U.S. alternative to Seitz top hinged windows

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
So I am going to be ordering windows from Tern at some point, when I get into the build of my M1010.

@TernOverland I have a question. The M1010 has a large A/C unit mounted on the front of the ambulance box, which I will be removing. I need to fill this hole and based on the size, it seems you have one that will fit. My question is, being on the front of the box, facing forward and getting all the air flow directed at it while driving, would there be a problem with it leaking or being damaged? We would not have it open while driving ever. Here is a pic from one of the other members who removed the one off their M1010, so you get an idea what I am talking about.

img_0725-jpg.459352

Hi Mike,
No problem at all mounting our windows on the front. They won't leak. The only issue is that they MUST be closed before driving. Awning style windows catch a lot of air. My suggestion would be to attach a leash of some sort to the window, to catch it in the event that you forget.

ExpoMike

Hi Mike,
No problem at all mounting our windows on the front. They won't leak. The only issue is that they MUST be closed before driving. Awning style windows catch a lot of air. My suggestion would be to attach a leash of some sort to the window, to catch it in the event that you forget.

Thanks very much for the info. Definitely no plans to drive while open. :) Definitely think you solved the problem on how I wanted to fill this spot after removing the A/C unit.

Ramdough

Adventurer
I can't see this happening. The slides are fairly tight and require a person to shut the windows. Plus if it would be that windy I doubt I'd keep the windows that wide open...

If it was an issue for me I could easily add a lock mechanism to keep the windows ajar.

I've had them on for a couple months now and my only regret was not building them sooner!

Cheers
David

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

I looked for similar hinge but had some difficulty.

The the awning style ones say they only open up 45 degrees. The casement hinges open further, but are not intended for awnings.

Any thoughts?

Abitibi

Explorer
I can check the brand and if there's a model number on mine?

As you could see on my pics, mine open up to just about 90°. They won't stay open that far out due to the length and weight of the window but if needed I can figure a better lock mechanism to keep them wide open.

Abitibi

Explorer
The ones on my truck dont have any identifying markings but same or similar ones on my house windows have "Austenitic" and "SP" stamped. I'm attaching pictures to show what they look like partly and fully opened. Btw, the hinge on the middle picture is opened the wrong way, (but it doesn't matter to show how it works)...

Hope it helps!

547b073e2d3d813554464e6df5e05db4.jpg
82e076e000e9bd0b9d40974768847779.jpg
3aa40f70e551bab03fe3ad14603d1798.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The armor option is coming as soon as I can catch my breath and hammer out the details of how and where we might manufacture them. All of the mess with steel and aluminum tariffs have put a new ripple in things. Until we find a good avenue for manufacture, we can't set pricing. Realistically, they will not be available till the end of this year or early next year. The good news is that we will have them for every size window that we carry and they will be retrofittable for anyone who already has our windows. I have all the engineering done, so I'll see if I can get at least some CAD renderings on the website soon.
Here are some of the key features:
1. All aluminum and stainless construction
2. Viewing slots allow some light and a view to the outside when the armor is locked
3. Can be unlocked and opened from the inside using a unique keyless magnetic locking system that cannot be picked (no keys to lose)
4. The attractive frame remains permanently on the vehicle, but the actual cover can be removed easily when armor is not required.
5. extreme ease of use means that a camper full of windows can go from fully open to road ready in under 2 minutes, with nothing bulky to store. Just a closing rod used for those high windows.

These are designed to add security from humans, animals, and of course brush and branches.

The thermal package is also on hold, for similar reasons. The kit will include some parts to reduce cold bridging and will also include insulated soft panels that will fill the space created by the closed blind. Something similar could be made at home, but we will offer a nicely finished product for those who would rather buy them ready made. This kit is designed for people who truly see severely cold conditions. The windows as they are, are very good in most cold condition.

Reviving an old thread as I'm looking for windows again for a camper. Glad to have re-read all 14pgs, to be reminded how much the Dometic/Seitz screens suck, and how much everyone has appreciated David @ TernOverland's product quality and service/support.

David, now that it's 2020, anything new with the armor option and thermal package? I don't see anything mentioned on your site; https://www.ternoverland.com/arctic-tern-window

Also, will you be expanding beyond 10 window sizes?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I installed the first of many tern overland windows today. From the time a started marking out the hole till done it only took 25 minutes. super simple.

Attachments

• 209A5C2B-7BAB-431E-9C8F-BB1B49BDFE58.jpeg
    209A5C2B-7BAB-431E-9C8F-BB1B49BDFE58.jpeg
    873.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 463FDCC6-51F8-4DC0-AA77-0802C82EE6BB.jpeg
    463FDCC6-51F8-4DC0-AA77-0802C82EE6BB.jpeg
    942.2 KB · Views: 57
  • E552727E-C790-4E6D-9294-A41E4F592727.jpeg
    E552727E-C790-4E6D-9294-A41E4F592727.jpeg
    949.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 544D877D-4389-4749-9457-3B7448B99333.jpeg
    544D877D-4389-4749-9457-3B7448B99333.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • 52620C4E-D7AC-452E-8442-FABAA458D46A.jpeg
    52620C4E-D7AC-452E-8442-FABAA458D46A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 1491E99A-0DDA-4C69-947E-C39CC587F4BB.jpeg
    1491E99A-0DDA-4C69-947E-C39CC587F4BB.jpeg
    983.1 KB · Views: 61
  • A405B8A7-D685-4946-BC6B-79DBF2A2AEB2.jpeg
    A405B8A7-D685-4946-BC6B-79DBF2A2AEB2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • 59C839AD-D8D0-4830-BD8C-8AF6323C509E.jpeg
    59C839AD-D8D0-4830-BD8C-8AF6323C509E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 530A5213-4EC0-4004-8FA2-4B3F0FB455E9.jpeg
    530A5213-4EC0-4004-8FA2-4B3F0FB455E9.jpeg
    848.3 KB · Views: 64

TernOverland

Reviving an old thread as I'm looking for windows again for a camper. Glad to have re-read all 14pgs, to be reminded how much the Dometic/Seitz screens suck, and how much everyone has appreciated David @ TernOverland's product quality and service/support.

David, now that it's 2020, anything new with the armor option and thermal package? I don't see anything mentioned on your site; https://www.ternoverland.com/arctic-tern-window

Also, will you be expanding beyond 10 window sizes?

Thank you for the kind words! I need at least 3 clones of myself to keep up with all the demands and projects. Both the armor and the thermal package are still on hold. We have had very little interest in either option. I will share some interesting information though. I just got through taking extensive measurements of the thermal performance of our products, and the results surprised even me. We have a camper here with our products installed. The ambient temperature is 31 degrees. The inside temperature is stabilized at 72 degrees. I measured the temperature of a number of points on the outside shell to see how much heat is escaping from different areas.
Exterior (ambient) = 31
Interior air = 72
Exterior insulated wall surface = 32
Acrylic window surface (blind closed) = 33
Acrylic window surface (blind open) = 35
Aluminum window frame = 42
Wildland door surface (without thermal panel) = 35
Cargo access door = 35

Pretty stunning performance from the windows! The acrylic temp is only 1 degree warmer than the insulated wall, with the blind closed! I also could not condense my breath on the interior surface from 6" away. This is just one reason why I am such a strong proponent of acrylic windows over glass! Even the aluminum showed very little heat migration, and this is due to the fact the inner and outer halves of the window do not actually contact. I really have to question whether the use of additional insulation in the window is needed at all. The double pane plus the dead air space created by the closed blind is very effective.

Regarding the need for armor, we had a customer slide his van off the road into a tree. The van came to rest with the tree crushing a window completely flat. The inner and outer panes where touching! When the van was recovered, the window popped right back into shape. A little polish to rub out the mark, and good as new. He did not believe that a glass window would have survived the impact.

No current plans to add more window sizes. We did add the 450x500 to our line-up in direct response to van builders who wanted a better option for the rear doors. Adding a new size is a pretty big investment of resources, but we are open and listening. If a hole exists that we can fill, we will.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thank you for the kind words! I need at least 3 clones of myself to keep up with all the demands and projects. Both the armor and the thermal package are still on hold. We have had very little interest in either option. I will share some interesting information though. I just got through taking extensive measurements of the thermal performance of our products, and the results surprised even me. We have a camper here with our products installed. The ambient temperature is 31 degrees. The inside temperature is stabilized at 72 degrees. I measured the temperature of a number of points on the outside shell to see how much heat is escaping from different areas.
Exterior (ambient) = 31
Interior air = 72
Exterior insulated wall surface = 32
Acrylic window surface (blind closed) = 33
Acrylic window surface (blind open) = 35
Aluminum window frame = 42
Wildland door surface (without thermal panel) = 35
Cargo access door = 35

Pretty stunning performance from the windows! The acrylic temp is only 1 degree warmer than the insulated wall, with the blind closed! I also could not condense my breath on the interior surface from 6" away. This is just one reason why I am such a strong proponent of acrylic windows over glass! Even the aluminum showed very little heat migration, and this is due to the fact the inner and outer halves of the window do not actually contact. I really have to question whether the use of additional insulation in the window is needed at all. The double pane plus the dead air space created by the closed blind is very effective.

Regarding the need for armor, we had a customer slide his van off the road into a tree. The van came to rest with the tree crushing a window completely flat. The inner and outer panes where touching! When the van was recovered, the window popped right back into shape. A little polish to rub out the mark, and good as new. He did not believe that a glass window would have survived the impact.

No current plans to add more window sizes. We did add the 450x500 to our line-up in direct response to van builders who wanted a better option for the rear doors. Adding a new size is a pretty big investment of resources, but we are open and listening. If a hole exists that we can fill, we will.

Busy is good (as long as you can handle all the inquiries)!
You're very welcome David.
Excellent thermal data, and info about the accident, thanks for sharing!

Very unfortunate to hear about no more window sizes than the 10sizes on your site. What about custom ordering a size EuroVision already manufacturers? While shipping isn't cheap, I've heard some of your dealers have been able to special order in the past, choosing from the 21 EuroVision sizes; https://styromax.com.au/products/eurovisionwindows/
And their EV-300-1100 is almost exactly what I need, and would complete my TernOverland order!

You/EuroVision have a fantastic thing going as seen by the favorable feedback here, but respectfully, if USA customers are limited to only 10 of 21 EuroVision's window sizes, especially when the lower quality Dometic/Seitz offers 40 sizes, quite simply it means more crappy windows in the USA. And who likes crappy windows? ;) I'll give you a call.

Last edited:

TernOverland

Busy is good (as long as you can handle all the inquiries)!
You're very welcome David.
Excellent thermal data, and info about the accident, thanks for sharing!

Very unfortunate to hear about no more window sizes than the 10sizes on your site. What about custom ordering a size EuroVision already manufacturers? While shipping isn't cheap, I've heard some of your dealers have been able to special order in the past, choosing from the 21 EuroVision sizes; https://styromax.com.au/products/eurovisionwindows/
And their EV-300-1100 is almost exactly what I need, and would complete my TernOverland order!

You/EuroVision have a fantastic thing going as seen by the favorable feedback here, but respectfully, if USA customers are limited to only 10 of 21 EuroVision's window sizes, especially when the lower quality Dometic/Seitz offers 40 sizes, quite simply it means more crappy windows in the USA. And who likes crappy windows? ;) I'll give you a call.

Unfortunately, 10 sizes is all we can handle right now. We have to order in very large quantities because our Arctic Tern windows are custom built to our specs. Doubling our inventory would require at least another 2,000 sq ft of warehouse space. We can bring in other sizes, but the minimum order would be 25 units. We occasionally do that for manufacturers who will be using the window routinely. In that case it is worth the cost for us to set up a parts program for that product. The problem with bringing in one window for a customer is that we would not have parts or be able to offer any warranty or service. The cost to set up a parts inventory for one window, that one customer has, is many times the cost of the window. We just can't do that. We have one of the best records of anybody out there for our customer service. We stand behind what we sell, or we don't sell it.

I truly do sympathize with you though. I sent you an email, and I'm hoping that perhaps our 450 x 1100 might fit in there. Dometic pulled out of servicing this market a long time ago, and their windows have issues that I don't need to explain.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Unfortunately, 10 sizes is all we can handle right now. We have to order in very large quantities because our Arctic Tern windows are custom built to our specs. Doubling our inventory would require at least another 2,000 sq ft of warehouse space. We can bring in other sizes, but the minimum order would be 25 units. We occasionally do that for manufacturers who will be using the window routinely. In that case it is worth the cost for us to set up a parts program for that product. The problem with bringing in one window for a customer is that we would not have parts or be able to offer any warranty or service. The cost to set up a parts inventory for one window, that one customer has, is many times the cost of the window. We just can't do that. We have one of the best records of anybody out there for our customer service. We stand behind what we sell, or we don't sell it.

I truly do sympathize with you though. I sent you an email, and I'm hoping that perhaps our 450 x 1100 might fit in there. Dometic pulled out of servicing this market a long time ago, and their windows have issues that I don't need to explain.

Thanks for the further explanation David. I understand.
Email recv'd, thanks for that.
Looking forward to receiving 3 of your 10 window sizes. Unfortunately I'll have to go elsewhere for the 4th as the 450x1100 is just a wee bit too big.
Thanks again for your excellent service thus far!
Note to others; my information in post #208 is incorrect, TernOverland hasn't been using EuroVision windows since sometime in 2018 (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...op-hinged-windows.140945/page-10#post-2526055), thus why the 21 EuroVision sizes is a moot point. Apologies for not catching the info in post #145 previously.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles