Two Person RTT, whats the best?

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Guys

Looking for a recommendation for a 2 person RTT. Its just me and the dog, so any personal feedback from users would be great.

Yetters

Grabow

Adventurer
Well, I've owned two different tents now, (both fiberglass clam shell designs)a Top Bunk from Colorado Camper Van and a James Baroud Discovery Extreme. I can say that without a doubt the James Baroud was the better of the two. I can't specifically speak of all of the tents out there, but I would be very surprised if any of them are of better construction or of a higher quality. Our Discovery Extreme is awesome, and has kept us dry as a bone in some serious rain. My only complaint is that the rams that open it are very strong and therefore harder to close than our previous tent, but Im sure that's what makes it stand up to strong winds and what makes it possible to put a spare tire on the top.

Box Rocket

Take a look at the Tepui tents. I am the forum rep for Tepui and I can help answer any questions you might have and take your order if you decide to go with one of our tents. There is lots of feedback on Tepui and other brand tents in the Roof Top Tent and Awning section of the forum.

I would personally recommend the Tepui Kukenam for your needs. If your dog is smaller, then the Tepui Ayer might work but the Kukenam would give you little extra room for you, your dog and some gear. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
I've got both the Kukenam and the Ayer. If your dog is collie or springer sized then the Ayer will work well. Otherwise go for the Kukenam. One night my wife slept in the Ayer with our 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter. It was a bit tight though.

I think that the Tepui tents are well constructed and have been very happy with mine.

Box Rocket

I agree that the Ayer would be a little tight. I have two tents that I use with my family. I have a Kukenam XL (4-person tent) that's on my trailer, and I've had a Kukenam Sky on my truck. My two older boys (14 and 12 years) will sleep with me in the XL, and my wife sleeps with our 6yr old twins in the Kukenam Sky on the truck. Even that is a little snug for my wife and our twins IMO. I know the Kukenam is advertised as a 3-person tent, but I think its an ideal size for two people. But I have done trips with my two older boys where the 3 of us slept in it and it was fine, just a little snug.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I'd strongly consider a model from Tepui. The quality is awesome and I've read nothing but great reviews about the customer service. I live about 25 minutes from them and I went there once to check out a tent as I am considering one my self. Evan (I think that was his name) was really awesome and my buddy ended up getting a Kukinam camo shortly after. The quality is great and he's been really happy with it. Keep in mind if you buy an Autana model it has a covered entrance and it comes with a removable annex. The cool part about the annex is you can have friends or the dog sleep down there, not to mention you can leave your boots and shoes down there and its all weather tight.

Another option is CVT in Bend Oregon. They seem to have similar quality and pricing from what I can tell. The cool thing about them is they have a 2 person Ayer size tent but its got a covered entrance and the similar annex design as the larger Tepui Autana. Also, the Ayer is a bit short then the CVT Cayley in length which isn't a big deal but having room to stretch out or maybe keep something on the end of the tent with out kicking it might be nice. I've been heavily researching tents and those would be my two go to brands.Just my two cents.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Another option is CVT in Bend Oregon. They seem to have similar quality and pricing from what I can tell. The cool thing about them is they have a 2 person Ayer size tent but its got a covered entrance and the similar annex design as the larger Tepui Autana. Also, the Ayer is a bit short then the CVT Cayley in length which isn't a big deal but having room to stretch out or maybe keep something on the end of the tent with out kicking it might be nice. I've been heavily researching tents and those would be my two go to brands.Just my two cents.

CVT_Mt_Bailey_open_zps881aa586.jpg

1275138_10152741005314851_7070265318595925664_o_zpsbc22a185.jpg

FYI, I have the Mt. Bailey from CVT and have been happy with it so far. We only recently got it and have had about seven nights in it. Quality does seem to be on par with Tepui from what I've seen (they look nearly identical). You can read my thoughts here:

http://www.subcompactculture.com/2014/08/review-cascadia-vehicle-tents-mt-bailey.html

- Andy

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Honestly, I believe more or less they all come from the same factories. If you look at any of the top brands like Gordigear, Tepui, ARB, CVT and so on, they're all carbon copies of each other. The roof vents, ladders and dimensions are all the same. Hell, most of them are almost all the same weight too. I notice they all use their own "signature" colors and typically the rain flies vary from brand to brand. With that being said I always double check the materials being used. Mainly the fabric of the tent its self and the type of zipper being used. Sometimes if you get a good picture of the center hinge design and the corners of the floor you can pretty much get an idea of overall quality from the few details available online. Then you get variations like the Front Runner Featherlite, nice tent but I don't think its worth 950 bucks IMHO. I just came across Smittybilt's new RTT. I found it online for 740 bucks and its a "sky" model like the Tepui with similar dimensions. Seems cool and its a lot cheaper but I'd be hesitant to buy it knowing its Smittybilt. They probably skimped on the zipper quality and the sleeping pad for sure. Not to mention the materials are probably fine but after a few seasons of dust and sun I bet it would be ragged. There is no mention of an annex available either, which is a deal breaker for me. If anyone has high quality photos of one I'd be interested in checking it out.

The CVT definitely looks like a really nice tent for sure, I like the colors too. I'm really digging the Cayley but after I add on the annex for 210 I'd might as well buy the Autana from Tepui, which is 1450 and comes with the annex. But I like the size of the CVT better, saves a little space and weight on my Jeep. Decisions decisions...

Box Rocket

Anyone can see the similarities between the brands but there are definitely differences when you can compare them side by side. The biggest thing I notice is the quality control. That is one of the biggest reasons I chose to sell Tepui tents. The quality of materials and the attention to seams and stitching etc are just better from my experience.
If you do consider one of the Tepui tents I can get you a good price.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
Do you know if Tepui is releasing any new tents in the near future? When I first went and looked years ago I told Evan the Ayer in tan would be awesome or a camo version would be irresistible. Perhaps I should go look again and mention a mini Autana would be sweet, then come back in 6 months and buy it!

More or less what type of discount would I be looking at? Also, would I have to order through you or just drive to Santa Cruz and handle it there?

Thanks

drsmonkey

Observer
The dog, wife, and I just got back from a week long trip in a Kukenman sky. Plenty of room for the three of us. The tent is mounted on my trailer at about 5.5ft high. The one thing you want to consider, depending on the size of your dog, is how you are going to get the dog into the tent.

We tried a few things, and for a while i was designing folding ramps in my head. I carried him in and out the first night. At 75lbs neither the dog or I enjoyed that.

Then I tried putting a cooler in front of the fender on the "back" door. No dice, too much vertical without enough horizontal space, funny thing is earlier that day he had cleared a 5ft+ spillover in a canyon with only a little space for a running start with no problem. But he would not take a leap into the tent, mainly because the cooler and fender were too slick for his liking.

Finally figured something out that worked. I pull the truck in perpendicular to the direction of the tent so that the long side of the open tailgate is pointing at one of the doors. Buddy jumps onto the tailgate, gets a couple of steps for forward momentum, the launches into the tent, then reverses on the way out. When he finally was able to get himself in and out of the tent he was so proud of himself, spinning circles and wagging.

Another bonus to the RTT is that once he is in, he is happy to stay in all night. When we are in a ground tent he wants to go in and out all night long, waking us up and tracking in sand.

BTW, all three of us love the tent, huge upgrade for us.

Septu

Explorer
Take a look at the Tepui tents. I am the forum rep for Tepui and I can help answer any questions you might have and take your order if you decide to go with one of our tents. There is lots of feedback on Tepui and other brand tents in the Roof Top Tent and Awning section of the forum.

I would personally recommend the Tepui Kukenam for your needs. If your dog is smaller, then the Tepui Ayer might work but the Kukenam would give you little extra room for you, your dog and some gear. Let me know if I can be of any help.

I had one of these (it came with my trailer purchase). Not a bad little tent. It wasn't my first choice, and I ended up replacing it with a James Baroud. But for the price, it was a very good tent, and I had zero concerns about the quality of it - just do something about the mattress. My only question is how do you plan on getting your dog into the tent?

Guys

Looking for a recommendation for a 2 person RTT. Its just me and the dog, so any personal feedback from users would be great.

Yetters

Hello
I am representing James Baroud Tents. Are you looking for a Hard Shell or Soft Shell Tent? We have many options for you to chose from. If you would like you may email me at craigd@jamesbaroudusa.com or you may pm me here, and i will answer any further questions or concerns you may have.

Thank You
Craig Davidson
Operations Manager
James Baroud USA

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Hello
I am representing James Baroud Tents. Are you looking for a Hard Shell or Soft Shell Tent? We have many options for you to chose from. If you would like you may email me at craigd@jamesbaroudusa.com or you may pm me here, and i will answer any further questions or concerns you may have.

Thank You
Craig Davidson
Operations Manager
James Baroud USA

May be off topic but I've always been curious.... Are you your own entity, or do you work for OK4wd as the official USA distributor... I love your tents, my wallet doesn't :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier