Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The latest issue of JPFreek Adventure Magazine features three articles from me, and a ton of my photos.

I'm extremely proud to be writing for this awesome magazine, it's been a dream for a long time to be a writer / photographer.

Check it out here (It's FREE!): JPFreek Adventure Magazine EJS 2016

jpfreek-dan-africa-prrep.jpg

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Part 2 of the Jeep build is now live on YouTube:

Let me know what you think!

-Dan

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
Great work so far Dan! Looking forward to more updates!

I've been looking heavily into the Renogy Solar panels that you mentioned. When(if) you've got some free time, let's chat a bit more about the details on them!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Great work so far Dan! Looking forward to more updates!

I've been looking heavily into the Renogy Solar panels that you mentioned. When(if) you've got some free time, let's chat a bit more about the details on them!

Thanks!

Fire away with any questions you have on the panels. I absolutely love them, and check the status multiple times per day. Right now at 9.34 in the morning they have the battery fully topped off after a night of fridge :)

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey everyone,

Now the build of the Jeep is complete, I'm moving my trip thread over to the "In Progress Adventures" section.

You can find it here http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...angler-80-000-miles-around-Africa-for-2-years

I'll still post here from time to time when something related to the Jeep comes up, but for the general expedtion stuff, it will be in that other thread.

For even more frequent updates I'll be posting to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as often as I have internet.

Also, I just bought tickets to get on the ferry to Morocco tomorrow for the Jeep and I :) :)

dan-grec-africa-bound-720x480.jpg

-Dan

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Good luck and safe travels! I'm sure you'll have an epic journey and I will look forward to following along.....from my desk.........sigh......

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
bubble gum, safety wire, and metal melting stuff

Great article, short and to the point! :)

Really like that you are carrying a multi meter. One of the most common issues is with electrical items added on.

Bubble gum works great when stressed over a break down. Keeps me from mindlessly grinding my teeth while working through a resolution.

You probably have these in your "etc., etc." comments, but I like to carry a small spool of safety wire, and safety wire pliers.
Amazing what can be pieced back together with safety wire. Even sewing up a gashed sidewall can be done with safety wire.

Since you have two batteries, some welding rod in a dry tube holder would be a nice addition. Along with your battery cables, and a hand held shield (you can clip to a ball cap), makes a great little welding rig in a pinch.
Here's an article to demonstrate what I'm talking about.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Golfcart--Welder/

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ is a great place to see excellent videos on welding techniques.

Glad to read things are going well, and you are having a blast out there. :beer:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Great article, short and to the point! :)

Really like that you are carrying a multi meter. One of the most common issues is with electrical items added on.

Thanks!
I'm an electronics / software guy, so I always have a multimeter around, even at home.
Bubble gum works great when stressed over a break down. Keeps me from mindlessly grinding my teeth while working through a resolution.

Yep. For me it's always slow down, drink a bunch of cold water, maybe start eating something, and think it through for a while.
Think about what it might be, what tools I have, and how I can verify if my hopethis is correct before I start pulling stuff apart.

You probably have these in your "etc., etc." comments, but I like to carry a small spool of safety wire, and safety wire pliers.
Amazing what can be pieced back together with safety wire. Even sewing up a gashed sidewall can be done with safety wire.

Indeed! Gorilla Tape too is nifty stuff.

Since you have two batteries, some welding rod in a dry tube holder would be a nice addition. Along with your battery cables, and a hand held shield (you can clip to a ball cap), makes a great little welding rig in a pinch.
Here's an article to demonstrate what I'm talking about.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Golfcart--Welder/

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ is a great place to see excellent videos on welding techniques.

Glad to read things are going well, and you are having a blast out there. :beer:

I had been planning all along to bring welding rods. Then during the build of the Jeep while friends were welding stuff for me, I tried a few times.
My skills are abysmal, to the point of not really being worth anything, so I didn't bring any rods. Maybe I should throw some in for the hell of it.

One of my goals after the trip is to learn how to weld, properly.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey All,

The trip and Jeep are going along great. Lots of updates on maintenance, upgrades and repairs coming very, very soon.

Crawling under the Jeep the other day I noticed the passenger end of the Drag link has a tiny bit of up/down play.
I can feel it when someone jerks the wheel back and forward while I hold the drag link.
The play is maybe 2mm at most.

Is that normal for that joint, or is it dying?

Thanks!

-Dan

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Hey All,

The trip and Jeep are going along great. Lots of updates on maintenance, upgrades and repairs coming very, very soon.

Crawling under the Jeep the other day I noticed the passenger end of the Drag link has a tiny bit of up/down play.
I can feel it when someone jerks the wheel back and forward while I hold the drag link.
The play is maybe 2mm at most.

Is that normal for that joint, or is it dying?

Thanks!

-Dan

Im no mechanic but from what I have heard and researched, rotational play in the tie rod is normal, while up and down play is not. Again, I might be wrong but it is possible the tie rod is getting old.

Bam2413

Observer
Man I really like how you had the J30 modified for full standing room. Ordered my J30 March 1st I wonder if it is too late and what the cost would be. Did they have to re-engineer it from the beginning or did they just cut it out for you? They should offer that as an option and call it the Grec Edition!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles