U1300l tray hack - Need advice

Simon dix

I want to utilise my current U1300L tray as the subframe for my camper build. If I cut away the sheet metal whilst the tray is off the Mog chassis is there a risk of the frame distorting and the subframe assembly points not lining up?

Attachments

• 133D721F-AB0B-4D65-B6F4-199191E36ED5.jpeg
    133D721F-AB0B-4D65-B6F4-199191E36ED5.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 21

Sitec

Adventurer
Are you talking about the side posts or the floor of the tray? If you are cutting material off as oppose to gas cutting it should stay fairly rigid. You could always tack weld a smaller basic box frame (1.5m x 1.5m x 1.5m) to the floor of the tray before removing everything else. This would hold it rigid while you build your external frame.

Simon dix

Are you talking about the side posts or the floor of the tray? If you are cutting material off as oppose to gas cutting it should stay fairly rigid. You could always tack weld a smaller basic box frame (1.5m x 1.5m x 1.5m) to the floor of the tray before removing everything else. This would hold it rigid while you build your external frame.
Thanks pal. Thinking of removing the floor of the tray with cutting discs. Guy Fawkes is just around the corner so plenty sparks to be had. A bit laborious but don’t really want to be heating up the entire subframe at different intervals using gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles