last month - they were lots of fun! We're thinking of getting a couple to take with our trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz