Tunisia search for the Lost Patrol

Tembo

topless adventures
Just back from Tunisia. Popski's Private Expeditions took four open-top Land Rovers to southern Tunisia to search for the remains of seven WWII special forces trucks from the LRDG and Popski's Private Army. The trucks had been abandoned in the dunes of the Grand Erg Orientale and as far as our research could conclude, no one had ever gone in search of them. The expedition went really well and we found Tunisia to be both safe and welcoming. Customs on arrival with the trucks was one of the smoothest I have ever experienced. Lots more English speakers than I would have guessed. We spent two weeks in Tunisia, which included the road move from Tunis to Douz, our jumping off point for the desert, and eight days in the sand seas. We were supported on this first trip by SaharanSky expeditions, who provided support but gave us our space and only came in when called. They proved quite valuable. We had a good crew on the expedition including a good number of military vets, a paramedic, search and rescue pilot, historian and Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society and even a classic race car driver. Anyway, an excellent trip and I would highly recommend Tunisia as a great overland destination.
Grand Erg sm.jpg

Mykh

Outdoor Party Animal
That's so cool! Please do share stories from the trip and photos. Love the idea, and how you all traveled. Serious Rat Patrol vibes going on!

Foy

Explorer
That's so cool! Please do share stories from the trip and photos. Love the idea, and how you all traveled. Serious Rat Patrol vibes going on!
You'd probably much enjoy reading up on the English Special Operations groups known as the Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) and Popski's Private Army (PPA). Unfortunately (or fortunately) for we Americans, the real-world history of LRDG and PPA operations shines a bright light on how badly "The Rat Patrol" ganked what the Brits accomplished in North Africa in the early 1940s, and even before the war in the cases of the group of officers which became the LRDG's cadre in 1940.
For some historical perspective and absolutely fascinating treatment of the privately funded Libyan desert explorations in the 1920s and 1930s, which blended into the formation and operational history of the LRDG, I recommend two books--- "The Lost Oasis: The Desert War and the Hunt for Zerzura", by Saul Kelly., and "Long Range Desert Group", by William Kennedy Shaw. Kennedy Shaw served as chief of intelligence and wrote the official history of the LRDG's North Africa operations.
As Popski's Private Army and David Stirling's Special Air Service (SAS) were being developed as behind the lines raiders, the LRDG frequently provided the long range logistical support up to and including "taxi service" while the others' own transport was being established and deployed. Spoiler alert: The lion's share of the tens of thousands of miles of recon and raiding missions executed by the LRDG were in two-wheel drive Chevy pickup trucks, not Jeeps, which only became available in the latter part of the LRDG's operational history.
It's great to learn of Popski's Private Expeditions and I look forward to seeing more about their explorations in Tunisia.

Foy

shade

I'd never heard of him, but I'll pick up his book. Thanks for the recommendation.

This is enough about PPA to make the guy interesting:

"When the Second World War broke out, the 42-year-old Peniakoff applied to serve in the Royal Air Force, and the Royal Navy, but was rejected. He was accepted by the British Army, and assigned to garrison duties as an Arabic-speaking junior officer in the Libyan Arab Force (LAF). Not satisfied, Popski left his post and formed the Libyan Arab Force Commando (LAFC), a small group of British and Libyan soldiers who operated behind the lines in the Jebel Akhdar area of Cyrenaica."

"Screw you guys, I've got a better idea." - lol

Last edited:

Tembo

topless adventures
Well, we have just confirmed that some of the pieces we discovered on the expedition did belong to the LRDG. This was a piece of a bonnet we found near Qaret Ali. The locals had dragged it to a nearby well to probably bake on. IT is the right side bonnet (hood) piece from a 1941 Chev truck as used by the LRDG. We found more artefacts and are studying those now.
Bonnet piece.JPG1940s Chev.jpg

Foy

Explorer
Incredible! Great work and congratulations.
Is my recollection that Kennedy-Shaw included a couple of pages (or more?) about the Lost Patrol in his LRDG book? But the passage doesn't include specific mention of PPA due to wartime censorship?
I also don't recall reading of Popski's "ride along" on the Barce Raid.
It's really great to see these developments.

Foy

Tembo

topless adventures
Incredible! Great work and congratulations.
Is my recollection that Kennedy-Shaw included a couple of pages (or more?) about the Lost Patrol in his LRDG book? But the passage doesn't include specific mention of PPA due to wartime censorship?
I also don't recall reading of Popski's "ride along" on the Barce Raid.
It's really great to see these developments.

Foy

If you read most of the credible LRDG accounts, the patrol does get mentioned, but usually only a line or two as it was overshadowed by Nick Wilders discovery of Wilders' Gap, which allowed Monty to outflank the Mareth Line. Popski was on the Barce raid but is often left out of the LRDG accounts or only referred to as 'an intelligence operative.' But the PPA went on to achieve great things. Some of their exploits read more like a bad WWII movie than reality. Truly amazing stuff.

A pic of an LRDG Chev in the desert with some of the slats removed for cooling.
View attachment 553677
Wow that is cool. Watch out for old mines and other things that can go boom. Thanks for posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior