turning a 99 XJ Cherokee into an Arctic Explorer?

bldeagle10

Explorer
hey all. i own a 99 XJ and im really into the idea of overlanding and exploring the world really. i was wondering what steps someone would have to take in turning a cherokee into an arctic exploration vehicle.

mainly what im not to sure about is the mechanical issue at the arctics extremely low temps. what modifications would i have to do to the 4.0?
would it be best to swap it for something else?

basically my idea of what id need lists out as,

33" tires w/ bead locks
4"lift
winch
roof rack
loads of jerry cans
maybe an m416 or m101 trailer with RTT
and obviously the most common overlanding gear. i think it would be a good idea as well to go over the rig and make sure its all sealed up as best as i can. and if i really want to be safe a set of american track truck tracks. then if i get stuck i know im REALLY stuck :).

ive searched around for a bit and cant find much on building an arctic exploration vehicle and all the mechanics that go into it. any advice?
the initial goal is to make it to the north pole. then be able to go back to normal dirt trails till i have saved up enough to head to the south pole

They didn't go into the mechanical changes to the hilux but you might get some ideas from top gear uk. Check it out online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waytec

Adventurer
Dude really I would lake to the Canadians and Alaskans. I am in Red Deer Alberta and we just came out of a -30 to -40 cold snap. Calgary got the award one day for the coldest place on the earth. My 1990 MJ 4.0L with over 400 000Km started every day without a block heater, and after warming up ran down the roads with no issues. It did not like me but it ran without issues.

I really suggest singing up on www.na4wda.org, (Northern Alberta 4 wheel Drive Association) really good bunch. lots tread thru this sight as well. Canadian Moose is a member as well. (sorry Kyle had to let it out of the bag)

What time of the year are you planning on coming. Big deference in the gear and mechanical prep needed for summer to winter.
:safari-rig:

bldeagle10

Explorer
They didn't go into the mechanical changes to the hilux but you might get some ideas from top gear uk. Check it out online.
yea the idea really appealed to me after watching their arctic episode with the hilux.

Dude really I would lake to the Canadians and Alaskans. I am in Red Deer Alberta and we just came out of a -30 to -40 cold snap. Calgary got the award one day for the coldest place on the earth. My 1990 MJ 4.0L with over 400 000Km started every day without a block heater, and after warming up ran down the roads with no issues. It did not like me but it ran without issues.

I really suggest singing up on www.na4wda.org, (Northern Alberta 4 wheel Drive Association) really good bunch. lots tread thru this sight as well. Canadian Moose is a member as well. (sorry Kyle had to let it out of the bag)

What time of the year are you planning on coming. Big deference in the gear and mechanical prep needed for summer to winter.
:safari-rig:

yea i just read Canadian Moose's build thread im a fan of his xj :)
i will deffinately give that site a good look through, i figured the smartest thing would be in the winter or just before spring. wouldnt want to get caught up with the ice is melting.

i think i need to sit down and map out an ideal route. look at other peoples routes. maybe heading up north through alaska.

also, my xj is about to spend its first winter in the snow! i live in phoenix so it doesnt get to cold here but im heading to college up north. i remember taking it up to flagstaff and im not sure if it was the elevation change or the cold but it ran pretty rough.

jeffy

Observer
So the plan isn't really to go to the North Pole then. :coffee:

For the amount of money it would cost to set up a Jeep, you'd be better off just renting one. There are several outfits that do that sort of thing.

http://www.icelandrovers.is/
http://www.mntxi.com/WELCOME_to_Mountain_Taxi.html

These are the guy's who build the two HiLux's and a Land Cruiser for the BBC Top Gear Arctic Special. http://www.arctictrucks.com/. This is the basic package: http://www.arctictrucks.com/pages/4700

Do a search on 'Iceland + 4x4' and you'll come up with a bunch of pictures and builds.

21982890015_large.jpg

Frank

Explorer
I personally live where it can get super cold (low teens, single digits) for weeks on end. I switched to 10w30 rotella oil, and of course a good mixture of antifreeze/distilled water in my radiator (75:25). If/when I find 5w30 rotella oil, ill buy it and drain my oil with a quickness and run it until Aprilish time frame. bobistheoilguy.com taught me about oil/all things petrolium. I will probably never put anything but rotella in my jeep after reading through the forums there. I also would go through the entire engine bay and change all fluids to the best you can research/whats right for YOU, and do the best tune up you can do. I have yet to find anyone who talks trash about the 4.0 engine.

As for outfitting the jeep, cant really speak on that as I dont have the experience of the adventure you are planning. If it were me, I would install a fridge vice carry/chage ice in a cooler. I would probably look into a 3.5" lift as general concessus says thats the best lift for the typical off roader/off the beathen path type person. Tires, I am running BFG AT this winter, and I plan to see a lot of snow with these tires. I would modify my Jeep for a dual battery system, one for acc, one for the electric system and install the best alt money could buy. I would buy lights, the best I could afford. I would install a great CB system at minimum, 2M HAM if you can get into it. Camping gear, well...thats on you. To each their own. Who knows, maybe you are one to motel hop, IDK. Recovery gear, personnal gear, first aid, lights, tool kit...the list goes on...

Waytec

Adventurer
I agree with Frank and don't forget the clutch fluid if you have one.
Mechanical

all oils and fluids arctic weather ready. If you have access to a power out let a block heater is a good thing.

The XJ is a good around rig as it stands. for lifts keep it low, the size of the tier determines your ground clearance(unless you are running portals) Cut the sheet metal to allow clearance.

A good set of tier changes, and practice putting them on, -30C and crappie weather is not the time to be figuring that out.

A snorkel (curse my Heep) the XJ intake is in a horrible location and easily sucks water in.

Gear

I would not go with a RTT up here there is nothing small that is going to climb into the tent with you and hurt or kill you they are big and the further north you go the bigger they get and you being 6 feet of the ground is not going to discourage them. Please don't bother with the Bear fences waste of money. I have seen Grizzly's walk right thru a predator fence that the ranchers use that plug into 220. Bear proofing is a matter of being prepared. and don't think because its winter they will be hibernating, with the warm weather swings we have thy get up in the winter I recommend a good 4 season tent, if it goes to Everest that is a good test. I personally have a Marmot Thor P3 and love it.

get the best sleeping bag that you are comfortable in.

A cook stove that can handle the cold.

For clothing I personally like Arctic Work wear. The materials take a beating and keep you warm. I personally love Carhartt.

Research and testing is going to be your friend hear. research everything you are going to take with you. and test it if you can. in the winter the number one thing is you have to be comfortable. If not you are not going to have a good time.

bldeagle10

Explorer
So the plan isn't really to go to the North Pole then. :coffee:

For the amount of money it would cost to set up a Jeep, you'd be better off just renting one. There are several outfits that do that sort of thing.
the plan is a north pole expedition. i wouldnt want to rent one. i think the main goal, its kind of a pride thing i would guess. i want to know i can build my jeep to handle the harshest situations i can reasonably throw at it.
i will take a look at the links, thank you for those
I personally live where it can get super cold (low teens, single digits) for weeks on end. I switched to 10w30 rotella oil, and of course a good mixture of antifreeze/distilled water in my radiator (75:25). If/when I find 5w30 rotella oil, ill buy it and drain my oil with a quickness and run it until Aprilish time frame. bobistheoilguy.com taught me about oil/all things petrolium. I will probably never put anything but rotella in my jeep after reading through the forums there. I also would go through the entire engine bay and change all fluids to the best you can research/whats right for YOU, and do the best tune up you can do. I have yet to find anyone who talks trash about the 4.0 engine.

As for outfitting the jeep, cant really speak on that as I dont have the experience of the adventure you are planning. If it were me, I would install a fridge vice carry/chage ice in a cooler. I would probably look into a 3.5" lift as general concessus says thats the best lift for the typical off roader/off the beathen path type person. Tires, I am running BFG AT this winter, and I plan to see a lot of snow with these tires. I would modify my Jeep for a dual battery system, one for acc, one for the electric system and install the best alt money could buy. I would buy lights, the best I could afford. I would install a great CB system at minimum, 2M HAM if you can get into it. Camping gear, well...thats on you. To each their own. Who knows, maybe you are one to motel hop, IDK. Recovery gear, personnal gear, first aid, lights, tool kit...the list goes on...
thanks, i need to sit down and make a gear list...an actual list lol. no more browsing ARB and quadratech catalogs and saying oh that would be nice. i need to sit down and think about what i would actually use. and what i could potentially end up using, what spare parts i would need, drive shafts etc...

Research and testing is going to be your friend hear. research everything you are going to take with you. and test it if you can. in the winter the number one thing is you have to be comfortable. If not you are not going to have a good time.

testing wise im going to have to spend a few winters up in the white mountains here in arizona. they get the worst weather to my knowledge. and it gives me an excuse to get out ice fishing!

thank you all for the advice again. this project will take time. im still in college so i have a few years. build up, testing periods etc will take alot of time. as soon as i can ill post up a build thread

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
The photo that jeffy posted says it all. Big tires, big big big. Think of your tires as snow shoes versus high heels, the big foot print of the snow shoe will keep you on top where the pointy heel of the stilettos will send you crotch deep faster than a brick sinking in a swimming pool.

College Kid

Adventurer
I made the trip with a friend last year in a JK. Definatly do your research on the route you plan to take. There is very little up there, and when your in trouble you need to have an bug out plan. Fuel is definatly a must for any trip like this, running highways with bad fuel economy is one thing; it's amazing how much fuel you can burn from trying to get out of a snow bank.

here is a link to a blog we kept during the trip. Trips like this are all about personal discovery.

http://intothearctic.blogspot.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles