Twozone User Reviews?

slosurfer

Adventurer
I searched for reviews on the twozones and only found a few comments. I am trying to talk my dad into getting a Engel 45 and Twozone. His concern is that your freezer ends up being bigger than the cooler part, which is backwards from normal (you usually have less stuff that is needed to be frozen and more stuff you don't want frozen). How are people dealing with this? His other concern was that if you have the bottom set to a regular fridge setting, will the top still be cool enough to keep drinks (beer :) ) cold?

Please post your thoughts, reviews, how you set your zones up, etc... I found plenty on the fridges themselves and he is sold on them. He liked the MT60 Combi, till he saw how big and heavy it was. I'm trying to sell him on the 45 plus twozone, because that would fit better in my vehicles:sombrero:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Chris-

There are limited people out there with TwoZone units... your best bet is try exporeoz forums where the TwoZone is a more common comodity. I would throw up my review, but Scott has't posted it up yet!

D'OH!

I know Gear (Justin) has one on a MT-35 in Chaser #15. Maybe he will post up.

If you have any questions, give us a call.

slosurfer

Adventurer
Wil, thanks I will check out those forums. I did catch one of Gear's comments about it with the chaser trailer. I will keep an eye out for your review.

hoser

Explorer
For about the cost of an Engel 45 and Two-Zone, he could also get an Engel Combi 60 where the fridge is 34qts and the freezer is 26.5 qts. The fridge is preset at 40 degrees and the freezer is adjustable. They also make a newer Engel Combi 80.

Last edited:

slosurfer

Adventurer
He really liked the 60 combi, but the footprint was too big. Most of the time they go camping, they have the camper on the back of the Dodge, so he already has a fridge and freezer. He could have the 45 in the cab for those times when they drop the camper at a site and go exploring for the day. Then he could use the 45 and the twozone on those trips where they take the Disco (if he ever chases all the gremlins out of it). The 45 and twozone would work better in the boat also where floor space is minimal. He is drooling over a kubota utility vehicle right now, so who knows what he is going to do.

Either way, I am very interested in the reviews of the twozone, as eventually I will be in the market for a fridge.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
I'm very pleased with the TwoZone. My approach is to use the Engel 45 as a frig (just a tad below freezing), and the TwoZone for things like fruits, vegetables, bread, eggs, etc. Stuff that doesn't need a lot of refrigeration. I'd keep your drinks in the lower compartment, along with the meat, milk, cheese, etc.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
As Wil stated I have the TwoZone and an Engle 35 in the Chaser #15. I am doing the same as Green Ganesha with the temp. I run the bottom as a refrigerator and the top for just keeping things cool. I have put two temp gauges inside one at the bottom and one attached to the lid. The temp difference is 20 degree's. So in my case the bottom is around 34 degree's and the top is 54 degree's. I personally bought the TwoZone as an after thought since I had the 35 already and needed more space. If I had to do it again I would have just bought the 45. Hope this helps.

slosurfer

Adventurer
Trevor and Justin, thank you, that is very helpful.

Is it possible to turn the fridge lower to where you don't get a full freeze for the whole bottom portion. Have you been able to find a setting where it will possibly just freeze the very bottom layer while the stuff at the top of the Engel just gets really cold? Or is it kind of a one shot deal, to get anything frozen, the whole Engel section gets frozen? Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm trying to figure out if you could have some popsicles or ice on the very bottom, without deepfreezing the whole compartment.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I have not tried using it as a freezer yet. My thoughts are if you adjust the temp down you could deep freeze the bottom at 15 - 20 degree's and the top would be close to 35 - 40. This probably does not help you out. If you could think of a simple test that I could perform for you I would be more than happy to try it out. The trailer is just sitting in the garage awaiting its next trip.

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
slosurfer said:
Have you been able to find a setting where it will possibly just freeze the very bottom layer while the stuff at the top of the Engel just gets really cold?

I have not noticed any variation in temperature between the top and bottom of the Engel itself (just between the Engel and the TwoZone).

slosurfer

Adventurer
Green Ganesha said:
I have not noticed any variation in temperature between the top and bottom of the Engel itself (just between the Engel and the TwoZone).

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Gear, thanks, that does help some. I'll let you know if I think of a simple test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online