Tundra.... Would you switch from a new Ram Powerwagon?

Mccool

Observer
Chrysler DNA vs. Toyota DNA?

I'd go with Toyota any day, any time, any place. Period.

The last Chrysler product I owned had to have the entire steering assembly replaced at 28,000 miles due to metal fatigue.

It would do stupid, ridiculous things such as drive to an airport just fine, return from a 3-day trip and simply not start. Turns out it was a CPU covered under warranty but what a POS. It was constant battle of all kinds of maladies that meant I got to know every Chrysler dealer's service team on a first name basis.

My Toyotas on the other hand... nothing but bliss!

I wouldn't spend a red cent on modifying a Chrysler vehicle of any stripe. Of course, I wouldn't even buy one in the first place so it's a non-issue...

I agree. I have had horrible luck with Chrysler products. Cheap interiors and plenty of warranty work.

My tundra on the other hand has well over 100,000 trouble free miles without an issue.

With that said, the power wagon seems like a very capable off road machine. I wish Toyota would make a tundra with all those options.

Both trucks get horrible MPG

Jollyrogers

Observer
I shopped last year, and the price for a loaded Tundra was not very negotiable for some reason. The dealer saw I was driving a Toyota and just went on about it's a yota, and how good they are. I went and bought a Ram 2500 two weeks later - and went diesel, for 8k more, but happy I did. This from a 20 year Toyota owner, two pickups, and currently a 4Runner... w/ 150k on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gkcarmory

Observer
The only reason I would think about voting for Tundra is if you wanted to go fast. A LT Tundra with a supercharger would be amazing. ....

My buddy just did this to his 2015 platinum tundra...

I would personally go with the factory winch, lockers, Solid axles and sway disconnects..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racerjb

Observer
I had a 2010 ram 2500 diesel and switched to a 14 tundra. I prefer the tundra for many reason. There is a lot of hidden expenses I did not realize with the ram. The tundra rides better, bit smaller, way more reliable. But it's a half ton so that's what I expected. When lifting the ram there's a lot to it, in order to do it right. Aftermarket trac bar, steering stabilizers, control arms, steering brace, sway bar, shocks, springs, shackles. and more .those all add up in cost. Plus the ball joints suck and have to be replaced often. Tranny issues along with emissions issue I was starting to have with the diesel at the time due to the dpf.

I would only get a ram if towing something big or a hard side camper. However, I do like the aev ram but it's still a ram and a big truck . I prefer my tundra with a OME lift and 35s. I Feel it's a good compromise between a tacoma and a 2500 truck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Judoka: I'm confused about your question. Initially it sounded like you already owned the Power Wagon and were thinking of trading it in on a Tundra. Later on you made it sound as if you did not own the PW.
There's an old saying that goes "the cheapest vehicle is the one you already own."
There's also a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison of a light duty half ton truck (the Tundra) vs. a heavy duty 3/4 ton (the PW.)

Judoka

Learning To Live
Also, if you are looking at the Tundra why not a nice compromise in the ecodiesel ram? What about a new silverado or f150?

I sold Ram and Jeep for 4 years and of course have been Certified. I have owner a 2013 JKU Rubicon a 2014 Ram 1500 Q-Cab, and now have a 2014 Ram 2500. So, needless to say, I feel qualified to profess that I have absolutely no desire to own a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel! That is a $50k disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

Judoka

Learning To Live
The entire reason for my question was to gather LOGICAL opinions. I proposed Power Wagon because that is one of the options I have been considering upgrading to instead of building upon my current 2014 Ram 2500. As I stated in an earlier post, I have been a Chrysler Certified Sales Professional for the past 4 years. During that time I have owned a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, a 2014 Ram 1500 and for the past year now a 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with a 6.4L Hemi. HOWEVER, I am now selling Toyota, and I like to drive the product I sell. I find it is easier to sell something I believe in, and I want to own something I believe in. Therefore I was strongly considering trading out of my Ram into a Tundra.

Admittedly, I have had my reservations. Now that I have received this feedback, I am certain that I will NOT be trading into a Tundra. In fact, I am actually having some reservations about them in general. I did after all post up in a TOYOTA loyal forum, and the overall response has not been overwhelmingly positive for the Tundra. Of course that was my second reason for posting up the question; to find out what this community thought about Tundras.
Thank you all very much for lending me your opinions and experiences! You have prevented me from making a decision I would likely regret.

Judoka

Learning To Live
I was thinking that a Toyota might be more reliable, but with a Lifetime Warranty on my Ram it seems completely illogical to worry too much about it.

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
I was thinking that a Toyota might be more reliable, but with a Lifetime Warranty on my Ram it seems completely illogical to worry too much about it.
Kinda depends how you perceive a "lifetime warranty". Same with some of the oem's. Not pointing fingers but some OEM's just slap a warranty on it because it's cheaper and easier to do then fix the problem. I always think to myself: all the warranty in the world won't do me any good when I'm broke in the middle of B of E. I always say I don't want a warranty I want a product that does not break.
Just saying.
Cameron

Last edited:

Judoka

Learning To Live
True. I agree with that. Hence why I even though about it. But I have come to trust and respect my Ram after selling them for the past few years and owning a couple. Basically I love my truck.

ripperj

Explorer
Keep the Ram you have, throw a Carli starter kit and some lockers on it, along with a winch and you will be 98% there for less money than taking a hit on what you have and buying new.
Plus yours will ride much nicer and get 5+ mpg better( I don't recall if you mentioned your gearing, but the PW gets horrible mpg)
My 2500 '12 5.7 hemi gets 15.5 almost always, down to 12-13 with a light sunlite popup truck camper

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

racerjb

Observer
If you are committed to selling Toyotas and plan to sell them for awhile. Then for that reason it might best to sell your ram and get a tundra. Not only will you own a great vehicle but your personal sales might be increase. And you can provide customers direct experience and feedback.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Proof that car salesmen don't know jack. The whole premise and fact gathering process in this thread is pointless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne