Types of tire chains?

aer21

What are the opinions on the types of tire chains for winter weather and to just have in the pickup for a just in case at any time of the year? In the past I’ve had the ones with the bungee spider on the outside of the wheel but the bungee broke pretty much immediately. Is there a particular one that will last a long time, will fasten tight to the tire and provide good traction? I’m putting them on a 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 with 285/75/18 tires.

Red90

Adventurer
For what use? Different types of chains are better for different things.

For off road use, I find V bar, ladder chains to be the best. Easy to put on and off, great traction and indestructible.

On road, we just use real tires up here where there is 8 months of winter, but something lighter duty like RUDs should be pretty durable without being too rough if you are only needing to get by on the occasional icy road.

aer21

I guess I would say mostly off road use, I have a hunt coming up in Colorado Monday and would like to get something to have just in case. After that, I go to the desert area in south Idaho or southeast Oregon and do a bunch of winter coyote hunting in the blm land.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I've been using RUD 4x4 Grip Chains on the Montero for years now. They get used once or twice a year off-highway. These chains can be installed without moving the rig, which is nice. However, they are not as stout as some, but this means they don't weigh as much either.
I've had the chains break on the trail before, but these are easily repaired in the field. For occasional use and/or getting you out of a sticky situation these are great IMHO...not to mention they're affordable as well.
Cheers

I've been using RUD 4x4 Grip Chains on the Montero for years now. They get used once or twice a year off-highway. These chains can be installed without moving the rig, which is nice. However, they are not as stout as some, but this means they don't weigh as much either.
I've had the chains break on the trail before, but these are easily repaired in the field. For occasional use and/or getting you out of a sticky situation these are great IMHO...not to mention they're affordable as well.
Cheers

I also use these. I think they’re among the best that can be purchased in the states for a reasonable price. You can buy better, stouter chains, but the price climbs quickly for something rarely used.

Trail Talk

Wonder what your owner’s manual says? I was surprise/disappointed to read for my F350 4x4 the only approved config was low-profile Class S chains on rear wheels.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Depending on your application there are various styles of this type appearing on the market.
Light, cheap, fit one or fit 8 per wheel.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

aer21

After researching more, I guess I intend on only putting them on the back and only if necessary.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
With weight in the back and a good tire chain on the rear you would be surprised just how far off road you can get a freighted truck in deep snow. Our work tundras had to run year round in north central utah and off road at that. Now, keeping in mind it was light utah snow bumper plowing height was normal, over the hood in some of the drifts worked if you kept moving and had weight in the back ( on flat roads)

Here is how I look at chains, if you need them, you really need them so get something good. On my tacoma I can only mount them on the rear ties. No clearance on the front. I carry two types of chains year round in the truck. A heavy duty set of v bar ladder chains for off road, or onroad if it is bad. I run weight in the back, have 4x4, and quality studded, skinny winter tires. I also use sound judgement with when I go out. I have yet to find an on road situation where I would need to put on my rear chains. If I do... I have zero issues running the v bars on the road if that means I get home safe, because odds are I got caught with my pants down by a fast moving winter dumping or things have gone fairly wrong and I Have to get where I am going. We average about 300 inches of snow here where I live above 5,000 feet my drive way is 1/4 mile 9 percent grade and dirt, and they dont even fire up the plow trucks till there is 4 inches on the road unless there is a steep hill on a school bus route. I figure if you have to put them on, you might as well have the best traction you can get from those two tires. I also carry 2 sets or 4 total " track grabber" devices. There are big rubber blocks that fit through the rim holes on a ratchet strap and lash on the tire. the blocks have big groves on them. the idea is low speed, get unstuck by lifting the truck up and then spinning the tire. you caqn put two or more per tire based on where you have traction ( damn open diffs) or one per tire. Unless you are high centered they work well for snow and mud. im into the whole set up less than 300 bucks short of needing a winch it will get me out of most tricky spots involving reasonable amounts of mud or snow on or off road.

the rubber bungee things that come with the chains are total crap. You can buy better ones fairly cheaply that have decent hooks and are made of thicker rubber. The ones they design for tractor or skidsteer tires are nice. I also make sure to have 20-30 feet of 550 para cord with the chains. you can do the same action as the bungee with the para cord by tying on to one link then criss crossing back and forth around the tires with the cord. cheap, durable, easy on and off. I use this on my quad all winter for plowing, have never actually use it on the truck. Not sure how long it would last on a truck vs ATV but it is fast easy and cheap so if I only get one use out of it then im ok with it. Pliers, old sleeping pad or yoga mat and some wodden blocks to drive up onto are all nice for making the action of putting chains on and taking them off easy and fast. oh and for keepiung you dry in the process. dont forget the gloves.

best of luck.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Here's an idea, contact a TIRE chain company, they're out there, and get a REAL solution NOT an opinion to your question.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I don’t think I have enough clearance between the upper control arm and the tires.
For what it's worth, you can gain some clearance by installing off set rims.
(...my brother did it on his Tacoma to accommodate chains on his front wheels.)

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
I carry cable chains because the only time I chain up is when I'm forced to at the chain control checkpoints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online