Two Weeks on The Butterfield Overland Mail Stagecoach Trail [Anza-Borrego, California to Guadalupe Mountains, Texas]

Bamps

Even tho the Butterfield overland stage only ran a few yrs, it made a lasting effect on history. This is a trip I would enjoy and indeed have made the route from ocotillo wells through warners rwnch/ aguaga etc. very well done videos!!

Wayaway

One of my favorite things was this complete pool table, literally in the middle of nowhere (no towns, residence, etc visible for miles):
xyseab0.jpg

I was out there a couple of times when the pool table was still around. The first time, it was intact.. the second time it was a heap of trash, and then the last time I was there it was gone completely. Too funny.

VA-CMac

One of the best overlanding video series on YouTube...very nicely put together, in some of my favorite places on the planet.

Heh, also just realized that Woody right now is me in about 25 years.

mass

Observer
Great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback, anything you'd like to see in more detail? I've got three or four more coming... finally at a break in studies and catching up on this.

One of the best overlanding video series on YouTube...very nicely put together, in some of my favorite places on the planet.

Heh, also just realized that Woody right now is me in about 25 years.

Thank you very much for the nice words. Are there any particular things you'd like to see more (or less) of?

Great trip report. I love your references to the history.

Thanks! I studied history in undergrad, and have maintained a lifelong passion for it; I am currently conducting research for the remaining sections of this series... will be sure to keep the history! :)

I think I will have my next video complete within the week; In the meantime, here is a Spotify playlist I curated for / on the trip, this is largely all I listened to ('offline mode').

Coming soon:
P3933008.00_05_54_20.Still003.jpg

Attachments

• P3933008.00_05_54_20.Still003.jpg
    P3933008.00_05_54_20.Still003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

mass

Observer
Day 9, Part 2 (Further exploration of Dragoon Springs, Fort Bowie / Apache Pass, Chiricahua National Monument, and the Coronado National Forest):

I've enjoyed editing my footage, and have only several days left to complete my through-drive of the Butterfield in Arizona (should complete the Arizona series within the next few monthsjeeponly.jpg).
The history is immense and my work has barely scratched the surface... I hope this gets you out and exploring the world! Thank you all for the feedback.

mass

Observer

Detour from the historical Butterfield, high into the Chiricahua Mountains in the Coronado National Forest. Aerial footage from inside the range.?

mass

Observer
In this chapter, I leave Arizona via the Doubtful Canyon Pass. Perhaps the deadliest portion along the entire Butterfield Trail. Focal point of Cochise's War.
Perhaps the first time the canyon has been viewed from the air.

v22.jpg

mass

Observer
I'm very proud to share with you one of my absolute favorite days of the trip, Day 11, where I experience Dog Canyon, boulder and do amateur archaeology at Hueco Tanks, and catch one of the most breathtaking reverse sunsets (where it paints Guadalupe Peak, Texas).

mass

Observer
My friends, I have very much enjoyed producing my 14-day journey along the Butterfield Overland Mail Route in 2018.
guadalup.jpg

Today, I have published the final installment of my 2018 Volume. I intend, one day, to trace the trail in its entirety, continuing this documentation style.

The Land Rover is doing great, and is my daily farm truck. I am also excited to share that I am producing a "Walkaround" vehicle of the truck, as many of you have asked for either on this platform, or on YouTube/Instagram.

I have also released an effective appendix to this episode, where I include a full-scale walkthrough experience of Carlsbad Caverns, set to the delightful music of Gustav Holst (2m preview in this episode)

P4099002.00_01_51_28.Still004.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles