Two Plateaus and a Canyon; Northern AZ

AzTacoma

Adventurer
This is a quickie adventure report for the trip posted here. Andy and I reconned Paria Plateau (essentially the BLM-administered Vermilion Cliffs National Monument), the Kaibab Plateau, and that triangle piece of land that's crammed between both those plateaus and the Colorado River. The plan turned out to be a bit ambitious and therefore a good amount of seat time, but it was fun driving in very scenic areas.

The Paria Plateau is a completely uninhabited 275,000 acre region that averages about 6300'. It's a sandy, rolling terrain of mostly juniper and pinon pine interrupted by interesting sandstone hills. 4x4, and extra gas and water are required. We did not encounter one vehicle/person the whole time and you are very far from... anything. Of course the southern border are the Cliffs:
nr3_zps2dc3ee30.jpg

Up on the Plateau:
nr4_zpsf0636071.jpg

Unknown ranch. It had a great little "camping/cowboy" cabin.
nr8_zps79b3b309.jpg

nr9_zps9cf36166.jpg

Joes Ranch:
nr11_zpsda2bd7a2.jpg

Jarvis Ranch:
nr17_zps6a92ba94.jpg

We spent some time at White Pocket. It was really hard to narrow down to just a few pictures, but here are some:
nr44_zps88d13051.jpg

nr39_zps47a71b46.jpg

nr37_zpsadca72b4.jpg

There were other strange outcroppings around the plateau such as these:
nr10_zps53e1ac5a.jpg

...and these:
nr12_zps8c089497.jpg

There are several access points to the top of the cliffs. This is one such place:
nr14_zps331e6a62.jpg

nr16_zps6e6fe4d0.jpg

We eventually transitioned to the 7000-9000' elevations on the plateau next door with access to the north rim of the grandest canyon of them all. One of the goals was to reach observation points entirely outside the main national park area. Here us Sowat's Point:
nr20_zps5f81c563.jpg

Crazy Jug Point:
nr21_zps0c76b644.jpg

Fire Point:
nr24_zps1bb122aa.jpg

On the other side of the Kaibab was (among others) Saddle Mountain Point:
nr28_zps8c8fe2c5.jpg

South Canyon Point:
nr29_zps25201392.jpg

And of course some beautiful forest:
nr25_zpsd97d4f0f.jpg

nr27_zps9a129dc9.jpg

We finally dropped down to the House Rock Valley area (with the Kaibab in the background):
nr30_zpsa3881387.jpg

And found our way to a couple Marble Canyon overlooks:
nr32_zpse294ea6a.jpg

nr33_zps3870db1e.jpg

Here are all of the pics I uploaded (out of 175+).

I must say it was an excellent "plan b" trip in lieu of the Elk Mountains and I covered a bunch of new ground with a good partner and his buddy Jack. It was a great time and thanks for coming along Andy.

nr19_zpsead9fa0e.jpg

:smiley_drive:

AzTacoma

Adventurer
Sweet...be there next week. Looking forward to it.

Did u avoid the monsoons?

It looked threatening at times, but only had a few light sprinkles. Pretty great weather. The only storm we got caught in was on the way back home north of Flagstaff, and it was a doozy.

toddz69

Explorer
Beautiful pictures! Looks like a great place to explore. That's the cleanest remote cabin I've ever seen.

Todd Z.

cmj

Great pictures and thanks for sharing your trip! I would love to check out the area some day.

Expedition Leader
Nice trip and photos. The Kaibab Plateau has its own mini ecological niche; there are species of squirrels and turkeys there that are not found anywhere else.

photoman

Explorer
Thanks for sharing. Just added a few new locations to my Page area list. I've been on the Plateau several times but haven't gone out to the edge yet.

AzTacoma

Adventurer
Those cabins were surprisingly in good shape. Every cabin I've come across here is littered with garbage and bullet holes.

The unknown-named one was definitely top 3-5 I've come across, and although a bit smaller, it was was right up there with some of the "super-cabins" found in Death Valley and other such protected areas. There was a good size shed nearby with saddle racks, but I cannot imagine anyone dragging a horse trailer through those sketchy, sandy trails. Maybe people occasionally ride in from the outside? In any case, that cabin would make a good basecamp for exploring the plateau. I think there are very few campsites up there... a testament to how little traveled the place is. In the 90 or so miles we traveled up there I think we came across one primitive cleared spot with a fire ring.

Drove through there last month on our way back from Bryce and So. Utah(Awesome!) - we didn't have time to get off the highway this time. Thanks for the pictures! We will definitely plan more time next time through.

DRTYTOY

Observer
Had a great time Chris thanks for finding such cool places and for leading this small adventure. My SD card on my camera is giving me fits and is only giving me about a 1/3 of the pics I have but I will post some of them up when I get a chance. Its been a while since I've drove in sand deep enough to make the truck turn even though the wheels are straight, that was a lot of fun and the Kibab forrest is unbeleviablly green and lush, and the over looks were fantastic and the best part was the lack of other people. Plus I've never been yelled at from a pissed off indian with a pistol before. Exciting:Wow1:
- Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior