Tundra.... Would you switch from a new Ram Powerwagon?

Judoka

Learning To Live
I do appreciate everyone's input. Again I would like to ask why for those answers without explanation please.

Judoka

Learning To Live
To make this a little more interesting, lets forego Power Wagon and say it was a 2014 Ram 2500 (non Power Wagon so we can dispense of the lockers and the sway bar, since lockers can be added. Lets presume I have the financial means to make it happen as such)
The vehicle is a daily driver and will spend about 60% of its life on pavement, 20% on fairly well maintained ranch roads, (dirt) and the other 20% of the time I will actually be off road through rough terrain doing my freelance work. During that 20%, the truck CANNOT FAIL.
Both trucks will carry my gear for extended excursions easily. Typically once a year for a week of very remote areas of the Southwest and Mexico. And of course, dreaming more than doing...A long term journey in the next 5 years, so the truck must last that long.
If that does not paint the picture we can start making things up. YES! I am looking for the ultimate truck for ALL applications...which everyone knows does not actually exist. I am not mechanically inclined really, so Durability and Dependability in remote rugged terrain are paramount.

Last edited:

Judoka

Learning To Live
Again, than you all for the insight! I am about to spend a great deal of money on modifications so I want to be certain that I am going in the right direction.

haven

Expedition Leader
The RAM 2500 has about 1000 lb more payload capacity than the Tundra. If you need the capacity to haul a camper of any size, or gear for work, then there's the answer.

Judoka

Learning To Live
The RAM 2500 has about 1000 lb more payload capacity than the Tundra. If you need the capacity to haul a camper of any size, or gear for work, then there's the answer.

As I said, Both trucks are able to carry all of my gear easily. I have re-purposed a lot of my Hiking and Motorcycle Expedition equipment so, strangely enough my payload requirements are quite low actually. Both have relatively comparable bed sizes too, so my setup can be similar. I intend to just use a camper shell and create kind of a "Stealth Camper" if you will.

However, I must admit the ride of the Ram is quite nice, and an over-abundance of payload capacity is not harming anything. Also the Ram does lend to a few more possibilities given that extra capacity.

ripperj

Explorer
I have had both, the Tundra would be more nimble, get slightly better mpg. If you don't need the payload, then the toyota rides better.
Either one will last five years and get you in and out of the woods

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

bkg

Explorer
To make this a little more interesting, lets forego Power Wagon and say it was a 2014 Ram 2500 (non Power Wagon so we can dispense of the lockers and the sway bar, since lockers can be added. Lets presume I have the financial means to make it happen as such)
The vehicle is a daily driver and will spend about 60% of its life on pavement, 20% on fairly well maintained ranch roads, (dirt) and the other 20% of the time I will actually be off road through rough terrain doing my freelance work. During that 20%, the truck CANNOT FAIL.
Both trucks will carry my gear for extended excursions easily. Typically once a year for a week of very remote areas of the Southwest and Mexico. And of course, dreaming more than doing...A long term journey in the next 5 years, so the truck must last that long.
If that does not paint the picture we can start making things up. YES! I am looking for the ultimate truck for ALL applications...which everyone knows does not actually exist. I am not mechanically inclined really, so Durability and Dependability in remote rugged terrain are paramount.

does not change my opinion. You'd be trading a fully boxed frame, solid axles (FF rear, IIRC) for we wet-noodled frame (and frankly) poor build quality in the tundra. I have 1100 miles on my '15. It's likely my last Toyota TRUCK purchase. Our 4Runner is amazing.

rcintx

Adventurer
I would (and probably will in my next truck) go with the Ram 2500. Even without the PW additions, I believe that the Ram is a better deal than the Tundra. Price seems to be pretty comparative and MPG is very similar as well. In the 2500 you get heavier duty suspension, larger brakes, etc. Just my thoughts.

bkg

Explorer
Again, than you all for the insight! I am about to spend a great deal of money on modifications so I want to be certain that I am going in the right direction.

you'll spend less in mods on the Ram than you will the Tundra.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Chrysler DNA vs. Toyota DNA?

I'd go with Toyota any day, any time, any place. Period.

The last Chrysler product I owned had to have the entire steering assembly replaced at 28,000 miles due to metal fatigue.

It would do stupid, ridiculous things such as drive to an airport just fine, return from a 3-day trip and simply not start. Turns out it was a CPU covered under warranty but what a POS. It was constant battle of all kinds of maladies that meant I got to know every Chrysler dealer's service team on a first name basis.

My Toyotas on the other hand... nothing but bliss!

I wouldn't spend a red cent on modifying a Chrysler vehicle of any stripe. Of course, I wouldn't even buy one in the first place so it's a non-issue...

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
This is what I am looking for. Passion and reason. I appreciate you guys helping me!

Seems your mind was already made up and just looking for support. The logic is that the Ram is a better truck. Anyone who says different is putting emotion in front of fact. And this is from a Toyota owner. Oh... and tomorrow my truck goes into the dealer for an issue I've had since day 1. Two weeks, two trips in. And thus far, they have no clue how to fix the issues, but at least recognize and admit them. So to say Toyota is by definition better than Ram because it's a Toyota - sorry, that's just not the fact anymore.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Everyone is saying the Tundra gets better mileage, but once you lift it, add 33s, and a winch I bet the difference would be negligible. The tundra is not known for gas mileage. It's probably the worst out of all the 1/2 tons....

The only reason I would think about voting for Tundra is if you wanted to go fast. A LT Tundra with a supercharger would be amazing. Then again, a Carli Powerwagon would be too....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior