U300 Camper

bdurbrow

So I've been looking at Unimog campers for quite a while. Just checked one out in the UK that was built on a U 300 chassis from 2003. The camper is an excellent build in terms of components and layout, but the guy did not use a traditional three point mount that I've seen on most campers that allow for torsion. The box is supported on two parallel sub frame rails, that are bolted to the two main frame rails along the length of the Unimog. While I would certainly be driving off road, I obviously don't envision myself rock crawling in this unit. However, I'm curious about what the community thinks on this construction. it seems like it could be possible to damage your camper fairly easily, although I didn't see any evidence of that on the truck.

canals1164

Observer
I know that the older unimog so needed three point mountings as the chassis is very flexible. I guess if you are careful it would be ok but can you imagine having a mog and thinking oh no I can't go there?

Sitec

Adventurer
Is there room to lift the box 50mm and mount it on some different points? You need to let that chassis flex..

Neil

Observer
There are several ways to allow chassis twist, all of them are good if it works for you.
I removed an existing three point system in favour of the rail on rail sub frame on springs. ( see blog )

Many of the German constructors have moved away from 3 or 4 point systems .

There are several reasons for me doing this including lowering the overall height and making the torsion adjustable.

I recently lifted one corner of the vehicle to a 1 meter off the ground and the rail on rail system coped perfectly .

Don't be put off by it not being three or four point, but ask if they have used or tested what it has.

Neil

Essex UK

Www.cloud9isborn.blogspot.com

erwin z

Actually, the UGN model is the most similar to the original. Obviously bigger, higher horse powered and more technologically advanced.
That said, who was the 1st person to create a Wohnmobil, where and what year ?

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
The original had torque tubes, UGN does not.

It doesn't take rock crawling to make a Unimogs frame twist, I'd be sure it's properly mounted as to not damage the camper or make the Unimog unstable.

Last edited:

erwin z

The original didn't have a computer, CTIS, didn't weigh in at an excess of 33,000, and a whole host of other niceties.
I doubt the original was built for rock crawling. The role was more infastructure based and agriculturally based, as it is today.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Anyways. Back to the OP's questons...

bdurbrow, you'll find all the proper information here (warning, first link is a PDF that will open):

http://s272261875.websitehome.co.uk/gal251981502/pdf/unimog_tech all_models.pdf

It's even the UK version ;)

If you need further information, Google "Body/equipment mounting directives" which is what that PDF is, then the model of Unimog you are after (U300) and you'll find all the info, directly from Ma Benz. Where the frame can and cannot be drilled, now much room is needed between the mounted body and cab for frame flex both horizontally and vertically (to allow for cab tilting as well), everything.

Here's an example of what's contained in the PDF

Attachments

• framedrill.jpg
    framedrill.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
Flex on a normal truck...

In my evening trawl on the interweb, I stumbled across a thread about a 1222MK/AK.. Very similar to a 1017 etc.. These cab overs are less off road biased than a Mog, but still have a lot of flex... Here's a pic of it 'flexed up'.. Pretty well all Mogs will have the capability to flex more than this.... image.jpg

If you plan to leave the black top, then look to more than body straight to chassis mounting. :)

julius0377

Adventurer
If the rail on rail mounting is by flexible springs/mounts (can be fixed on one end) and you are not planning the most extreme offroading it's a viable way to mount the box. Lots of builders inngermany use this in series production, however less ofthen on unimogs.

bdurbrow

Thanks for all the replies. I think my test drive was enough to convince me to stick with the more basic 1300 chassis regardless of camper mounting...The mog had an issue with the transmission grinding pretty badly when the computer would tell it to skip from 2nd to 4th.

However, I was amazed to find that it had two redundant transmission limp modes! One switch thing in the cab, and manually screwing different length bolts into the transmission to select second or fifth gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94