Two way radio and smart phones.....

jerdog53

Explorer
I see that Alianza has created a "dock" or 'case' for iPhones, Android and Crackberrys that convert them into two way radios.

alianzahd

Features include:
Multi band capability VHF UHF and 800 Mhz
Field Programability
IP Interoperability
Encryption
Priority scan

Interesting to see your thoughts on this.

AaronK

Explorer
Interesting concept. It'll be interesting to see what price point they're at since a quality dual band handheld can be had for under $200..

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Looks similar to the http://www.beartooth.com/ radio and right now both are varporware.. Coming soon. The DBX looks like its going to be more for the commercial market and the beartooth more to the hobby market.. be surprised if either make it to market.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
yea i dont really see a use with all the cheap china radios out now. touch screen does not seem like a good idea for radios. be slow to transmit. always have to really look where you are touching since you would easy push another button unless they had a use mode that turned whole screen into transmit.

interesting idea though

But it's for an iPhone so it must be necessary and the masses will flock to it. Doesn't really matter if it works or is prohibitively expensive. Must follow the i-sheep :)

robgendreau

Explorer
I disagree about the need.

Most ham user radio interfaces, esp for handhelds, are crap. Of course lots of shack radios are run with computers already, and there's SDR sets too. It's just painful to enter a new repeater on a radio you haven't used before; feels like programming a VCR. And the cheap Baofeng's are a case in point. The underlying things you're doing, entering some text or number strings and settings, via a menu system, isn't conceptually difficult, it's made difficult by stupid interface.

I guess folks here haven't shopped for radios much lately, but Yaesu, Icom, and others all now have touchscreens; take a look at the FT2DR. Guess they're iSheep over there....

I dunno why they'd be slow to transmit. Are you referring to operating controls? Folks already use a variety of mobile devices to do stuff like data (APRS is a good example). This just seems to be like the already existent computer control that desktops have been using for a while, squashed into a handheld.

Still, it's two devices (sorta like one of the Delorme beacon thingees) with the phone being the frontend. I know a lot of business users that have to keep going from hand to hand between radio and phone, and this might actually work really well for them. We'll see.

Maybe it will work with the Earl....:wings:

uli2000

Adventurer
Interesting concept. It'll be interesting to see what price point they're at since a quality dual band handheld can be had for under $200..

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

The Alianza guys did a Kickstarter a year or so ago that didn't get funded. The early bird price at that time was $425. They also promised a ham version (minus 800mhz and P25) that would cost less, thought they didnt say a price. They have been saying coming soon for over two years now.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I find that the life cycle of my radios is much longer than that of my cell phones. I'd be cool with a radio that had bluetooth or some other interface to allow a phone to program it, but I wouldn't want the utility of my radio to be tied to the (short) useful life of a mobile phone.

It kinda reminds me of the folks that had cars that came with branded phones built in - that Mercedes flip phone might have been cool for the first year or two, but after that...

mpinco

Expedition Leader
^this

52556a6edbfa3f0d40000d5c._w.540_h.733_s.fit_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94