Two-Wheel Drive Ford Ranger's New $595 Off-Road Pkg Is Touted as a “Hell of a Deal”

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Interesting write up

a car parked on pavement near a forest: The 2020 Ranger with the FX2 package is what you get when you take the four-wheel-drive, off-road-oriented Ranger FX4 kit and divide it by two. That's not tough math, but to help you along, it means the FX2 is two-wheel drive but shares its, uh, beefy FX (effects, get it?) with the 4x4 FX4.
Up until now, if you didn't option four-wheel drive in your Ford Ranger, you haven't been able to get your mid-size pickup with an off-roading package. Well, that changes today. Ford has introduced a new FX2 package for two-wheel drive Rangers, and it includes a whole bunch of trail-ready upgrades. The best part? It's only $595.

Research the Ford Ranger on MSN Autos
The FX2 package includes all of the same off-road goodies found in the FX4 pack. It's aimed at Ranger buyers who don't need four-wheel drive but still want to take their trucks off-road. You get an electronic locking rear differential, retuned suspension, underbody skid-plate protection, and all-terrain tires with 17-inch wheels as standard (18-inch wheels are optional). The package also includes Ford's off-road gauge cluster screen, which displays readouts for things like pitch, roll, and yaw

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I mean it has one less differential...
Yes, but 4WD is a seperate option. This gives you the same skid plates, locker, etc that you would get on the $1,295 option that is offered on the 4x4.

Quoted from the article:

'The same package for four-wheel drive Rangers is $1295. So you're getting the same exact upgrades for less than half the price if you go for the two-wheel drive truck versus the 4x4. Not a bad deal.'

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Toyota has offered a Prerunner TRD Tacoma. It's got the raised ride height of a 4WD but no front diff. It does have a rear locker, though. AFAIK they stopped offering it some time ago, though.

85_Ranger4x4

Agreed on the weird pricing thing. FX4 has an open front diff and the same gearing as any other truck so the stickers, shocks, Trail-Control and skidplates should cost the same.

85_Ranger4x4

It isn't on the truck builder site yet but FX4 does have skidplates for the front differential and transfer case that a 2wd truck probably wouldn't need. Kinda big parts, also combined with being 2wd takes a lot of the wind out of the "great deal" thing.

Serious off-roaders know what they need to get max fun out of every adventure. And it’s all in the FX4 Off-Road Package.

Package includes:
• Off-Road Tuned Suspension
• 17-inch or 18-inch Off-Road OWL Tires
• Electronic-locking Rear Differential (3.73)
• Exposed Front Tow Hooks
• Exposed Steel Bash Plate
• Off-Road Screen in Cluster – provides feedback on pitch and roll, plus steering angle
• Front Air Dam Delete
• Skid Plates – Fuel Tank, Transfer Case, and Front Differential
• Terrain Management System™
• Trail Control™
• 4x4 "FX4 Offroad" Bodyside Decal

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I guess one question is, just how much less money is this limited use 2WD Ranger compared to buying a similarly equipped 4WD model?

I mean, what are you really saving here? Isn’t it a simple decision to spend a bit more and get the full Monty?

I haven’t priced these out yet.....so I’m just being lazy asking you all if you know the $$$ dif?

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
No clue. Really, this whole package is pointless in Canada and not even sure why they ran the article in the news site I read since you can't get a 2WD Ranger in Canada.

MOguy

Explorer
Interesting write up

a car parked on pavement near a forest: The 2020 Ranger with the FX2 package is what you get when you take the four-wheel-drive, off-road-oriented Ranger FX4 kit and divide it by two. That's not tough math, but to help you along, it means the FX2 is two-wheel drive but shares its, uh, beefy FX (effects, get it?) with the 4x4 FX4.'s not tough math, but to help you along, it means the FX2 is two-wheel drive but shares its, uh, beefy FX (effects, get it?) with the 4x4 FX4.
Up until now, if you didn't option four-wheel drive in your Ford Ranger, you haven't been able to get your mid-size pickup with an off-roading package. Well, that changes today. Ford has introduced a new FX2 package for two-wheel drive Rangers, and it includes a whole bunch of trail-ready upgrades. The best part? It's only $595.

Research the Ford Ranger on MSN Autos
The FX2 package includes all of the same off-road goodies found in the FX4 pack. It's aimed at Ranger buyers who don't need four-wheel drive but still want to take their trucks off-road. You get an electronic locking rear differential, retuned suspension, underbody skid-plate protection, and all-terrain tires with 17-inch wheels as standard (18-inch wheels are optional). The package also includes Ford's off-road gauge cluster screen, which displays readouts for things like pitch, roll, and yaw

I would rather have 4wheel drive with my off-road package.

Who would want an off-road truck that isn't 4wheel drive?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
No clue. Really, this whole package is pointless in Canada and not even sure why they ran the article in the news site I read since you can't get a 2WD Ranger in Canada.

But then again....A lot of things we do in the states are pointless in Canada!

(Rock on B.C. We just had another great trip up to that incredibly wild and beautiful province, and the beer prices up there are finally getting more affordable too!)

MOguy

Explorer
But then again....A lot of things we do in the states are pointless in Canada!

(Rock on B.C. We just had another great trip up to that incredibly wild and beautiful province, and the beer prices up there are finally getting more affordable too!)

A 2wd off-road truck is pointless in any country. If used for off roading.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

I would rather have 4wheel drive with my off-road package.

Who would want an off-road truck that isn't 4wheel drive?

Desert racing, 2wd has less weight on the already heavy nose.

That said desert racers are likely to skip an offroad package since it will all get trashed for better stuff anyway.

hqdefault.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Those are race vehicles designed for a specific course and class. They drive on a course which they are designed for not off roading.

Pretty blurry between what is a course and what is a trail...

IMO it is a different genre of offroading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior