U3000 rendering

rubbens16

I've created a Sketchup drawing for converting my U3000 to an expedition vehicle. At the moment I have drawn a superstructure of 3637 mm length and 2300 mm width.

What do you think of the proportions? The drawing of the vehicle is quite accurate and should give a good idea of the proportions.

Won't the structure be too long? Do you think there is still room to transport 2 bicycles?

Regards

Ivan

Attachments

• expedition-vehicle-v4.0.png
    expedition-vehicle-v4.0.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 29

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I think your dimensions are correct. You could maybe go another 50cm longer but this would come with a weight increase (box and interior) and shift of weight over the rear axle. I would leave it like that. Where are you located? Asking because in some countries you can build the most outrages contraptions without legal issues, other countries on the other hand can be super strict.

rubbens16

I'm from Belgium. Based on the specs of this Unimog and European legislation I can extend to 65% of the space between the axes. So the space between the axes is 3250 mm, so I can create an overhang of 2112 mm. In total, this would give me a box of 4.062 mm. I've designed a box of 3.637 mm. But I don't think a box of 4.062 mm will respect the proportions of the vehicle.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I'm from Belgium. Based on the specs of this Unimog and European legislation I can extend to 65% of the space between the axes. So the space between the axes is 3250 mm, so I can create an overhang of 2112 mm. In total, this would give me a box of 4.062 mm. I've designed a box of 3.637 mm. But I don't think a box of 4.062 mm will respect the proportions of the vehicle.

We have a 4 meter body on our Transit. For 2 people it's perfect. You can still get a proper wet bath a kitchen in a 3.5 meter box but it may be a bit cramped. Picture for reference.

Attachments

• Ford Transit Camper.pdf
    304.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-5955.jpg
    IMG-5955.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Ivan. I think it looks good. The body suits the size of vehicle. If it were mine, I'd leave the rear lower corner of the body square, and make the departure angle a little less, because if you ever ground out the rear of that vehicle, you will have to have driven of a 1m ledge, or be going up a 50 deg slope... The rear of our truck has a really shallow departure angle, and it's still nearly a meter off the ground. :)

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Hi there Ivan,

I would say that the length and overhang of the box in your rendering looks nice from an esthetic point of view!
Practically wise, I guess the size will be a matter of compromizes between the needs and available space / weight. On our U1700L the outer dimensions of the camper box is 3900x2300, and for 2 adults traveling, we find that to be perfect space for us. But with a bit more creative use of the space, im sure we could have gone with a bit smaller also.

DSC_2526x.jpg

We also have bicycles hanging on ther rear above our spare wheel sometimes. The additional rear overhang this makes isn't really an issue, as it is hanging so high up above the grown and less likely to hit stuff. The added weight from the rack is also not realy noticable on our truck.

Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
If you were to loose the rear taper in the Hab box, you could also loose the front one on the top edge, and then add a roof rack or cab extension as Vegard has with his Mog..., which helps bring the body in to look like it should be there... Either way, you have to be happy with it, as its your machine. There'd be lots who wouldn't be a fan of the way I have done things on ours.

Attached is a sketch I did a while back for a fella who was trying to get the most space out of his Mog... It's based on an Australian Mog with longer wheelbase, but might help you (or hinder! ;) ). I had the spare wheels tucked into the rear of the body so the interior rear wall would have a flat surface, but allowing the bed to sit over the spare wheels (you can see the faint dotted section above the spare wheels defining the bed floor). We have done similar on the back of our body, but left the step visible, as the bumper carries on to match the rear of our body.

Mog draft.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94