Tvan. By Track Trailer

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Rezarf <>< said:
I have been in Oz and seen them up close, they are SHA-WEET! But for 25K, there are a lot of other cool things I would hunt down first.

Another killer camper trailer is the Ultimate Trailer... equally as nice. For the US market, there isn't a better trailer than the Adventure Trailer IMHO.

Drew

Drew
Remind me to put you on a retainer :)
Those are some very generous words, thank you.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The other real world issue, even assuming you can legally get one of these on the streets of USA...which doesn't seem likely based on the actual experiences of Mario and Martyn...what are you going to do when (not "if" but "when") you need assistance with a replacement (warranty or not) part or such? I can only imagine what kind of hassle you'd have in this scenario with a trailer that was sourced half way around the world and there isn't an importer stateside to assist.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
And I second what RESARF stated...not only do the AT guys make an extremely well crafted trailer, that has been refined from their and others actual off-road use, but it is very competitively priced given it's design, construction and performance features...but also they provide fast response to any issues that may arise. I needed a larger gasket/weatherstripping to better seal the top lid of my Horizon...Martyn hand delivered this to me at no charge within a week of my call....problem solved.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
If you are determined to import something unique, but are put off by the regulations regarding importing trailers into the US, here is a possible compromise:
instead of importing a trailer, import a tray top camper and put it on a trailer built in the US:
19.jpg

this is a trailer made by Innovan for their tray top camper (seen in the background) I am sure you could find someone in the US to build a similar trailer, or perhaps adapt an existing offroad trailer design?
Here is another tray top camper that would work (highrise):
gal14.jpg

Tray top version
gal19.jpg

Trailer version

One advantage that both these designs have over the Tvan is that there is no canvas.

A side benefit of this approach is that when at home you can remove the camper and have a useful utility/bike/atv trailer

What do you think?

Cheers
Mark

jerdog53

Explorer
elcoyote said:
DEAD WRONG! It will be stated on the bill of lading that it is a trailer in the container. Customs will run the VIN. The VIN is encoded to identify the MFG, which factory it is built in, the unique # of the trailer, how long it is, how many axles it has, when it was built plus a check digit which is an algorithm of all the other numbers in the VIN to verify its legitimacy. If the VIN is not US Compliant, it doesn't get out of Customs until it goes through a Registered Importer (of vehicles) who will render it compliant and there are only a handful of them. The compliance process is expensive...it's not the parts that get you, it's the protocol. Take it from one who has gone through the process and does it for a living. You don't want to give yourself an expensive headache.

When I did the correspondance with Craig Hewitson at Track Trailer in Jan of this year he never indicated that these trailers are not DOT compliant or that it would be difficult to import one to the US. He did tell me that there was one unit he helped export to Canada and several units that went to Europe and he never indicated it couldn't be done they just havn't done it due to cost.

jerdog53

Explorer
OutbacKamper said:
If you are determined to import something unique, but are put off by the regulations regarding importing trailers into the US, here is a possible compromise:
instead of importing a trailer, import a tray top camper and put it on a trailer built in the US:
19.jpg

this is a trailer made by Innovan for their tray top camper (seen in the background) I am sure you could find someone in the US to build a similar trailer, or perhaps adapt an existing offroad trailer design?
Here is another tray top camper that would work (highrise):
gal14.jpg

Tray top version
gal19.jpg

Trailer version

One advantage that both these designs have over the Tvan is that there is no canvas.

A side benefit of this approach is that when at home you can remove the camper and have a useful utility/bike/atv trailer

What do you think?

Cheers
Mark

I did look at those and don't remember as to why I dismissed them but I think it was again due to weight behind my LJ.

Somerthing else I did look at was this one http://trayon.com/main.php?page=photogallery&id=7

Last edited:

jerdog53

Explorer
spressomon said:
And I second what RESARF stated...not only do the AT guys make an extremely well crafted trailer, that has been refined from their and others actual off-road use, but it is very competitively priced given it's design, construction and performance features...but also they provide fast response to any issues that may arise. I needed a larger gasket/weatherstripping to better seal the top lid of my Horizon...Martyn hand delivered this to me at no charge within a week of my call....problem solved.

The AT trailer is a nice unit, with a tent on top and I want more than that.

Martyn

jerdog53 said:
The AT trailer is a nice unit, with a tent on top and I want more than that.

We are always sketching designs out on napkins, and thinking new ideas.

What are you actually looking for that's more than a trailer with a tent on top? Who knows you could be the catalyst that sparks a whole new trailer design.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Martyn said:
Drew
Remind me to put you on a retainer :)
Those are some very generous words, thank you.

Martyn-

I am building my own (largly to budget restraints) but that sure doesn't mean you don't give mad props when you see folks doing it right! Keep it up, I hope AT redefines recreational camping in the US... it would go a long way if more folks got interested in keeping/gaining access into our backcountry.

Keep up the good work fellas! :bowdown:

Rezarf <><

jerdog53

Explorer
Martyn said:
We are always sketching designs out on napkins, and thinking new ideas.

What are you actually looking for that's more than a trailer with a tent on top? Who knows you could be the catalyst that sparks a whole new trailer design.

Well, traditional American styled pop tent trailers have been done to death. Every one is like the other and are all geared toward road travel more so than rough off road as we all know. There a few rough terrain models out there but to be pulled behind a Jeep they are a bit too wide and heavy. Personally my wife and I are getting old enough that we don't want to be sleeping in a tent on the ground or otherwise, want to be able to stand to dress and or get out of the weather. Would like to see more of a bed than just a piece of foam, I would prefer hard side and top over the sleeping area rather than canvas and I do like the pull out kitchen design seen on many OZ trailers. Off road designed suspension with good ground clearance and articulation I think goes with out saying. I don't feel that heat is not necessary that is what sleeping bags are for and the kitchen area should be outside like a pull out unit to keep the overall size of the trailer as small as possible. Use aluminum and composites to keep the weight down. Provisions for storage of food stuffs, personal items, propane, water and extra fuel(Jerry cans) along with a spare tire.

Why not set up a contract with Track Trailer to import all the piece parts and you guys assemble and distribute the Tvan in the US rather than coming up with your own design, do all the research and engineering and then the manufacturing costs on top of that. I would think TT would be eager to have a reputable manufacturer such as AT in the US put their product to the US market. That trailer wouldn’t be in direct competition with either of your current trailer models it would be merely the next logical step up.

Have I talked long enough?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
All good suggestions. I agree that something the next step up in size and features would nicley compliment the AT trailer line. All the previous ideas sound good, I just wanted to add my support for the pull out external kitchen. I have one on my KK and it was one of the primary reasons I like the trailer (after off road suspension and capability of course). :arabia:

AT has done an outstanding job designing and supporting their current off road trailer line. I would expect significant interest from the US in a trailer that is "the next step up" if AT decides to either build their own or put their name behind and support an already proven product.:wings:

Martyn

jerdog53 said:
Why not set up a contract with Track Trailer to import all the piece parts and you guys assemble and distribute the Tvan in the US rather than coming up with your own design, do all the research and engineering and then the manufacturing costs on top of that. I would think TT would be eager to have a reputable manufacturer such as AT in the US put their product to the US market. That trailer wouldn’t be in direct competition with either of your current trailer models it would be merely the next logical step up.

Have I talked long enough?

Importing product is not as easy thing to do as it seems, we have done that before and been very unhappy with:

Pricing; the USD is extremely devalued right now as many of you have realized when converting prices from AU$ to USD to product is very expensive

Delivery Times; we have no control over when product will be available, for those of you who have done business with Australian companies most of them are just not interested in increasing productivity to export their product. ARB would be the exception to the rule.

Quality control; We have no control over QC and help is half the globe away. After pre paying for product we could be left with a large head ache.

Cash Flow; We would have to pay up front 50% on ordering 50% on shipping, buy a container load, pay for shipping, import duty and tax, and that's before we have sold a single unit.

It's just a very bad business plan in my opinion.

On the other hand I work with a very capable and innovative business partner. He has never failed to start out with a basic concept and improve upon it to the point at which it's so superior any comparison to the original idea has disappeared. I'll stick with the "Made in the USA" plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke