Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Saw the awning. If you remember the rain we got camping that one weekend, and how much space was lost due to no walls, I kinda question how effective that would be in the rain. Good for the sun obviously.

Agree. I'm undecided yet if I'll make walls for it out of solid canvas, or bug netting, or maybe even carry both.

There will be walls of some kind.

-Dan

wanabxtrm

Observer
Shhh! (haha)
And yes, I will measure ground to fender too. It's an AEV 2.5" lift, and even with all the additions, it's sitting at least a 1.5" higher than it did as a stock Rubicon.
I've only put about 3k miles on the lift though, so it might settle a bit yet.

-Dan

I'm looking to stay close to stock height, but even with used COD springs they're soft with The aev bumpers both sides, a Gobi rack and various other things. I figure aev 2.5 will work out in the end but they don't advertise the weight for it.

Thanks!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
My vote goes to painting those wheels body color. They would look pretty sweet!

Glad your going back to the Africa expedition. This is going to look like a great trip for you!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
My vote goes to painting those wheels body color. They would look pretty sweet!

Glad your going back to the Africa expedition. This is going to look like a great trip for you!

I got the powder coated from white to black on Thursday.. likely not about to do that again :)

Thanks for the kind words :)

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Love the wheels..

dbe582ce2a48a8dfad6f7f91113eed7f.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I ran part of Hells Revenge yesterday, it was unreal.

I went into the Escalator, did trail work with great people from Tread Lightly then turned around and came back out.
I was told my Jeep would have gone right through, doing all the drive arounds obviously.

AEV 2.5", stock Rubicon 32" tires, jeep didn't scrape once.

I'm extremely happy to have gotten the Rubicon now, the crawl speed of low range 1st gear is impressive.

wjQJN30.jpg

-Dan

jeffe

Observer
Wow, excellent thread! I just ran through your website and have already booked it as a favorite. Excited to live vicariously through your adventures. Also, Sid is by far the best looking sloth I've ever seen!

I had the chance to work in South Africa for a summer two years ago and the entire time I kept thing "I'd love to have my jeep out here". There's so much natural beauty spread out through Africa, I can't say I'm not jealous. Have fun and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

I had an awesome time at EJS in Moab, it really is a Jeep addicts dream.
I'm in Michigan now, getting closer to the coast to ship the Jeep over the Atlantic.

Living in the Jeep for a few weeks has promoted me to make all kinds of minor tweaks and adjustments for living convenience.

Space has always been at a premium, so I made a cutlery/tool holder on my Trailgator Tailgate Table, so I can leave often-used items there when the table is closed.

africa-jk-trailgator-cutlery-board-720x480.jpg

Let me know if you would like me to write up a HOW-TO article so you can make your own.

-Dan

rubicon91

Explorer
Hi all,

I had an awesome time at EJS in Moab, it really is a Jeep addicts dream.
I'm in Michigan now, getting closer to the coast to ship the Jeep over the Atlantic.

Living in the Jeep for a few weeks has promoted me to make all kinds of minor tweaks and adjustments for living convenience.

Space has always been at a premium, so I made a cutlery/tool holder on my Trailgator Tailgate Table, so I can leave often-used items there when the table is closed.

africa-jk-trailgator-cutlery-board-720x480.jpg

Let me know if you would like me to write up a HOW-TO article so you can make your own.

-Dan

That is awesome Dan. I love seeing this get closer and closer. Cannot wait to see your adventure unfold.

MTSN

Explorer
I think you will be very pleased with the KO2s long term, and I think you were smart to avoid spacers for the sake of simplicity and durability. You look ready to ship out now!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I think you will be very pleased with the KO2s long term, and I think you were smart to avoid spacers for the sake of simplicity and durability. You look ready to ship out now!

All the big stuff is done, yes.
Now that I'm living in it, I keep finding little things to do :)

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Dan is there anyone in Africa who could store a couple of those KO2s for you as back ups? DHL would be able to get them to you quickly if they are already in Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles