Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys!

My adventures have caught the eye of Jeep, who just released my story as part of the #MyJeepStory campaign for their 75th anniversary.

I am extremely proud to know they are as excited as I am :)

-Dan

Overland History

Wanderluster
As I said on facebook, super proud of you Dan!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures and being your "sounding board" for your mods and trip.

Safe travels bud! ;)

Septu

Explorer
Hey question for you. Where do you keep your syphon hose? I'm fine with keeping it in the cab before I've used it or after it's aired out... but where do you keep yours right after you finish using it? In the past when I used one, I just tossed it in a bag and put it in the gas carrier I had. I've thought about doing something similar... but figured I'd see what others are doing first.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey question for you. Where do you keep your syphon hose? I'm fine with keeping it in the cab before I've used it or after it's aired out... but where do you keep yours right after you finish using it? In the past when I used one, I just tossed it in a bag and put it in the gas carrier I had. I've thought about doing something similar... but figured I'd see what others are doing first.

It's an ongoing question for me too.
I also have a Mr. Funnel that's going to get smelly that needs a home.

Right now I have them in the heavy duty plastic bag, in the rear cubby, which I made a steel lid for. Time will tell if the fumes will be too strong.
Maybe leaving them in the sun for 5 minutes before putting them away will be enough.

If they're bad, they'll have to find a home outside somehow.
Maybe in the void of the spare tire, though I'll need a way to secure them, and make sure they won't get destroyed by the elements and bouncing around.

-Dan

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer

Right now I have them in the heavy duty plastic bag, in the rear cubby, which I made a steel lid for. Time will tell if the fumes will be too strong.
Maybe leaving them in the sun for 5 minutes before putting them away will be enough.

Maybe in the void of the spare tire, though I'll need a way to secure them, and make sure they won't get destroyed by the elements and bouncing around.

-Dan

Yeah, that's kinda what I've been thinking. I have a ton of room in there on this new tire carrier. Was thinking a heavy plastic bag (zip lock of sorts), inside a mesh one that I can tie in there so it doesn't go anywhere. Then a bungie cord or something to keep both in place.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that's kinda what I've been thinking. I have a ton of room in there on this new tire carrier. Was thinking a heavy plastic bag (zip lock of sorts), inside a mesh one that I can tie in there so it doesn't go anywhere. Then a bungie cord or something to keep both in place.

A re-usable zip tie might be another good option. Works like a standard zip tie, but has a tail on the lock tab.
http://www.cabletiesunlimited.com/cable-ties/releasable-nylon-cable-ties.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Click%20Catalyst%20-%20Search&utm_term=%2Breusable%20%2Bzip%20%2Bties&utm_content=re%20usable%20zip%20ties#.VBnWUcKwJIU?keyword_session_id=kt~%2Breusable%20%2Bzip%20%2Bties|mt~e|ta~{creative}&_vsrefdom=wordstream

I use one to help secure the shovel, and it works great.
Coil up inside the spare, and just zip tie in place.

swanyo

Observer
I have a canvas bag from Bucket Boss that is about 12 in diameter and maybe 1.5 deep. Keeps most dirt out and is breathable and can always hang outside.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thats awesome! Super jealous that Jeep got a hold of you. Good luck from Texas on your adventure in Africa man!

As I said on facebook, super proud of you Dan!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures and being your "sounding board" for your mods and trip.

Safe travels bud! ;)

I can see why Jeep is excited to have you on board. You are a great spokesperson, speaking from the heart. :beer:

Wow, thanks everyone for the very kind words, it means a lot to have your support :) :) :)

The shipping container has arrived in Europe, I'm just North of London with my sister.
I'll fly over next week and pick it up :)

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The Road Chose Me is now in video format!

I'll be filming the entire adventure, and this first video recaps my Alaska->Argentina adventure, and lays out the plan for Africa.

I hope you'll follow along!

I'd love to hear any and all feedback from you guys too - what do you want me to include, what do you want me to forget out?
What would you like to see in these videos?

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Dan

Last edited:

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Very cool Dan! You're then man. I will certainly follow along and continue to live vicariously through you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles