TundraBirds Go! Picture Thread for Tundras and T-100s

dyogim

Explorer
Here is another picture of my first gen and my ( work in progress) off road camper. I had just swapped out the trailer axle for a lighter one and put taco 16in trd wheels and 33in tires.

Alabama Overland

Now to add the same size tires to the truck. That camper looks like it fits perfectly on that trailer!

rhineholio

Back in June of 2015 when I got it. 130k, TRD super charger, Trd dual exhaust, Ready lift leveling kit (3.5" I think) on top of Billstein 5100s, 285/70/18 BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2s, Fuel wheels, Road Armor bumper with pre runner hoop, filled with PIAA lights, Warn XD9000 winch, Leer XR100 topper w/ THULE roof rack.

Close to the top of Baldy mountain in Breckenridge CO. This was after I blew out a shock due to the leveing kit and gunning it up a hill. This is with the OME 614s I believe, along with SPC/Light racking upper control arms, and Coachbuilder shackles.

[/UR
In Nevada with my cousin overlooking Lake Tahoe. Before I drove out to California from Colorado I put Budbuilt rock sliders and complete 3/16" skid plates under neath. I didn't have to use either because my cousin wouldn't let me.

[URL=http://s437.photobucket.com/user/4xjoyof69/media/IMG_1575.jpg.html]

My cousin and I heading down from Saddleback lookout to Poker flats

This was the first setup. The front right of my truck sits up higher and I didn't feel that having all the weight on the drivers side so I had to switch it around.

This is a bad picture of what it looks like now. I have been living out of it since probably October so it is a bit messy and unfinished.

Last edited:

blackwood

Adventurer
I have been living out of it since probably October so it is a bit messy and unfinished.

I have a similar setup in the back with the insulation and bed :ylsmoke: I've lived in the back of there for 1 month straight while traveling. I'm about to do another 1 month stint, leaving in 1 week. I have a higher roof shell and a 8ft long bed so living back there is way more comfortable. It did spring a leak where it wasn't bolted to the bed too well while I was up in Grand Mesa national forest in Oct. The shell had only been installed months earlier.

This is how it looked when we took it on a recent Yosemite trip.
yo.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Damn.. you guys almost make me want to get another camper shell. :REOutCampFire03:

rhineholio

I have a similar setup in the back with the insulation and bed :ylsmoke: I've lived in the back of there for 1 month straight while traveling. I'm about to do another 1 month stint, leaving in 1 week. I have a higher roof shell and a 8ft long bed so living back there is way more comfortable. It did spring a leak where it wasn't bolted to the bed too well while I was up in Grand Mesa national forest in Oct. The shell had only been installed months earlier.

I have some photos and video of my travels in the thing here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ling-in-a-Tundra-Truck-West-amp-Southwest-USA

This is how it looked when we took it on a recent Yosemite trip.
View attachment 327950

You have a double cab with an 8' bed? what year is your truck? Mines only got the 6.5'. the piece on the left slides out and will hold 2 bikes, soon hopefully. Under the bed there will be a full length drawer and the bed will flip up so it can be accessed as a chest.
I have blue board in one of my windows and need to get a second piece for the other window but the -14 degree temps have been over for a while so hopefully ill be good on that haha

Davidw

Observer
Well after several years I was finally able to find one I couldn't resist. 2005 Double cab Limited 4wd. Moonroof, leather and power back glass. So far I'm loving it. Planning on building it into a mild to moderate trail/overlanding rig to take the place of our 100 series. The 100 just doesn't have the room for a family to camp out of. Plans will be a camper shell with an internal cage like @photoman so the RTT can mount to it and a drawer system/sleeping platform. Rear passenger side seat will be removed to fit the ARB fridge.

2016-01-30 21.09.18.jpg

blackwood

Adventurer
Damn.. you guys almost make me want to get another camper shell. :REOutCampFire03:

I always wanted one of these camper shell builds ever since I was a kid and rode in a few of those old school carpeted setups. The back of my truck is my happy place :sombrero:

You have a double cab with an 8' bed? what year is your truck? Mines only got the 6.5'. the piece on the left slides out and will hold 2 bikes, soon hopefully. Under the bed there will be a full length drawer and the bed will flip up so it can be accessed as a chest.
I have blue board in one of my windows and need to get a second piece for the other window but the -14 degree temps have been over for a while so hopefully ill be good on that haha

2012 is the model year. I was carrying a decent folding mountain bike in back of the bed next to my fridge, tons of room still with the 8ft bed. This time I'm going to try to put it in the back seat because the truck bed space is more easily accessible for other things.

My window coverings are insulated, I had my mother sew some panels up out of Reflectix and quilting blankets. It looks like a simple curtain but its a semi rigid double sided panel that folds up. They are attached with velcro to the truck shell. The shell has a carpet liner and the velcro sticks to it. I take down 3 of the panels while driving. No lights can be seen on the outside and I have slept in a fancy resort parking lot recently when I got dragged to Palm Springs. I couldn't sleep in the room so I went outside and slept in the truck. Luckily I always kept a sleeping bag and pillow back there :)

I think the foam type insulation would be better since there would be moisture back there at times. I have denim insulation for the truck bed walls. I'm probably going to rip it out at some point and put in foam.

I do have under the bed storage and the bed platform does hinge up. I used some regular home door hinges. I have about 4 or 5 hinge doors instead of one or two big ones.

rhineholio

I didn't realize you could get an 8' bed on a 2nd gen.
The carpet is great for attaching things temporarily.
I used the bubble wrap insulation from Lowe's it was about $50 and covered everything I needed it to. Not a bad option as long as you cover the gaps between the topper and truck bed.
Do you have a bed liner in your truck?
I would like to put 2 bikes in the back when I go on trips. Take a road/ touring bike and mountain bike. I would get a receiver hitch rack but then the bikes get caked in road grime and its a pain to get in and out of the truck when you park somewhere to sleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior