U.S. alternative to Seitz top hinged windows

Ramdough

Adventurer
welllllll... I don't know..... a small camera and a monitor inside to look at will end up with significantly more Rvalue and less issue with thermal transmission when one take into account the same square footage as any window you compare it with. Purchase price and installing a cam and monitor probably turns out significantly cheaper too.

Yeah...... no thank you.

You need at least one window and skylight large enough for an egress, just for safety.

I also like looking at nature and severe weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
A well insulated composite panel will take care of that safety concern as well or better than glazing.

Prioritizing natural light and views over energy efficiency is a preference.

Foam panels or other coverings over glazing can also - at the price of some cost and inconvenience - give both values without going crazy looking for windows with decent R-values.

java

Expedition Leader
A well insulated composite panel will take care of that safety concern as well or better than glazing.

Prioritizing natural light and views over energy efficiency is a preference.

Foam panels or other coverings over glazing can also - at the price of some cost and inconvenience - give both values without going crazy looking for windows with decent R-values.
Windows are definitely a preference. Don't go looking for windows with r value, it's so miniscule it doesn't matter, you're putting a hole in the wall basically.

But for me, even planning lots of cold-weather excursions, I put giant windows in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fadeagray

Had some time to think more about it.

Have you had the window open when it is really windy? Any concern of wind slamming the window shut or damaging anything?

On windy days it is possible to have the Tern window open wider due to wind. My solution is to leave the windows in the vent position and use the Max fan for air flow. Also, do not leave the shade down on windy days with the window open. The wind can blow the shade out of it’s track. All said, I am very happy with Tern products and their service.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Windows are definitely a preference. Don't go looking for windows with r value, it's so miniscule it doesn't matter, you're putting a hole in the wall basically.

But for me, even planning lots of cold-weather excursions, I put giant windows in.

That sounds like practical advice.

Have you had any issues with condensation? Some?

I prefer a lot of light and views for sure. Also, when beach camping, we get a constant wind that will keep you cool with large enough openings.

I plan to have some sort of awning over each window to help with the sun. Maybe out of 1/2 foam core composite. After that, any breeze is helpful. I will also have an air conditioner in the camper, but I prefer passive whenever I can use it.

I also like visiting very cold places, but heat is not an issue. I have two D5WZ heaters and may even get one of those Chinese units just to warm up the air fast. Condensation is my only concern there.

Point of my previous post was that I like lots of windows, I am not sure if there is as much advantage to double paned glass as advertised, not yet convinced acrylic is going to last, wanted some input.

Thanks everyone.

java

Expedition Leader
That sounds like practical advice.

Have you had any issues with condensation? Some?

I prefer a lot of light and views for sure. Also, when beach camping, we get a constant wind that will keep you cool with large enough openings.

I plan to have some sort of awning over each window to help with the sun. Maybe out of 1/2 foam core composite. After that, any breeze is helpful. I will also have an air conditioner in the camper, but I prefer passive whenever I can use it.

I also like visiting very cold places, but heat is not an issue. I have two D5WZ heaters and may even get one of those Chinese units just to warm up the air fast. Condensation is my only concern there.

Point of my previous post was that I like lots of windows, I am not sure if there is as much advantage to double paned glass as advertised, not yet convinced acrylic is going to last, wanted some input.

Thanks everyone.

I too prefer light and natural ventilation. I have no AC.

I did double pane glass. Glass itself is great in the cold, the frames still suck. Aluminum frames condense still, but the glass stays pretty darn clear. If someone could make a composite frame glass window that would be awesome, but they dont.... I generally keep one of the maxxfans blowing out on low, really helps keep the moisture down. I didn't want acrylic as I stuff my truck donw forested roads in the PNW, IE scratch the poop out of the sides. The acrylic windows I have seen scratch easily.

dentedvw

Wire twister

Chinese units?

john61ct

Adventurer
cheap Espar / Webasto knockoffs, few hundred bucks tops

DIY install, no service available, stock your own parts

looking for gasoline fueled hydronics version myself

The Artisan

Adventurer
I too prefer light and natural ventilation. I have no AC.

I did double pane glass. Glass itself is great in the cold, the frames still suck. Aluminum frames condense still, but the glass stays pretty darn clear. If someone could make a composite frame glass window that would be awesome, but they dont.... I generally keep one of the maxxfans blowing out on low, really helps keep the moisture down. I didn't want acrylic as I stuff my truck donw forested roads in the PNW, IE scratch the poop out of the sides. The acrylic windows I have seen scratch easily.
I am making frp composite frames with makrolon foldout windows for my pod. The frames will get coated with polyurea. Will let you know how they turn out.
Kevin

java

Expedition Leader
I am making frp composite frames with makrolon foldout windows for my pod. The frames will get coated with polyurea. Will let you know how they turn out.
Kevin
Cool, love to see a build thread :D

The Artisan

Adventurer
Cool, love to see a build thread :D

It is my old build but I have a new poptopper coming put and will add one to this or build one.
Kevin

Bristol

Observer
I have a van that needs a good window, but I hadn't really had a chance to research it. I just came back from the Northwest Overland Rally though and Tern Overland was there with their product. I was VERY impressed with the quality. I played with the windows quite a bit and everything worked perfectly. They clearly put a lot of thought into the design of their windows!

At the same show I noticed that a custom Sprinter van had Dometic windows. I thought "Great a lower cost option to Tern Overland". I asked the owner to check out their windows. They don't lock down as much as the Tern to keep dust out. The bug screen came out of the track the first time I tried to use it. The privacy shade jammed in the track and would not go up or down, just stuck 1/4 of the way. NO THANKS!!! I'm glad I got to see the Dometic first hand as I usually buy based on price. In this case I wouldn't care if the Dometic were free, I still wouldn't bother with them.

My only concern with the Tern Overland windows is scratching. Their rep said that they were developing an armor option that was already CAD designed and might be out by the end of 2019. I see they posted that here in 2018 though, so I wouldn't hold my breath. :) It would be nice if there was a clear film option, which I asked about. It seems that Tern really hasn't tested much. Has anyone else had any luck with 3M clear films or the like on acrylic windows? I go down some tight tracks sometimes, so my van and Jeep are both pin stripped like crazy! I've even had a tree branch impale my Jeep soft top. I'd hate to see how an acrylic window would look over time, unless somehow protected.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
The interesting things is, we hear a lot about people worried about scratching their windows. I guess we probably have 2,500 to 3,000 in use now, and so far we have not sold a single replacement acrylic pane to anyone who has scratched them beyond repair or broken one on the trail. Not one. One guy spent 3 months running around Baja, and his truck looked way worse than the windows. The only replacements we have sold have been due to forklift damage in shipping, or installers pushing them out of the hole during installation and having them land face down on the concrete from an elevated position. Film manufacturers do not recommend their products for use on acrylic, at least none that we can find. We haven't done any independent testing no. We are going off of their recommendations.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We have had these windows (and entry door) in use for more then two years. Our camper was the first one in North America that had these installed. They are a quality product. Will they scratch, yes. Is it bad, no. We do a lot of camping in dense forests around Vancouver Island. I think most brush is below our window line and doesn't really touch it. But I can tell you that we regularly getting our pin striping by parking and navigating through narrow city streets that are lined with trees. I'm sure I could buff these shallow scratches out. But so far they don't bug us. To be honest, I think if they are getting too bad, I will just order new windows. At less then half of the European glass windows I'm more then happy to swap them out. This shouldn't take more then 10 minutes when the time comes.
Granted, other arclic windows look the same at first glance. They are not. The main difference is within the blind assemblies. The Artic Tern ones are 100% bug proof and block outside light very very well. I never had them derail. In fact, our 3.5 year old boy loves to "punch" his hand through the closed blinds... At first I freaked out... But learned very quick that you simply push the fabric back into the rail with your finger and everything is good. Saying that, I'm very confident that these windows and blinds will perform very well for a long time.

Btw, we are currently running a 10% discount on our webstore! Check us out on Instagram for the promo code.

Cheers.

ExpoMike

So I am going to be ordering windows from Tern at some point, when I get into the build of my M1010.

@TernOverland I have a question. The M1010 has a large A/C unit mounted on the front of the ambulance box, which I will be removing. I need to fill this hole and based on the size, it seems you have one that will fit. My question is, being on the front of the box, facing forward and getting all the air flow directed at it while driving, would there be a problem with it leaking or being damaged? We would not have it open while driving ever. Here is a pic from one of the other members who removed the one off their M1010, so you get an idea what I am talking about.

img_0725-jpg.459352

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles