U-Joints - Need Some Info

Stryder106

Explorer
My Av still has the original u-joints - after 179K miles and 15 years, thinking I'm going to swap them out. But, with the 4.88 gears, locker, 35x12.50-17 tires, loaded weight for long duration treks, and the increased trail usage - which type of u-joints should I get? Greaseable with the hollow body for maintenance, or non-greasable with the solid body for increased strength? What say All Y'All?

eggman918

Adventurer
I prefer greaseable but have heard good things from others about lifetime lubed ones, one thing i know for sure is I ONLY run Spicer joints and they have served me flawlessly....$.02

rayra

Expedition Leader
~360k on my '85 C-10. Never got around to changing them. In fact some UMB? UXB? greasable replacements I bought some ~15yrs ago are still sitting in their wrappers with their boxes degraded around them. And I discovered they'll fit on my '02 Sub, too! GM apparently doesn't change anything that works.

Replacing them is an opportunity to go 'stronger'. Not sure it's a necessity. If you plan to straddle some stuff in Moab, I'd upgrade. you already learned a lesson about that sort of critical control, with your ABS. But just driving around? haven't needed them yet.

And there's no limit to the reinforcement game. Each component you beef up just transfers the stress to the next weakest link in the chain. I'd rather blow a u-joint than a transmission.

Meili

Adventurer
I would use the greaseable type.

You can "flush" them if you do a lot of water crossings and I would rather have a joint fail then some other part of the drive-train.

Think of it as a fuse that is easier to replace on the trail then say a rear or trans.

Stryder106

Explorer
Hmmm - I've already strengthened both ends of that equation: Trans and Rearend. Which would make the current weak links the U-Joints - right? I'm not opposed to using factory - but I too am a Spicer guy (on my race car) and was looking to add a bit more strength for the trail. Good points on both sides........................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior