Twisted Pair Wire?

jcbrandon

Explorer
Tress said:
Yes the application is for a Xantrex Link 10 Batt monitor, the manual states the monitor requires twisted pair wire for the install but the wire they sell only comes in 25 ft lengths and has 4 pairs in it. The monitor can use all 8 wires but i only require 5 of those 8, plus i only need around 10 feet alltogether so it seemed like a waste to go and buy the one they sell

I've probably got some leftover Cat 6 from my home network project earlier this year. If that will work for you, drop me a private message. I'd be happy to trade it to you for a small contribution to the Disabled Explorers fundraiser :)

Tress

Adventurer
Hmm i would be more than happy to do the barter deal, but sorry i dont know what cat 6 is?, i assume its a 3 pair twisted style cable but im not sure, i mean as long as it has 5 wires in it and its twisted im sure it will work...

:victory:

Tress

Adventurer
Well ill have to call Xantrex but by the sounds of there install manual i need 16 or 18 awg twisted pair, and from the Wikipedia desciption it sounds like cat6 is only 22 or 24 awg. Again ill have to daouble hceck with Xantrex but it sounds like i might need something heavier....

:1888fbbd:

Tress

Adventurer
Here is the link for the install manual, perhaps someone else can tell me what #16 or #18 is, i assume its the awg size but im learning to never assume anything.....
THanks

micklongley

Observer
Double check on the gauge of wire but if you only need 8 feet then just buy an 8ft Category 6 (CAT-6) patch cord locally, cut the RJ-45 (computer plug) ends off and use the blue and orange pairs. I also have a ton of this stuff if you need it but shipping might cost more than the $10 at the local store. You could always find a garbage bin at a construction site as well...

Mick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles